We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cell phone

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
cell phone

Does anyone know if American cell phones work in Ireland? Or another way to call home? Phone cards?

lookout, mountain!
Level Contributor
309 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: cell phone

European mobile phone systems are GSM, while USA uses predominately CDSM, so the two are not compatible. Cingular and T-Mobile in the US use GSM, however, so if you are on their system your phone will work (technically) but you need to see about the int'l plans either might have. If your phone is unlocked, you can get a local SIM to use while you're there (again, if you have a GSM phone.)

You can, I've heard and read, rent phones there or calling cards will work too.

M

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: cell phone

We have cingular service. I can them and find out more info.

thanks

lookout, mountain!
Level Contributor
309 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: cell phone

oh, and one more IMPORTANT thing... different bands are used here vs. there, so your phone ALSO needs to be tri- or quad-band (so it uses both their's and our's.)

M

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,106 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cell phone

Some of the independant mobile outlets sell old outdated but functional used cellphones, ask for the brick box. I use Meteor to phone Eire to Uk / US.

dublin
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: cell phone

Hey!

I usually use my O2 sim card that I can refill to call home (USA), I use the 1Call service (no pin, no card, just an access number) and I think its really cheaper than calling card. You can check it on www.1call.ie. Otherwise, I use skype on the internet which is very cheap too!!!

Brentwood...
Level Contributor
120 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cell phone

Mr Clever,

go to cingular site and go under the International. this site can help you decide if your phone is equipped to work outside US (such as Razor is). If you only plan on using for emergencies, you can sign up for their International calling (about 5.95 month, be sure to set up 2-3 weeks prior to leaving and leave on your bill a month or two after returning) The cost once signed up monthly for Intn'l is .99 per minute instead of 1.29-1.99 and text messages are .50 (i think)

You can also purchase an Ireland SIM card from this site, but beware, I tried for 6 weeks and they were out of stock. You can also purchase SIM cards directly from an ireland site, but the problem is that Cingular must unlock your phone. This can take months or they can charge you extreme fees to do this.

One more thing, I had International rates added before leaving the states and my phone wouldn't work once in Ireland. My daughter arrived from US several days later and we used her phone to contact Cingular (ATT)... it seems they added my international rate but forgot to unlock signal or something like that, so be sure to call before leaving to make sure all is set with your phone, and get a phone number to call them collect or free while in ireland, this is what they gave us luckily.

Rolla, Missouri
Level Contributor
408 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cell phone

mrcleversocks - if you have an up to date Cingular phone, it works great. Sign up for the International roaming plan about a week before you leave. I used my phone all over Ireland for two weeks and had no trouble at all. Called home, and home called me, and made local calls. $.99 per minute air time, so talk fast!

dublin
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: cell phone

Only triband will work in ireland. Actually i dont have a clue. they change the network so fast it crazy. Anyway dont bother using your phone. You can get mad cheap international calls with www.call15.com who are based in ireland. you just need to buy and 02 sim which is practically free.

Ireland
Level Contributor
2,745 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cell phone

Tri-band is correct. It is the network that we use as a rule in Ireland.

You must ensure your cell phone(not your network) is compatible with tri-band. Many US cell's are not.

I would suggest only keeping your phone on to receive calls and SMS and use calling cards to call home.

Freely available in every shop nearly. As we have so many foregin nationals in this country who watch their euros and cents they will only use call cards to call home so there must be value in that process.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,031 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cell phone

Bring your laptop, download SKYPE, and get a combi earphones-microphone headset (I got one for €2.99 or so in Tesco), then you can skype to your heart's content free of charge.