We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

water warning

latrobe,pa
Level Contributor
57 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
water warning

Becareful drinking tap water from bathrooms in Ireland. Upon arriving in Ireland I was thirsty and drank a glass of water from the bathroom tap. Didn't learn until it was too late that not all tap water is safe to drink. Hate for anyone else to suffer the same mistake I made.

Best Seller
Northern Ireland Highlights Day Trip...
673 reviews
from US$81.00*
Best Seller
Cliffs of Moher Tour and Galway from...
538 reviews
from US$56.10*
Best Seller
Cliffs of Moher Day Trip from Dublin
1,203 reviews
from US$62.30*
Best Seller
Blarney Castle and Cork Day Trip from...
1,055 reviews
from US$68.50*
Tralee, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Tralee
Level Contributor
4,060 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: water warning

Never had that problem in all the years I've been around Ireland. There was a problem in Galway about three years ago but that was dealt with.I hope the experience didn't upset your trip.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: water warning

In what way was the water unsafe to drink? who said so? were you ill?

In some hotels the cold water in the bathrooms comes from a tank in the roof, this can contain anything, dead birds etc. but this is not an Irish problem, it can happen anywhere. Mains tap water is perfectly safe.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
8,724 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: water warning

As Fuschiagirl has said, some in fact most, I would say,bathroom tap water comes from the tank in the attic and is fine for toothbrushing, washing etc. but not for drinking. I would never drink the water out of a tap in any bathroom anywhere in the world just in case.

All mains water in Ireland is safe to drink and is tested to the highest standards on a very regular basis.

Would you normally be able to drink the water from your own bathroom tap? I hope you weren't too put out by your experience and that you enjoyed the rest of your holidays.

Bloomington...
Level Contributor
311 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: water warning

Well, I guess you learn something every day as I have never heard this before. I thought all water came from the same source...at least I think it does in my hometown.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,737 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: water warning

What would be the Irish equivalent of Deli Belly? Tullamore Tummy?

Seriously though Chris was ill as a result of eating seafood chowder during the Galway problems in 07 but whether that was the water or solids content is anyone's guess.

North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: water warning

Wow I had never heard of this before.... I had thought all water comes from the same source too. Here it is safe to drink out of any tap.

Hmmm interesting you learn something new everyday.

latrobe,pa
Level Contributor
57 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: water warning

The water was from our hotel room's bathroom and I was down for about 24 hours. I later saw signs in several public restrooms and in some of the b&b's we stayed in that advised that thebathroom tap water was not suitable for drinking. @Dubfam in the States unless you live in the country and have a well, all water in our homes and hotels comes from the same source so the bathroom tap is perfectly safe. Otherwise we enjoyed our time in Ireland, just would hate for anyone else to lose a day of their vacation due to unnecessary illness.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
8,724 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: water warning

You poor thing Tammy - I would never have guessed that there would be a difference in plumbing either.

It's definitely something people should be aware of.

Glad to hear that you enjoyed the rest of your holiday.

Ireland
Level Contributor
916 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: water warning

Hi there,

have to say, I feel sick reading the posts, without drinking any water. Water in bathrooms comes from the mains, but via a storage tank, usually in attic space, making it unfit for drinking, unless boiled. But also, why would people want to drink from a tap next to a lavatory? Yuk!

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,641 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: water warning

Here in Ireland, unlike many places, water other than the kitchen tap and possibly the garden tap does not come from the mains.

We recently replaced our attic water tank (with a new sealed one) and the old one was frightening. No vermin or birds but lots and lots of rust. A friend of ours is a plumber and he says that some of the things he's found in tanks are scary.

But having said that, there are lots of tummy bugs going around constantly and anyone could pick one up at any time. These are not related to the water.

I'm sure some of you have read about the major issues cruise ships have been having with major epidemics of the novovirus.