We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Feedback and Advice?

Boston
Level Contributor
525 posts
Save Topic
Itinerary Feedback and Advice?

Hello Again, All!

Thank you all so much for your feedback on my recent posts to the forum regarding our trip in July. Based on your advice, we've expanded our days! We'll now be there from the 6th through the 17th.

Below is our plan - are we doing too much? Are we crazy? What should we cut? At this point, we don't want to add anything. The only thing we can't change is the trip to Killarney, where my cousins live. In earlier posts, I thought they lived in Cork. OOPS! Needless to say, we'll be skipping Cork and going to Killarney!

We are planning on renting a car for the duration of our trip, but I am happy to take the train (my husband, however, would prefer to drive).

Arrive Dublin 5:20am Thursday July 7th

7-7 to 7-9 (Thurs-Sat) - explore Dublin and drink Guinness (!)

7-9 (Sat) - Drive to Kilkenny for the Smithwick's factory

7-9 (Sat) - Evening drive to Cashel and spend the night

7-10 (Sun) - Explore Rock of Cashel, Cashel town

7-10 (Sun) - Evening drive to Killarney to visit cousins

7-10 to 7-13 (Sun evening-Wed evening) - Visit cousins and family farm

7-13 (Wed) - Evening drive to Dingle

7-14 (Thurs) - Ride a horse on the beach!

7-14 (Thurs) - Evening drive to Doolin for Cliffs of Moher

7-15 (Fri) - Visit Cliffs of Moher

7-16 (Sat) - Drive/Train back to Dublin, probably from Galway?

Saturday night in Dublin

Sunday - fly home :-(

I have a few concerns with this:

1. I'm not sure we should be driving on the rural roads after dark

2. If we can't/shouldn't drive in the evening, that limits what we can do for sight seeing, right?

3. Should we skip something? Cliffs of Moher? Cashel? Thoughts?

4. Everyone says (ok...guidebooks and Trip Advisor!) that the Dingle Peninsula is AMAZING - and that's where the horses are. Should we just skip the Cliffs of Moher and head back to Dublin from Dingle? I think there might be a train that we can take from Kilkenny back to Dublin. Should we be considering this?

THANK YOU ALL for your help - we are indebted to you! :-)

Uni

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,376 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Feedback and Advice?

It is bright until 10pm in July, not driving in the dark doesn't greatly diminish sightseeing opportunities, with a bit of planning. The real problem with driving is that the driver cannot avail of the products in Smithwicks etc. Kilkenny is on a rail route, but it is also feasible to proceed to Cashel from there.

Edited: 30 April 2011, 23:59
carolinas
Level Contributor
219 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Feedback and Advice?

Hi Uni,

Your itinerary is basically the one we just completed last week. If you hit my name you'll see my trip reports. My suggestions:

Don't drive at night.

You won't need a full day in Cashel. Spend a nice full day in Kilkenny and get to Cashel (before dark). We stayed at Joys Rockside which was brilliant. We were first on the Rock next morning.

Don't drive after dark.

I suggest you spend 2 nights in Dingle. Pax Guest House. You can leave on Friday, take the coastal road - Shannon Ferry - see the Cliffs and stop someplace like Ballyvaughan. We stayed at Cappahaile House where the owner has impromptu trad music sessions in the lounge.

Don't drive after dark.

We made it back to the Dublin area in about 3 hours from there. Stayed in Malahide at the Grand Hotel. 10 minutes to the airport the next morning.

Have a grand trip. God bless and don't drive at night.

Frank

Wenonah, New Jersey
Level Contributor
153 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Feedback and Advice?

7/7 Drive to Kilkenny for night

7/8 Drive to Killarney with stop in Cashel

7-9 and 7/10 Killarney

7/11 Drive to Dingle for night

7/12 Drive to Galway via Cliffs for 2 nights

7/14 to 7/ 7/16 stay in Dublin

## You land at 5:20Am You could take the drive to Kilkenny and be there by 9:00. Kilkenny is a great city to explore for the day . A lot more to do than Cashel for a night.

### It still gives you the three nights in Killarney

#### Full day in DIngle with a night.

#### Galway is a great town to see. You will hit Cliffs early afternoon and be in Galway by 5:00

#### Check car back on 14th and spend two and a half days in Dublin

I don't know if the three days with family had to be the exact dates you liste or just three days.

Option two

7/7 and 7/8 Drive to Galway for two nights

7/9 Drive to Dingle via Cliffs. Dingle for night.

7/10 to 7/12 Drive to Killarney after horsback

7/13 Drive to Kilkenny for night via cashel

7/14 o 7/16 Drive to Dublin for three nights.

Just my opinion. I have been to Ireland twice before and I am going back in August. I fly in from Philladelphia. People have different opinions on the jet lag thing. I think you land so early in morning that it is easier to get some driving out of the way early. Plus you cannot checkin to b&b or hotel yet.

Even on option two, it's about 3 hrs. to galway. Pick somewhere halfway for breakfast and you will still get there late morning.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,376 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Feedback and Advice?

Rental cars have lights. Driving in the dark can present some navigational difficulties, but it seems to be wiser than driving after only 2 hours sleep on a plane.

Wenonah, New Jersey
Level Contributor
153 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Feedback and Advice?

To DragonUnicorn,

Just my opinion on jet lag.I know of a lot of people who feel the same way.

I also know people who need to sleep the next day. Nothing personal, If it helps you to have another option, thats great.if not, then you can ignore it.

I am sorry to all the jet lag police out there. Perhaps we can have an international law passed that requires everyone that travels by airplane be required to go straight to their acoomodations and sleep before attempting to drive an automobile.

Boston
Level Contributor
525 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary Feedback and Advice?

Thank you so much to all!!!

I don't think we'll be too jet lagged. Although this is our first trip to Ireland, we've flown to Europe a few times before. My husband is rarely jet-lagged (we really should try to bottle whatever he has running through his veins) and drives often for work, so I'm not concerned there. I, on the other hand, will be a zombie no matter what. Thank God I'm not driving! :-)

Michele and Bill - thanks so much for 2 great options. I think we would prefer to begin our trip in Dublin, but now we have more to think about!

Frank - love the idea of seeing the cliffs via the coastal road. Do we take the Shannon Ferry? Can the car come too? How does that all work?

Gaelflyer - can we/should we skip renting the car in Dublin and take the train to Kilkenny? If we do this, can we rent a car in Kilkenny and drive to Cashel and Killarney from there?

Enormous thank yous to all - if thank yous can be enormous!

It seems from everyone's posts that we should definitely not skip the Cliffs of Moher!

Thanks again,

Uni

carolinas
Level Contributor
219 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary Feedback and Advice?

Uni- When you go the Shannon Ferry will be departing Tarbert every half hour. You queue up and just drive your car on for a 20 minute ride across the Shannon. The drive up to the Cliffs is pretty. We stopped in Kilkee for lunch - a lovely little beach town - and made the Cliffs in about 3 hours from Dingle. The Cliffs are worth an hour or so. You can easily see them on the way and spend the night in Doolin or Ballyvaughan.

I think your itinerary is perfect. I would just add the second night in Dingle and skip the 2 nights in the Doolin area.

Frank

Wenonah, New Jersey
Level Contributor
153 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary Feedback and Advice?

Thank You. I hope you have a great time and I know you will..

Boston
Level Contributor
525 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary Feedback and Advice?

Thank you thank you thank you!!!

I'm starting to favor the idea of taking the train from Dublin to Galway when we arrive and do Dublin at the end of the trip instead of at the beginning. This will give me another 2.5 hours to sleep before we get to Galway, where we can pick up the car and go to the Cliffs.

Frank, I'm assuming we can still do the Shannon Ferry with the car, just in reverse? Take it from the Cliffs to Tarbert? Then we can drive the 3 hours to Dingle. We're taking your advice and planning on another night there - we have to see your marriage rock - we'll celebrate our 9th anniversary in October, but I want to "renew our vows" there! By the way - LOVED your trip posts, especially the one about the church! You're fabulous!

Uni

10. Re: Itinerary Feedback and Advice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 01:17