We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

traveling with 6 yr. old - 2 appropriate areas to stay

Canandaigua
Level Contributor
194 posts
1 review
Save Topic
traveling with 6 yr. old - 2 appropriate areas to stay

We will be a multigenerational family (70 yrs to 40 yrs to 6 yrs)traveling to Ireland for the first time for 7 full days, arrival and departure days not included. Because our group will include a 6 year old, we would like to choose just 2 locations to stay at from which we could take trips and do interesting, and some just fun, things. Is this enough info for you folks to give us some suggestions of places and activities? Sincere thanks for any help.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,688 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: traveling with 6 yr. old - 2 appropriate areas to stay

Which airport are you flying in and out of?

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
8,263 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: traveling with 6 yr. old - 2 appropriate areas to stay

An idea of the interests of the various people would help too.

Canandaigua
Level Contributor
194 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: traveling with 6 yr. old - 2 appropriate areas to stay

Thanks for trying to help. We have just begun to gather info to make choices from; so we do have not have air reservations yet. We thought we would choose the airport closest to the places we decide to stay. The adults are interested in most things - history, nature, pubs, etc. Our concern was more about a place that would have several activities that might interest a child. We plan to come in summer. Are there any interesting fairs or things of that nature? I thought I saw a magic show mentioned; any thoughts about that? I don't know anything about falconry; would that be appropriate for a child? Does this help?

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
296 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: traveling with 6 yr. old - 2 appropriate areas to stay

When my children were younger they liked nothing better than playing on deserted beaches and visiting castles. Luckily there's plenty of those available in Ireland. My favourite beach - Maghera Strand Co Donegal. My favourite castle - Carrickfergus 7 miles north of Belfast on the shoreline - fantastic specimen of a 12th century Norman castle with easy access.

For organised activities, Ardara in Co Donegal is known as the "home of the festivals" as there are plenty during the whole year - see www.ardara.ie for details. And a lucky coincidence - there are some great pubs in Ardara!

5. Re: traveling with 6 yr. old - 2 appropriate areas to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 17:17