We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive or Train it??? Galway to Dubln

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
22 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Drive or Train it??? Galway to Dubln

Considering maybe returning our rental car when we arrive in Galway instead of Dublin. We will be staying in Galway 3 nights and it doesn't look like we willl be doing much driving while we are visiting. From what I see on the computer we can take a train from Galway to Dublin for around 50 euro. Would it be difficult to travel by train with all of our belongings in tow?

Edited: 11 August 2011, 06:11
Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive or Train it??? Galway to Dubln

Not sure what you are plannning on doing in Galway - yes, it's quite possible to get around the town without a car but don't forget all the places you can visit from Galway including Connemara, Aran islands (you may need the car to get to the ferry) etc.

However, if you are happy to jettison your car, Galway to Dublin by train is quite straightforward. There's plenty of space for luggage on the train. How difficult it is will reflect how much luggage you have.

The station in Galway is centrally located on Eyre Square and is easy to access. The station in Dublin (Heuston) is over a mile west of the city centre. If you have lots of luggage, you might need to take a taxi. If you are reasonably mobile luggage-wise, you could take the Luas (tram) to the city centre (assuming you are heading that direction from the station)

Wexford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive or Train it??? Galway to Dubln

Agree with all the above but Car parking in Galway is pretty dear too!

Ireland
Level Contributor
5 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive or Train it??? Galway to Dubln

I'd keep the car, there's a train from Galway that sometimes stops in Athlone and they make you get out and wait for another train to come, when this happened to me I had been on a weekend away in Galway and had luggage, a laptop bag, a hand bag and I had bought a pair of table lamps, I had to schlep all this stuff off the train and stand on the platform in the rain waiting on a different train to come. I was not a happy bunny and went to complain when I noticed on my web ticket it said this may happen with certain trains on that particular route.

Also this is just a foible I have I don't know if it annoys everyone but Galway is a big hen/stag night destination and you can often get stuck in a packed carriage with a bunch of drunk, lads or lassies, its not fun. Plus there are lots of charming villages you can stop in if you get hungry/need to pee when you drive:D

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
413 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive or Train it??? Galway to Dubln

I'd take the car. That way, depending on how much time you have available, you can take some detours off the main road and see some things along the way. For example, I drove down the R402 to go and see Carbury Castle - a little bit hard to find, but the local people were friendly and showed me the way.

I also took a little detour to see Moydrum Castle near Athlone and then I took the N62 and R444 to Clonmacnoise and then the N52 down to Birr to see Birr Castle and then went to Galway via Portumna.

As you can gather, I like to look at castles :)

This took much longer than it would have taken to drive directly to Galway, though.

5. Re: Drive or Train it??? Galway to Dubln

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2012, 20:18