We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 Fast and Specific Questions!

Boston
Level Contributor
525 posts
Save Topic
2 Fast and Specific Questions!

Hello Again Friends!

I was hoping for a bit more info from you Ireland lovers, so here are my 2 specific questions. I actually looked for these answers on the forum already using the search button and couldn't quite find what I needed, so thanks in advance for the help!

Quetstion #1: We fly into Dublin at 5:20am on a Thursday, and want to go right to the Cliffs of Moher. Do we take the train to Galway and then rent a car at Hertz and drive to the Cliffs, OR do we rent the car from Hertz in Dublin and drive right to the Cliffs? Jet lag not a factor - husband doesn't get jet-lagged. Lucky him!

Question #2: After we see the Cliffs, we're not sure where to stay for the night. We will be driving the next day to Dingle, so we would like to start heading that way after we see the cliffs. We DO NOT want to drive back north toward Galway to stay the night just to drive back south the next day. Thought about staying at Moher Lodge but thought we may want to get a little closer to DIngle before we settle in for the night. Also thought about Dromoland, but it is expensive for one night when we'll be tired. Is that worth it, or should we stay somewhere else (preferably not a hostel)?

THANK YOU!!!

Uni

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,513 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 Fast and Specific Questions!

my response inline below prefixed by ####

Quetstion #1: We fly into Dublin at 5:20am on a Thursday, and want to go right to the Cliffs of Moher. Do we take the train to Galway and then rent a car at Hertz and drive to the Cliffs, OR do we rent the car from Hertz in Dublin and drive right to the Cliffs?

#### Definitely hire the car at Dublin Airport. Two reasons, the other option is very long winded, time consumming and of no benefit to you. Driving from Dublin towards the west at 06:30am approx in the morning will give you a great start onthe road.

Question #2: After we see the Cliffs, we're not sure where to stay for the night. We will be driving the next day to Dingle, so we would like to start heading that way after we see the cliffs. We DO NOT want to drive back north toward Galway to stay the night just to drive back south the next day. Thought about staying at Moher Lodge but thought we may want to get a little closer to DIngle before we settle in for the night. Also thought about Dromoland, but it is expensive for one night when we'll be tired. Is that worth it, or should we stay somewhere else (preferably not a hostel)?

#### Easy, stay in one of the many B&B's in nearby Doolin, (2 miles approx from Cliffs of M.. This will give you time to explore some more of beautiful county clare and yet you will be in a good position from which to start your journey on the following morning. It's 106 miles a travel time(via ferry at Kilrush) of 3.5 hours. I don't see any advantage to going any further down the road on day 1. However if you really want to have a shorter journey you could overnight in or near Listowel which is only 48 miles from Dingle (just over 1 hour drive).

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,048 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 Fast and Specific Questions!

Hertz office is Galway airport so you would need a taxi there from Eyre Square about €20 so I would personally hire from Dublin Airport and save the hassle.

Ennis might be a good overnight being just off the M18 and handy for the tunnel. Old Ground or Temple Gate hotel might suit.

Just curious though, If all you want to see is the Cliffs of Moher. Why bother? head straight to Dingle.

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,055 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 Fast and Specific Questions!

Hi, Taking the train to Galway will be exhausting, after a long flight - too many transfers. Be easy on yourselves, rent a car at DUB.

Boston
Level Contributor
525 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 Fast and Specific Questions!

AWESOME ADVICE!!!

Thank you all so much! We'll drive from Dublin then, which will make my husband happy - he likes to get right on the road!

I know we should just head to Dingle, but I am desperate to see those cliffs! I don't want to go all the way there to miss them; I've been wanting to see them since I was little. :-)

I think we'll take Bryno up on the Doolin plan. I bet I'll be exhausted by then and will be looking for a hot shower and some good pub food and a beer (or 2!). Any suggestions on accommodations in Doolin or pubs? I bet I'll get at good read on this if I hit the search button, though!

Thank you again so much everyone - can't tell you how very much I appreciate all your advice and your time!

Best,

Uni

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,048 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 Fast and Specific Questions!

If you are going down the Coast for the ferry allow a little time to get past Carrigaholt to Loop Head before taking the crossing

http://www.loophead.ie/

Boston
Level Contributor
525 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 Fast and Specific Questions!

Sounds great! Thanks!

How do the ferries work at Kilrush? I'm assuming that we drive there, wait in line, drive onto the ferry, and off we go to Dingle. Is that right? Should we plan to be there at a specific time in the day?

Thanks again so much!

Uni

West Chicago...
Level Contributor
2,468 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 Fast and Specific Questions!

Here's the webite for the Killimer-Tarbert ferry which includes a link to the timetables.

http://www.shannonferries.com/

Keith

West Chicago...
Level Contributor
2,468 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 Fast and Specific Questions!

Alright, I have an alternate view for your first day. One (not the only) of the main reasons to stay in Doolin is to enjoy the great trad music in the local pubs. Unfortunately, on your first day, that's simply not realistic, jet lag or not.

SO since you say your husband has no issues with jet lag, why not just bite the bullet and go all the way to Dingle? Lot of driving that day, sure (maybe 7 hours), but it'd be broken up with a stop at the Cliffs of Moher.

If you do decide to stay in the Cliffs/Doolin area, then obviously you can be a little more relaxed. I'd highly recommend a stop at Clonmacnoise (a bit south of Athlone) on your way to the Cliffs.

Keith

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 Fast and Specific Questions!

DragonUnicorn

If you do decide to stay in Doolin, then I recommend the Roadford end of the village, which is a bit quieter than Fisherstreet end. You'll find a couple of nice pubs - McGann's and McDermott's, plus a couple of good restaurants (both with rooms) : Roadford House and Cullinan's and some guest houses/b&bs as well:

irelands-directory.com/Clare/Doolin/maps.html

http://www.mcdermottspubdoolin.com/

http://www.mcgannspubdoolin.com/

http://www.roadfordrestaurant.com/

http://www.halfdoordoolin.com/

http://www.tirganean.ie/

http://www.cullinansdoolin.com/

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,513 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 Fast and Specific Questions!

In Doolin the only place I ever stayed was Atlantic view - just three minute walk to the village and it was very nice, + the O'Brien family were very nice.

Do make sure you look at the schdule for the ferry. Last time I used it I had no schedule and arrived there about 45 mins before the next sailing, hence a 45 minute maddening wait with nothing to do or see at the little ferry terminal at Kilrush.

You are correct you just drive into the ferry car park, get in line, drive on when in structed and when the ferry departs a man will call to your car to collect the fare. Nothing to stop you getting out of the car at this stage (make sure one stays in it to pay the fare), the journey is only 10 mins.