We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

US Dollar to Euro (Budget Travelers)

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
227 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
US Dollar to Euro (Budget Travelers)

While I am very excited about our upcoming trip in 9 days, I gotta say that I am not liking this exchange rate.

Looks like no splurging for us! Are anyone else's travels going to be affected by the exchange rate? If so, how?

Here are the changes we are making: We are not going to be eating out much. I plan on buying food from the grocery stores and just snack throughout the day instead of eating big meals. We will have to cut back on what we were planning on spending on alcohol as well. No HOHO bus for us, it will be cheaper to get around by foot. OH and we will definitely take advantage of the Heritage card!

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,055 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: US Dollar to Euro (Budget Travelers)

Hi mrstraveler9, Sound like good ideas. Also, at dinner, you can often eat inexpensively in pubs, "home-cooking" like beef stew.

Also, a pint is a lot of beer (to me, anyway) - you can nurse one of them through an evening......

North Canton, Ohio
Level Contributor
42 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: US Dollar to Euro (Budget Travelers)

We are going to try for more "early bird" dinners and also try eating at pubs... my in laws will never go for the idea of just snacking from stuff at the grocery store! lol

My husband and I have really cut back on souvenirs in the recent years... and since his parents will be with us - we do not have to buy anything for them! hehehe... I was lucky I paid for the hotels and a few tours before the rate jumped so much! so we saved money there!

you can book the HoHo bus on viatar.com and pay in US dollars now.... just a thought ??

My father in law is insisting that we are not going to be driving much - so he can stay at the hotel while we spend our money on gas and see the sites.... we have been saving for close to a year.... and now - it is just a week away!!!!!!!

Edited: 01 May 2011, 11:57
Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
303 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: US Dollar to Euro (Budget Travelers)

I hope the exchange rate becomes more favourable next year when we go. I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed. When we went last October, we economized by eating most dinners in pubs. We were not dissapointed. In addition, we stayed in B&Bs that served big breakfasts so we mostly snacked for lunch.

DO NOT forgo the HOHO bus. This was a great value and well worth the money. The pass we bought was good for 2 days.

Had to snicker about the souvenirs. We roamed around a souvenir store in Dublin for about an hour. Walked out with less than €10.00 worth. In fact my favourite souvenirs are the newspapers I brought back.

Have a great trip.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
515 posts
318 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: US Dollar to Euro (Budget Travelers)

Wife and I leave tomorrow for Dublin, we already have plans on what souvenirs we will get and the costs. Pubs are going to be our main meal choices. Definitely won't be as cheap as our Ixtapa trip last year where the 2 of us could eat a great meal for under $10 total.

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,531 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: US Dollar to Euro (Budget Travelers)

And, for anyone who will be visiting (or lives in) Dublin and likes Indian food, how about Madina on Mary St:

irishtimes.com/newspaper/…1224295509836.html

@mrstraveler9: I wouldn't forego eating out altogether or even mostly, especially if you go for the aforementioned pub lunches or Early Bird menus.

A visit to a pub for a few drinks and/or to listen to some music and interact with locals or visitors from elsewhere can be every bit as special a part of the experience of Ireland as visiting a historic site or checking off other 'must see' places.

If it is feasible, I would spend a little more while in Ireland and cut back on spending on my return to the US. I agree completely with the suggestion to ease up (or, cut out completely) spending on souvenirs.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,702 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: US Dollar to Euro (Budget Travelers)

Start the day with a good breakfast a full Irish keeps me going till early afternoon, there are lots of good small cafés all over Ireland for light lunch or just a sandwich. Early bird menus and back street pub grub will keep the evening meal cost down. Drink draught beers rather than spirits and mixers, if wine is your choice a bottle of house wine could be cheaper than a couple of the small 1/4 bottles. Hotels charging room only plus breakfast should be used room only where a local café will charge 1/2 the hotel rate. Don't be afraid to ask locals where to go, the smoking ban means there are lots of folk standing around pub doorways, usually locals and usually helpful. There are a few souvenirs to be found at sensible prices but at smaller shops and steer clear of Guinness merchandise you can buy cheaper at home on the net.

7. Re: US Dollar to Euro (Budget Travelers)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 00:18