We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Doing too much in Western Ireland?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Doing too much in Western Ireland?

My husband and I have been drafting an itinerary for our trip to Ireland and have come to realize there is just so much to see with so little time. We don't want to rush around too much, yet we do want to see what we can while we are there. I have come up with this tentative itinerary, but would appreciate feedback. Flights are booked and we will rent a car.

Day 1: Arrive in Dublin, travel to Galway

Day 2: Galway

Day 3: Connemara then on to Ballyvaughn/Lisoonvarna/Doolin - is visiting Connemara worth the time on this short trip? Is driving to Doolin area too far with a trip through Connemara?

Day 4: Cliffs of Mohr, Kilkee, Tralee to Dingle (ferry at Killimer)

Day 5: Dingle Peninsula, stay in Dingle again

Day 6: Ring of Kerry? Ring of Beara? Will we see much of the same scenery as the Dingle Peninsula, or worth a trip to one of these? Possible to do one of these then on to Kinsale? This day is our anniversary, would like to stay somewhere nice.

Day 7: Kinsale though Cork, Cahir and Cashel (side trip to Kilkenny?) or up to Glendalough?

Day 8: Dublin

Day 9: Dublin

Day 10: Dublin (and surrounds - Malahide? Howth?

Day 11: fly home

Our biggest question right now seems to be whether to do any/some/all of Connemara, RoK and RoB. We don't want to feel rushed trying to do too much, only to find that the scenery, although beautiful, is something we've seen in a different area. I don't want to sacrifice staying in one place and enjoying the atmosphere and local charm only to rush around then wish we had stayed put!

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,055 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Doing too much in Western Ireland?

Hi,

@ Day 3 - I would skip Connemara, and drive down into Co. Clare, visit the Burren - it's a unique type of landscape, then over through the coastal towns.

@ Day 6 - Instead of driving one of the rings, maybe leave Dingle & drive to Killarney - there's some beautiful scenery around there. Then down into west Cork, to Kinsale.

@ Day 7 - end the day in Kilkenny, stay for the night. Perhaps visit Glendalough on your way up to Dublin, on Day 8.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Doing too much in Western Ireland?

Random thoughts.

Connemara is stunning, but to see it you need to re jig the whole schedule.

Out of the three peninsulas I would rate them as 1)Dingle 2) Beara 3)RoK.

You cannot possibly do all four thing in this trip, two is pushing it.

What time of year are you visiting? Not sure if driving to Galway the first day in a rental car is a good idea, usual advice is to stay in Dublin for a day or so at the beginning of the trip to acclimatise!!

The days in Ireland that are the most memorable are the ones where you spend a whole afternoon kicking along a beach, picking up shells, followed by a second night in the same pub you were in last night, when someone asks 'well did you enjoy your day?!'

County Meath...
Level Contributor
3,300 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Doing too much in Western Ireland?

I would stay in Killarney,visit Dingle if you must & for stunning scenery I would do the Beara Peninsula www.bearatourism.com

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,384 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Doing too much in Western Ireland?

You will probably be on an early flight in? so should hit Galway around Lunch? check into your accommodation and rest up. Day 2 Connamara Loop drive (probably a relaxed drive of 4 hours plus stops). Day 3 Galway shops etc then down to your Clare accommodation (Doolin?). This is a reasonable plan north of the Shannon.

Then cross the ferry and lunch in Listowel with a bit of a walk about. Into Dingle over the Connor Pass. Personally I would have 1 night in Dingle drive Slea Head and aim for Kenmare which is a good Base for Beara and the south side of Killarney and Muckross. Kenmare would be my choice over Kinsale.

I would also opt for Kilkenny before returning to Dublin. I wouuld also suggest 2 days in Dublin at the end and utilise the pinched day elsewhere.

Moosup, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,529 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Doing too much in Western Ireland?

Fuchsiagirl's advice is the best. Unless you are seasoned leftside of the road;"Irish signpost" drivers you do not want to be traveling crosscountry after arriving on overnight flight.into Dublin. I'm wondering if the CWD insurance rates are so high because this is something so many do

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,384 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Doing too much in Western Ireland?

The route direct from Dublin Airport to Galway City is major new roads and about 3 hours. Heading straight over is an easier option than getting back to the airport for a hire car after a night in the city.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Doing too much in Western Ireland?

Thank you for the advice. We arrive in Dublin around noon the first day, so we opted to take the train to Galway. I totally agree that driving after a red-eye flight is a bad idea, especially if you're not familiar with driving on the opposite side.

I think I will take the advice of 1 night in Dingle, then 2nd night in either Killarney or Kenmare. Might also skip Connemara (or just tour a small part of it??) and try to do Ring of Beara instead.

Is Kinsale not worth the trip? As I mentioned, it will be our anniversary that day and I would like to stay somewhere nice/memorable. I haven't researched this yet, but are there any castle accommodations between the Kenmare and Cork areas?

We travel at the end of this month, so I'm trying to firm up a schedule and finalize accommodations.

County Meath...
Level Contributor
3,300 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Doing too much in Western Ireland?

Celebrate your anniversary in www.parkkenmare.com or the Sheen Falls Hotel also in Kenmare www.sheenfallslodge.ie

Edited: 07 September 2011, 21:43
9. Re: Doing too much in Western Ireland?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2012, 23:15