We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please Help With An Itinerary Before My Wife Kills Me

Lee's Summit...
Level Contributor
42 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Please Help With An Itinerary Before My Wife Kills Me

My wife and I will be spending 13 nights in Ireland and, of course, we want to relax and enjoy ourselves while seeing the entire island. We will be renting a car. Please help us create a somewhat realistic itinerary.

We will arrive and leave from Shannon. We enjoy scenery (Cliffs of Moher, Giant's Causeway, Ring of Skellig), food (restaurants and markets), Guiness, and animals. At the risk of sounding sexist, my wife enjoys shopping - not at malls.

The idea of visiting/staying in a haunted castle is very appealing; otherwise, we are leaning to B&Bs (though we are open to suggestions).

Despite the way this reads, we are quite flexible and dislike the idea of the pressure of prepaid reservations.

To those of you who attempt to respond to, and not make fun of nor berate me for, this request my sincerest thanks.

Edited: 08 May 2011, 22:41
belfast
Level Contributor
1,527 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please Help With An Itinerary Before My Wife Kills Me

i need help with Itinerary to im starting to get square eyes been looking at that many sites lol.

Wenonah, New Jersey
Level Contributor
153 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Please Help With An Itinerary Before My Wife Kills Me

Thirteen days is really not enough time to see the whole island if you want to relax and enjoy youselves. I would checout a guidebook and decide the region you want to do. Good idea is to do the South or North from Shannon to Dublin and drive back to shannon.

Most first timers drive long distances everyday and skip over many sights.

Try and base yourself in 4 or 5 spots and spend 2 or three nights in each..

Day 1-4 in Kerry area

### Ring of Kerry, Dingle Peninsula, Beara Peninsula, Gap of Dunloe

Day 5-6 - Cork area

### Blarney Castle, Cork,Kinsale, Cobh

Day 7 - Drive to Kilkenny with stops at Cahir Castle and Rock of Cashel

Day8 -9

####Dublin

Day10-12 Galway

### Aran Islands, Connemara, Galway City

Day 13 Back to Shannon via Cliffs of Moher and Burren

Just some ideas, This is not even half the island and I left out a lot of things in areas I mentioned.

Good Luck ! The people on this site are very helpful, but it's your vacation, give them some idea on what you want to see.

Lee's Summit...
Level Contributor
42 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please Help With An Itinerary Before My Wife Kills Me

Thank you for the advice. We are going to try and get to at least one of the food festivals that overlap with our visit. We are not big fans of cities and prefer smaller towns/countryside so, as odd as it may seem, we may save Dublin and other major cities for another time.

West Chicago...
Level Contributor
2,468 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please Help With An Itinerary Before My Wife Kills Me

I absolutely love Dublin. I've spent time there on each and every trip I've made to Ireland. And my favorite place in all of Ireland is in the next county south (Co. Wicklow), Glendalough.

That said, given your desires, time frame and using Shannon for both arrival and departure, I would agree that you should skip Dublin and the nearby sites such as Glendalough. And oh, it pains me to say that! ;-)

So, given that you'd like to see a lot of Ireland, and yet be relaxed, I'd suggest keeping primarily to the southwest and west of Ireland. In particular Counties Cork, Kerry, Clare and Galway will have more than enough to fill your 13 days and nights and should 'tick' all your boxes. You might want to dive a bit inland and visit sights such as micheleandbill recommended such as Rock of Cashel, Cahir Castle and Kilkenny. I'd also throw in Clonmacnoise (especially since Glendalough will probably not fit into this trip). Try to stay a minimum of two nights in any one location, and three nights would be even better. (Kilkenny might be the one exception...great place to visit, but given your desires, one night is probably the right amount in Kilkenny.)

Micheleandbill has given you a nice breakdown. But given your desire to not do Dublin this time around, I'd take those two nights and add them to Co. Kerry. You could then split your time between Dingle and either Killarney or Kenmare (I'd choose Kenmare so that you have a good base for seeing the Ring of Beara).

So, just some preliminary thoughts. Hope that they're helpful.

Keith

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,384 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please Help With An Itinerary Before My Wife Kills Me

Personally I would split the Island in Half and concentrate on one section. The normal line is Dublin to Shannon but there is no harm in making it the Giants Causeway to Skellig Michael. Possibly not what some on here might suggest but then there's a joker in every pack.

Shannon Airport, early arrival aim for Roscrea and Leap Castle for the Ghost fix, up to Clonmacnoise for a look around finishing the day in Carrick on Shannon.

Taking the route north to Portrush you can call in at Enniskellin and Omah (Ulster American Folk Park). Portrush is a good base for Antrim and Derry and could be a place for a two night stay.

Crossing the Foyle by Ferry rather than the Bridge is a pleasant scenic option to Donegal where after checking into your accommodation you could drive out to the Slieve League.

Sligo and Mayo has an amassing coastline and many other options before reaching Westport and walking up Crogh Patrick.

Galway would be my next destination having driven around the Connamara with Kylemore Abbey, and the Sky road from Clifden before taking the loop round Roundstone or the Old Bog road.

From Galway head south again past the Burren and Cliffs of Moher down the west Clare coast and across the Shannon heading as do most to Dingle.

My next stop would be Killarney to explore some of Kerry and Skellig Michael before the final night around Shannon possibly Bunratty.

http://leapcastle.net/

http://www.nmni.com/uafp/About-Us

http://www.northantrim.com/

http://www.derryvisitor.com/

http://www.myguideireland.com/slieve-league

www.museumsofmayo.com/croaghpatrick.htm

http://www.connemara.ie/en/

http://www.galway.net/

www.burrenbeo.com/…

http://www.doolin-tourism.com/

Edited: 09 May 2011, 09:15
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,384 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please Help With An Itinerary Before My Wife Kills Me

Can't edit twice.

maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms…

Louisburgh, Ireland
Level Contributor
49 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please Help With An Itinerary Before My Wife Kills Me

With thirteen day's I'd be inclined to stick to the West Coast if I were you and maybe a bit of Dublin if you want to see the Capital.

Worth spending a night or two in Galway to see the City, the Cliffs of Moher and Connemara. Alternatively you could spend a night in Ennis, Co. Clare- do the Cliffs of Moher and the Burren, then head up towards Galway, spend a night there- enjoy the traditional music and a pint of Guiness.

Clifden could be a nice place to stay to explore Connemara, it's the main town in Connemara. See Roundstone, Connemara National Park, Killary Harbour, Kylemore Abbey, Leenane where they filmed the Field.

You could then drive up along the R335 towards Louisburgh, through Doolough Valley where the Famine Walk took place and go from Louisburgh to Westport and spend a night or two there.

Westport is a fabulous town for tourists, nestled at the foot of Croagh Patrick, Irelands Holy Mountain. Great to climb to get a good look out a beautiful Clew Bay and it's 365 Islands. Have a pint of Guinness in Matt Molloy's pub where there is wonderful traditional music and quirky west of Ireland locals.

From Westport I'd recommend you drive out to Achill Island where there is one of Granuaile's - the Pirate Queen's old Castles. The Desserted Village near Keem beach from Famine Times and don't forget to do the Coastal drive along the stunning cliffs. Achill Island is actually a Penninsula so you can drive onto the island. Many beautiful B&B's to stay here.

Don't miss Killarney and the Ring of Kerry either, it's stunning down there!

Lee's Summit...
Level Contributor
42 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please Help With An Itinerary Before My Wife Kills Me

tony2phones-

Thank you. What a wonderful itinerary. You included all of our high priority sights.

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,055 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please Help With An Itinerary Before My Wife Kills Me

@ tony2phones - nice itinerary! Put a picture frame around that one :)

Lee's Summit...
Level Contributor
42 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please Help With An Itinerary Before My Wife Kills Me

We recently returned from Ireland and had a wonderful time.

I would like to thank everyone for their advice.