We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 nights to see the sights. Help please

Perth
Level Contributor
122 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
7 nights to see the sights. Help please

My wife and I will be flying into Belfast mid June 2012 and want to spend 7 nights in Ireland. We will be hiring a car at Belfast airport and want to spend 1 night in the city. Then we are not really sure what should follow. We would like to see both Northern and Southern Ireland, including Dublin, possibly as our last stop in preparation to fly out to Barcelona. Would appreciate a guide from the experts as to how best spend our time there. Dont mind B&Bs or hotel/motel type accomodation. For a mid June visit, would we need to book accomodation in advance? Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Bonza

Westozman

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,055 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 nights to see the sights. Help please

Hi, I recommend a loop from Belfast to Dublin:

Day 1 - Belfast

Day 2 - Drive round the Antrim coast to Derry

Day 3 - Get early start, drive the northwest coast of Donegal, stay in Donegal Town.

Day 4 - Early start, drive to Galway

Day 5 - Galway

Day 6 - Leave for Dublin

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
11,966 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 nights to see the sights. Help please

We did a similar trip in April 2009, however, we started and ended our trip in Dublin. I do see a problem with your car rental as you will be renting in one country (U.K.) and planning to drop it off in another country (Republic of Ireland). IF this is even possible, the drop-off fees may be prohibitively expensive. Perhaps you will want to do as we did and fly into Dublin, but drive immediately to Belfast, an easy 2-hour drive on a major highway.

Anyway, here's a proposed itinerary based on our trip:

Day 1: Belfast

Day 2: Day trip to the Antrim Coast (Giant's Causeway, etc) O/N Belfast

Day 3: Drive to Kilkenny. Stop along the way at Newgrange O/N Kilkenny

Day 4: Day trip to Cashel and Cahir O/N Kilkenny

Day 5: Drive to Glendalough and then on to Malahide (nice town with easy access to both Dublin and the airport)

Day 6: Take train to Dublin for the day O/N Malahide

Day 7: Another day in Dublin or a day trip to Trim Castle O/N Malahide

Day 8: Fly out

What we enjoyed about this itinerary was that we saw a lot of great sights in both Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland and weren't driving long distances each day. It was hard for me to cut out a lot of things I wanted to see in western Ireland, but it was well worth it.

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,461 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 nights to see the sights. Help please

Seeing as you are hiring a car in Northern Ireland I would suggest that you return it before travelling to Dublin.

Consider driving route therefore:

Day 1 & 2 Antrim coast

Day 3 & 4 Donegal

Day 5 Sligo - Belfast (return hire car)

Day 6 Belfast - Dublin (train)

Day 7 Dublin

Day 8 Fly out from Dublin

Perth
Level Contributor
122 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 nights to see the sights. Help please

Thank you all for your input. I will plot out the different trips and see which one will suit.

As for the need to pre book, does anyone have any advice as to whether we need to do this of just take pot luck with accomadation. Travelling Mid June.

Bonza

westozman

Cork
Level Contributor
351 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 nights to see the sights. Help please

I would take pot luck with your accommodation.....only time to watch out for

are Bank Holiday weekends or festivals, other than that don't think you will

have any problem.

Perth
Level Contributor
122 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 nights to see the sights. Help please

Thanks NatCork, will take your advice. We much prefer to take it easy on a driving trip and not have to be under pressure to be somewhere at certain times.

Bonza

westozman

7. Re: 7 nights to see the sights. Help please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2012, 21:19