We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to West Coast Ireland Oct.2011

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Traveling to West Coast Ireland Oct.2011

My husband and I will travel to Ireland for 7 nights and 8 days leaving Sept. 29 and flying back to the states Oct 7th. This is our first trip. We are flying in and out of Shannon airport. We would ideally like to stay 3 nights in 1 area and 4 nights in another. We really like Co. Clare area, Galway, Co. Mayo, maybe Dingle.

What are the best towns to stay at in these areas?

Should be do Clare and a town farther north or Clare and an area further South?

Any advice is appreciated!! Thanks

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,544 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling to West Coast Ireland Oct.2011

3 Nights near Ballyvaughan in County Clare would give you lots of options for touring that great County.

Then you have a few options but my two favourites would be:

Stay the four nights in Dingle thus allowing you to explore the Dingle and Iveraghs peninsulas, with options to go further afield into beautiful County Cork if time allowed.

Alternatively stay somewhere on the outskirts of Galway city giving you options to do day trips into Connemara, mayo and sligo.

It's a difficult choice as both north and south of County Clare are wonderful, however, if you forced me to choose, it would have to be Dingle (County Kerry for me), as I believe that area has the slight edge when it comes to scenic beauty.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,334 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling to West Coast Ireland Oct.2011

I am going to get get some stick for this but.

2 nights in or near Galway for the City, Connamara and North Clare. Then down from Galway to Kenmare via the Cliffs of Moher, Shannon ferry, Listowel and Killarney.

Drive time is about 4 1/2 hours plus stops.

4 nights in or near Killarney or Kenmare for the Kerry area including Dingle. Kenmare is a bit further than Killarney driving down from Galway but gives beter acces for day trips to Beara and west Cork.

Finally one night either Bunratty, Ennis or Shannon before the flight home.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling to West Coast Ireland Oct.2011

Thank you for the suggestions!

We are liking the idea of staying in Co. Clare 3 or 4 days and then down to Dingle for 3-4 days.

I hope its not to hard to drive up in to Galway/Mayo and do some day trips up there from Co. Clare? I just don't want to miss that area totally

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,055 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling to West Coast Ireland Oct.2011

Hi, I think the Galway area is a better base, if you want to visit Mayo.

Dingle is lovely, but I wouldn't spend 4 days there - don't think it's well situated for touring other parts of Kerry.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,465 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling to West Coast Ireland Oct.2011

There is plenty to do in Dingle for your 3-4 nights, but as been said already it is not an ideal base if you want to do day trips to the other peninsulas, as it takes the best part of an hour to get off the Dingle peninsula

6. Re: Traveling to West Coast Ireland Oct.2011

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 00:17