We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rental car -Wales to Ireland- any problem?

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
39 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
rental car -Wales to Ireland- any problem?

We are planning on renting a car in Wales, spending time there, then taking a ferry across to Ireland, then returning to Wales and dropping the car off. We will have about 3 weeks +. My question is whether there is a problem with taking a rental car from Wales to Ireland (I will check with the company) but does anyone have any experience with this?

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,297 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rental car -Wales to Ireland- any problem?

Check with the company, different companies have different policies and if permitted different charges.

It would make more financial sense to travel as a foot passenger to Ireland and hire a care here.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
39 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rental car -Wales to Ireland- any problem?

So, how would we get from Cardiff to Ireland, cheaply? If we return the car to Cardiff, we would need transport from there to Ireland. Wouldn't it be more of a problem to return the car, fly, then rent another one in Ireland?

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,297 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rental car -Wales to Ireland- any problem?

Hertz have a car hire office in Fishguard. If you hire with them, you can leave the car there and then hire another car in Wexford .

hertz.co.uk/rentacar/…fishguard

www.hertz.ie/rentacar/misc/index.jsp…

Some companies won't let you take a hire car on a boat.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
39 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: rental car -Wales to Ireland- any problem?

I was afraid that might be the case. It makes it awfully complicated, as well as adding drop off charges. I have an email in to Avis, our preferred company, but I'm not even sure I sent it to the right contact. Thanks. I'll track it down, somehow....

I was hoping someone who had done this sort of thing could tell me what they'd encountered.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
453 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: rental car -Wales to Ireland- any problem?

We made enquiries about doing this with Hertz. We could take the vehicle across and they charged a fee depending on how many days were spent in Ireland. It ranged between 50-100 pounds depending on the time. This was a preferable option than leaving the car at Fishguard and hiring another in Wexford as we had a small child and couldn't catch a taxi from Rosslare to Wexford without a carseat. We ultimately didn't use the ferry and instead flew to Ireland. If Avis don't allow it, make enquiries with Hertz.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: rental car -Wales to Ireland- any problem?

I know people do rent in the UK and take the car on the ferry to Ireland, so long as you bring it back the only problem is the extra fees and insurance charged. Check with the hire company.

7. Re: rental car -Wales to Ireland- any problem?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 13:17