We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does Anyone Have good rental car experience in Ireland?

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
12 posts
212 reviews
Save Topic
Does Anyone Have good rental car experience in Ireland?

My sister and I just returned from our third wonderful trip to Ireland in the past four years. We had our third bad experience renting a car from Hertz. Our troubles have included not getting the model we requested, cars in horrible condition, incorrect credit card charges, poorly communicated policies, and a general lack of customer service. I do not recommend that anyone rent from Hertz.

We are headed back to Ireland next spring and I am looking for another rental car company to use.

Earth
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Does Anyone Have good rental car experience in Ireland?

Budget or Dan Dooley. But Budget charges you if you decline CDW.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
525 posts
345 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Does Anyone Have good rental car experience in Ireland?

I rented from Dan Dooley and was happy with the experience. Got the car I expected in good shape. They also don't nit pick the thing when you bring it back, they expect a few scratches here and there, not the I ended up with any.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
55,624 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Does Anyone Have good rental car experience in Ireland?

"Budget or Dan Dooley. But Budget charges you if you decline CDW."

And Dooley charges € 25 for using the World Mastercard insurance instead of buying from them! You just can't win...

I don't think the car rental (hire) companies are the best ambassadors for people arriving for a stay in Ireland. Having said that, I guess I've rented a car close to 30 times and only 3-4 of those stick out as anything really bad.

Manalapan, New...
Level Contributor
52 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Does Anyone Have good rental car experience in Ireland?

We rented from Dan Dooley for the 1st week of June. We rented a automatic Ford Winstar minivan for 7 days with all the extra insurance it was $1090. We pre-paid a month before in US dollars and they were a pleasure to deal with. We were very happy with the rental.

Connecticut, USA
Level Contributor
514 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Does Anyone Have good rental car experience in Ireland?

I had a perfect experience with Hertz this April. Also rented from Dan Dooley four years ago without any issues. I would have rented from Dooley again except that Hertz offered a better rate for the days I needed the car. My uncle rents every summer from Budget and has been very happy with them. All credit card charges for my recent Hertz rental were correct (the car rental itself, the super CDW, and the Dublin toll road charges).

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Does Anyone Have good rental car experience in Ireland?

I have used NOVA CarHire (www.novacarhire.com) --a rental broker--in several countries and will be using them in Ireland starting next week. They have consistly found me great rates on cars (in France last year it was Alamo that was low bidder; in Ireland next week it is Budget thar was low bidder). Have used them about 10 times - never an issue. Another similar service (that I haven't used so far) is Argus Car Rentals.

West Chicago...
Level Contributor
2,468 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Does Anyone Have good rental car experience in Ireland?

I've had nothing but excellent experiences with Hertz. I've rented with them 5 times so far and have them booked for my 6th in September. (I've booked using Journey through Ireland here in the States.)

Keith

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Does Anyone Have good rental car experience in Ireland?

I rented from Dan Dooley for two weeks in May. There were no surprises on costs. I was charged 85 Euros for a full tank of gas, but I returned it full, so Dooley refunded my 85 Euros. I reserved a Toyota Corolla-class car, and we got a brand-new Renault Fluence. It was a great car for us.

As dyna47 pointed out, Dooley didn't nit-pick the car upon return. I'm sure we had a few swish marks from close encounters with foliage.

I was very pleased overall with our Dan Dooley experience, and I'd recommend them.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
13,154 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Does Anyone Have good rental car experience in Ireland?

We've rented twice from Hertz (once in Dublin, once in Shannon) and had absolutely no problems with either rental. We would rent again with them in Ireland.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Does Anyone Have good rental car experience in Ireland?

I always use Hertz at Kerry airport, never had the slightest problem with them, car is full of petrol when picked up and we leave it full of petrol.

This time we had an early flight and had to put the keys through the letterbos but still no prob.s