We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Converting electronics for use in Ireland

Waterford, New York
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Converting electronics for use in Ireland

Has anyone ever tried plugging in a US power strip into a voltage converter to power up your phones, ipods, ipads etc... Someone in radio shack said this will work? thanks

Westport, Ireland
Level Contributor
259 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Converting electronics for use in Ireland

I have never tried a power strip before...I usually just use a voltage converter only and charge one thing at a time.

Nebraska
Level Contributor
516 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Converting electronics for use in Ireland

If you use the appropriate voltage converter I don't see why it wouldn't work. If you use a plug adapter that could be a problem but I am not sure. Converters and adapters look the same. Unless you get a reputable converter I have heard they are prone to problems. I have never had a problem with an adapter on dual voltage devices charging one device at a time. I have never used a converter.

Cork
Level Contributor
148 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Converting electronics for use in Ireland

Chargers for phones, laptops, ipads etc are usually dual voltage. If this is the case there is no issue using them in Ireland.

Dual Voltage Device will have the following marking:

INPUT 100 - 240V 50-60Hz

Edited: 02 August 2011, 14:34
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,586 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Converting electronics for use in Ireland

You will be able to tell your adapter from your convertor as the convertor will weigh a couple of pounds whereas the adapter is just a little light piece of plastic. As already stated most electrical items such as phones, camera chargers and laptops are all dual voltage.(just checked all mine and they are - iPhone, Sony and Toshiba) I would weight up the cost of buying a converter and just buying a dual voltage hairdryer/iron or what ever it is you need. It'll probably be cheaper to just buy a new item. I got a dual voltage hair straightener in Walmart a number of years ago for $20.00, it's still going strong, likewise my dual voltage hairdryer was only €25.00 in Boots and as it's a fold up one it comes everywhere with me (well on every holiday!)

Remember if you pack your converter in your luggage, it could put you over the airlines limit and then you will have to pay again! And boy are they heavy!

Incidentally, I recently stayed in Portmarnock Hotel and Golf Club and they had a converter in every room, it got me thinking, perhaps this is something that every hotel would have at least one of at reception, maybe contact your hotel and see.

5. Re: Converting electronics for use in Ireland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 08:16