We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How busy are the buses?

Vaasa, Finland
2 posts
Save Topic
How busy are the buses?

Hello all!

We are two people planning a trip in Ireland in two weeks. We have booked accommodations in Limerick, Doolin and Dublin. The plan is to travel by Eireann buses from place to place.

Is it necessary to book also the bus tickets in advance? Are these routes so busy that we might not get a ticket by just turning up at the bus station?

It would also be helpful if someone could tell us how to pronounce the place name Doolin :)

Kind regards,

Jonna

County Meath...
Level Contributor
3,303 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How busy are the buses?

Hi Jonna,

Doolin is simply Do-lin !

I don't think you will have any problem just turning up at station & buying your ticket,but to put your mind at ease you could purchase on-line.Sometimes you can get better offers on-line.

www.buseireann.ie

Mary

County Meath...
Level Contributor
3,303 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How busy are the buses?

Jonna,I forgot to mention some of the more rural locations may have limited bus service so check in advance so you don't miss connecting buses !

Vaasa, Finland
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How busy are the buses?

Hi Mary,

Thank you very much for your quick response!

If the downloadable timetables at the website are up-to-date and we read them correctly, we should be able to get from place to place as planned.

If we buy in advance and then for some reason miss a bus, we cannot get our money back. If we do not buy in advance, there then might be the risk of being denied a ride, if the bus is already full...?

I am just wondering, if there is such a risk as they seem to be selling some tourist passes as well... I do not think you have to book in advance with passes. However, we made some calculations and came to the conclusion that with our plan the tourist pass is actually more expensive than separate tickets.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5,248 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How busy are the buses?

If there are extra passengers Bus Eireann normally put on a second bus for part of the way.

I have seen this happen many times with the Dublin-Galway route and Galway-Doolin route

I have never being stranded due to a "bus being full"!

5. Re: How busy are the buses?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2012, 16:20