We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

advice for 1st time visitors avoiding tourist traps please!

danvers
Level Contributor
633 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
advice for 1st time visitors avoiding tourist traps please!

We love to explore castles etc. quieter non tourist areas- would also like to swim and beach --- very active bicycle riders b & b etc. experiences -- and we're frugal thanks

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: advice for 1st time visitors avoiding tourist traps please!

Come to the south-east! Wexford, Waterford, Kilkenny and Tipperary will give you all the castles, quiet beaches, scenery and villages you could wish for. And while its difficult to be frugal in Ireland, you will do as well here as anywhere, and a good deal better than some of the West.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,217 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: advice for 1st time visitors avoiding tourist traps please!

As Doneraile has said the South East has many hidden gems. The North West (Sligo, Leitrim, Donegal) likewise.

But is never hard to get off the beaten track, even in the areas more popular with tourists. My house is four miles from the popular town of Dingle, a half mile from the Slea Head Drive, yet I rarely encounter tourists when strolling the roads. My favourite beach, Beal Ban, is 1.5 miles in length, and even in the very height of the season (on a hot sunny day), 20 families would be "a fair crowd"

Ireland, particularly rural Ireland, is not densely populated (compare 190 per square mile in Ireland, to 1,100 per square mile in England), so it is easy to get lost wherever you may be

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,365 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: advice for 1st time visitors avoiding tourist traps please!

I have always found it easy to find quiet areas in Donegal - especially if you avoid July and August. Even in Glenveagh, if you walk down further into the glen, you will see very, very few people - 2 dogwalkers the last time I was there!. Donegal also has beautiful beaches and scenery. Maybe not so many castles but some interesting ruins and Enniskillen in Fermanagh has a castle..

The only thing is, it is not so easy to access without a car...

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
17,712 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: advice for 1st time visitors avoiding tourist traps please!

Most tourist traps are only 2miles from an unexplored spot. But what defines a tourist trap?

wanderingeducators.com/special-interest/misc…

irishfireside.com/2011/…

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,190 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: advice for 1st time visitors avoiding tourist traps please!

From previous TA posts on the theme of Off the Beaten Track:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186591-i88-k28639…

And, following on Ponaire's suggestion, here's a Trip Report from Donegal by Clauds:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186601-i1145-k346…

This Trip Report (can't readily find a date for it) has details on cycling the west coast area:

trentobike.org/Countries/…index.html

danvers
Level Contributor
633 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: advice for 1st time visitors avoiding tourist traps please!

Wow! Thank you so much-- now I have the insiders tips and truly appreciate it! I'll begin my homework with much excitement for exploring my roots! Will begin to define my search with direction thanks again to all! Kathleen

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for County Galway
Level Contributor
1,982 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: advice for 1st time visitors avoiding tourist traps please!

As soonas mentioned the NW is very rewarding - County Sligo has some of the finest megalithic sites in the whole of Europe, several spectacular castles, flora/fauna walking and cycle routes galore and more miles of the most beautiful and desolate coastline than you could wish for. With the delights of Counties Mayo, Leitrim, Roscommon, Donegal and Fermanagh on it's borders who could ask for more :-)

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,055 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: advice for 1st time visitors avoiding tourist traps please!

Hi Ragoora - We've missed you!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
17,712 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: advice for 1st time visitors avoiding tourist traps please!

(As above, hope ur being looked after over there..)

danver...If you have historical roots then I am sure you will find lots of non tourist spots within those areas.

10. Re: advice for 1st time visitors avoiding tourist traps please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 13:18