We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sim card

Philippi, West...
1 post
Save Topic
sim card

Just purchased a motorola v180 used unlocked phone from ebay to use for our trip to ireland. We will need the phone to check in with b&bs and to check in with family in the states. I noticed they have tesco mobile sim cards for purchase on ebay. Was wondering if this was the best way so I dont have to worry about finding one there and we would already have a number. is there a specific card that needs to be purchased for international calls? and can regular text messages be made from the standard sim card and not a 3g card..thanks for any input...

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,667 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sim card

If you buy a card on ebay you have the number etc in advance. Any should work for Intl calls, once you have credit.

The Tesco sim won't work in the US, for test purposes, although one from Vodafone will (if the phone will).

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,968 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sim card

It would need to be a Tesco Ireland sim card not a UK version. The Irish 3g card operates on the Hutchinson 3g network which gives you the all the options the old (6months ago) version operates on O2 Ireland network and I am unsure if this gives the low rate international calls and definitely wont give you the GPS, email or data functions.

los angeles
Level Contributor
78 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sim card

Did you end up buying a sim card once in Ireland. I leave in 3 days, so don't have time to order on line. Are they easy enuf to find in dublin? I have a phone.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sim card

Mobile phone shops are everywhere in Ireland, Tesco is a supermarket chain and has many city locations as well ones in towns throughout Ireland. Tell us where you are staying and we can tell you which is closest to your hotel.

5. Re: sim card

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 04:17