We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cell phone for Ireland and Italy

Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Cell phone for Ireland and Italy

I am going to be in Ireland for 6 weeks and then I am going to Italy/Rome for 3 months. I'll need a cell phone. Anyone have suggestions? I have ATT and can add the international package that gives me .99 per min., but would the purchase of a phone in Ireland be a less expensive solution? How about an unlocked phone from eBay and purchase a pay by month sim card when I get there?

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,846 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cell phone for Ireland and Italy

Tesco mobile is the most cost effective pay as you go network in Ireland and another option might be Meteor who do not have Roaming charges in Europe so you could use the same Sim (and number) in both countries. I would consider an unlocked phone from Tesco at about €25 plus a Tesco Sim and credit for Ireland and then use the best Italian Sim when you get there.

http://www.tescomobile.ie/

http://www.meteor.ie/

Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cell phone for Ireland and Italy

Thank you!

indiana
Level Contributor
143 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cell phone for Ireland and Italy

I contacted tesco with this type of question today. They said that the phones are locked to their network however if I spend 150 euro on credit they would then be able to unlock the phone.

I think that I will just get an unlocked phone from ebay so that I can then use it in other locations.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,846 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cell phone for Ireland and Italy

There are unlocked phones on their shelves alongside their own and these start at €25 they are in Brown backed rather than Blue backed packaging. You might have to go instore to make such a purchase although the customer service should know what they sell?? If you do go the Ebay route opt for a decent quad band that you will keep rather than a holiday throwaway. Some phones have better cameras than you could buy for the money or perhaps an iPhone. A locked phone could also be unlocked for about €10--15 at most 2nd user phone outlets within 1/2 hour.

5. Re: Cell phone for Ireland and Italy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2012, 06:18