We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with planning ireland itinerary 11 days

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Topic
Help with planning ireland itinerary 11 days

Hello,

Visiting Ireland in late April with my sister. Many questions

Day 1 Arriving in Dublin hoping to be out and about by noon to walk to Trinity (bk of Kells tour), see Dublin Castle (do tour?) Then wandering around Temple Bar a bit.

Day 2 Visit Guiness Storehouse...possibly,Ntl Museum of Ireland(Collins barracks), and Kilmainham jail.

Q [if we only do Guiness tour would there be time this day to pick up car drive to Glendalough and then drive to Cashel to sleep?]

otherwise...

Day 3 pick up car drive to Glendalough visit here 3 hrs or so..drive either to Kilkenny and sleep here, up in am to visit Rock of Cashel.

OR drive to Cashel.

Q [would there be time to do see Glendalough and visit ROC same day or too much?] [Is Kilkenny worth a brief stop in 1st scenario]

Day 4 if haven't toured already---see Rock of Cashel here, then drive to Blarney..my sister wants to kiss the stone..see grounds also and drive on to Bantry sleep here.

**alternate day 4: Leave Cashel early drive to Blarney visit castle/stone. Drive to Kinsale wander wander Kinsale a few hours and sleep here.

Day 5 This day I would like to drive from Bantry through Healy pass into Kenmare and then do Ring of Kerry end in Kenmare sleep here

(I think if we started from Kinsale this morning and tried to drive coast to Bantry do Healy we won't have time to do ROK this day so would shift ROK to day 6, and would cut out day tour of Connemara day 10.

Day 6 Leave from Kenmare drive thru Kilarney national park on way to Connor pass south into Dingle town.

Day 7 Tour of Dingle....sleep here.

Day 8 drive N to and drive Loop Head then drive to Cliffs of Moher.. and either sleep in Doolin or Lisdoonvarna (any preferences as to which town?)

Day 9 Tour Burren and Burren sites either end in Doolin/Lisdoonvarna or Galway

Day 10 Tour Connemara region end up in Galway

Day 11 Drive from Galway to Dublin airport drop car and depart.

Any help with any and all portion(s) would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with planning ireland itinerary 11 days

will comment on the only part I know well enough to give advice on.

Day 6 - from Killarney go to Dingle via Castlemaine and then take the R561 via Inch to Dingle,( Inch beach is 3 miles long - well , it was before the storms), leave the Connor pass for day 8 when you leave Dingle, its less scary going down anyway.

Best thing to see on the Dingle pen? - Slea Head on a good day, hope you get one.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
296 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with planning ireland itinerary 11 days

Hi - if you think this will be your one and only trip to Ireland, then definitely keep in your Connemara tour. Absolutely breathtaking!

Dublin
Level Contributor
168 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with planning ireland itinerary 11 days

Overall, your itinerary looks great, you're hitting nearly all the key sites.

Just to try to answer a couple of questions:

- In Dublin, it's important to be aware that Collins Barracks is only one part of the National Museum so just check that you are actually interested in its exhibits: www.museum.ie/en/intro/arts-and-history.aspx

- I think it would be pushing it to get the Guinness Storehouse, Kilmainham Jail and Glendalough all done in one day; besides, if you're at the Storehouse you might want a couple of pints and that rules out getting in the car and driving...

- Kilkenny is a great town but its main attraction is its nightlife so not sure if a brief stopover is worth it; there's a lovely castle there but between Dublin, Cashel, Blarney etc you'll probably see enough castles!

- I think your 'day 5' might be a bit ambitious, to drive from Kinsale to Bantry to Kenmare and do the ring of Kerry and end up back in Kenmare is going to require about five hours of driving...

Other than that, you've obviously done your research so have a great trip!

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
413 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with planning ireland itinerary 11 days

I'm not sure whether you'd be able to fit it in, but going up to Donegal to Slieve League would be well worth it. It's an amazing place!

When you're at Dingle, go for a bit of a walk on Clogher Head as well. You can get right to the westernmost tip and watch the seabirds flying past. If you're interested in geology, it's also an interesting place to be, with all the different rock formations coming together there. Another place on Dingle I'd say is a "must do" is to go to Minard Castle. It's a very scenic place.

Also, buy a copy of the Ornance Survey Ireland roadmap book of the whole country. It shows many landmarks and tourist attractions and viewpoints. Without it, you'll be driving past many beautiful and interesting places that would have taken you just a few minutes to stop at and admire on your way to the main places you want to see.

Kilkenny, Ireland
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with planning ireland itinerary 11 days

Kilkenny is a city not a town. It has lovely narror streets and is known as the medievel city. Bus fulls of tourist visti it every day during the summer. Well worth a visit.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with planning ireland itinerary 11 days

Thank you so much for the tip! Slea Head is definately on the to do list.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with planning ireland itinerary 11 days

Thank you all so much for your tips and advice! The Ordnance Survey Ireland roadmap book sounds like a great idea to have.

It sounds like we'll be adding Clogher Head and Minard Castle as well to Dingle tour. I thought "Collins Barracks" was an alternate name for the museum, not that this was one area and so really appreciate the info, and will chk out that link! I think, after seeing Glendalough, we will drive to Cashel and skip Kilkenny.

And I agree, driving from Kinsale to Bantry through Healy Pass into Kenmare and then trying to fit ROK in would be way too much. We'd only do ROK that day if we started from Bantry that morning.

So, my remaining questions are:

Can we fit Glendalough and ROC tour in one day?

Would you keep in seeing Kinsale+ coast-drive to Bantry or skip Kinsale altogether in order to have time to see Connemara?

I can't tell you how fantastic it is to have all this advice. I've been wrangling with the details and I really appreciate all the help!

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,055 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with planning ireland itinerary 11 days

Yes, I would skip Kinsale in favor of Connemara.

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,722 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with planning ireland itinerary 11 days

For me Connemara would be a must see - although I really loved Kinsale when I visited this year , I wouldnt choose it over Connemara.

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help with planning ireland itinerary 11 days

If you are only planning one day for Connemara - you could spend 2/3 days to really get into it - then I would suggest that on Day 9, you stay in Galway that night, so that you would be able to make an early start for Connemara on Day 10.

Here's a link to a route through Connemara - about 200 Kms - and while you might be able to drive it in 3 - 4 hours, take the whole day doing it, and enjoy the magnificent beauty of Connemara, especially if it is a clear day

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Galway,+Ireland&daddr=Spiddal,+Ireland+to:Kilkerrin,+Ireland+to:Roundstone,+Ireland+to:Ballyconneely,+Ireland+to:Clifden,+Ireland+to:Galway,+Ireland&hl=en&ll=53.297645,-9.333572&spn=0.197392,0.561676&sll=53.346862,-9.704361&sspn=0.197164,0.561676&geocode=FTTYLAMd4Kx1_yl3j2Rg-JZbSDHWdNC2GQg6mA%3BFUlxLAMdKvpx_ynXgSuMVrpbSDGQIjKXqccACg%3BFdmXLQMdLn5r_ykH2V5zG0paSDEgCTKXqccACg%3BFXHBLgMdYKto_yknBy-9ljlaSDHAljGXqccACg%3BFaFBLwMdzUxm_ynX6m_ATDxaSDFQ1TGXqccACg%3BFeYtMAMdUxpn_ynpYu9KsyRaSDFwljGXqccACg%3BFTTYLAMd4Kx1_yl3j2Rg-JZbSDHWdNC2GQg6mA&vpsrc=6&mra=ls&z=11