We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Making the most of a short trip

Denver, Colorado
2 posts
Save Topic
Making the most of a short trip

will be in Ireland for only 6 days. Want to make the most of my short stay, I have a car and vouchers for B & B's.

Any ideas on must do's and what to avoid?

Thanks in advance for your help & time.

Florida
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Making the most of a short trip

Bree, what interests you most? which cities are you planning to stay in?

Ellen

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Making the most of a short trip

and where are you flying into and out of, and what time of year will it be?

Denver, Colorado
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Making the most of a short trip

In and out of Dublin, frist week in October. I know it's very soon found a great deal we couldn't pass up.

would like to experice a litlle of everything a lil history, walking/hiking/biking tour, ring of kerry?

Thanks for your help :-)

Beautiful Southern...
Level Contributor
96 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Making the most of a short trip

Bree, I think you found the same great deal we did--and we leave next week!. (Will be all set if I receive an ok from Whitethorn Lodge in Killaloe) If you check out the forums each day and follow some back a few weeks, you'll find so much information including great itineraries.

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,869 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Making the most of a short trip

Bree, here's a rough plan to get you started. It would involve a lot of driving and therefore you can pick and choose as you wish. Also, I don't know if the 6 days in Ireland include your arrival date and departure date, or the arrival and departure(3 hours check in required) times.

Day 1 (arrival day): you may be tired after your flight, so I suggest you stay in Dublin, do a HoHo tour, and stay in Dublin on your first night.

Day 2: Drive from Dublin(up bright and early!) to Killarney(4/5hours non stop), but suggest you stop in Cashel, and visit the Rock of Cashel, and after that stop in Cahir, and visit Cahir Castle. then on to Killarney and overnight there.

Day 3: Drive the Ring of Kerry (3/4 hours non stop), but you will want to make stops along the way. Overnight in Killarney again.

Day 4: Killarney to Galway(5/6 hours non stop), via the Tarbert/Killimer car ferry, see the Cliffs of Moher, drive from Doolin along the coast road to Ballyvaughan, and on to Galway city. Once again you will want to make stops to enjoy some of the sights. Overnight in Galway

Day 5: Do a tour of Connemara, including Connemara National Park - where you can do your walking. Overnight in Galway or perhaps stay in Clifden, which would give you a bit more time in Connemara, rather than trying to get back to Galway that night.

Day 6: Return to Dublin (2/3 hours from Galway). If driving from Clifden, add on another 1.5 hours.

There's a rough plan for you, which you can now work with. Bear in mind that in October, darkness will probably be setting in around 7 PM, so you would be as well to be setting out on each day's journey as early as possible.

Edited: 09 September 2011, 01:55
Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,515 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Making the most of a short trip

I think that someone here has shares in an oil company, lol!

cork, ireland
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Making the most of a short trip

traveling from Dublin to Tipperary, to Kerry and to Galway and the Connemara via Clare and back to Dublin in six days by car - Yeah that would be a petrol guzzling trip -

plus one has to factor in traffic delays, sunday drivers, tractors and major roadworks, possibility of getting lost - all the many unforeseen elements that make driving across ireland so enjoyable and unpredictable

Barring delays you would get your moneys worth but I'm personally thinking it may be too much to do in a short space of time especially if one isn't used to driving in Ireland.

cork, ireland
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Making the most of a short trip

traveling from Dublin to Tipperary, to Kerry and to Galway and the Connemara via Clare and back to Dublin in six days by car - Yeah that would be a petrol guzzling trip -

plus one has to factor in traffic delays, sunday drivers, tractors and major roadworks, possibility of getting lost - all the many unforeseen elements that make driving across ireland so enjoyable and unpredictable

Barring delays you would get your moneys worth but I'm personally thinking it may be too much to do in a short space of time especially if one isn't used to driving in Ireland.

Edited: 09 September 2011, 16:47
9. Re: Making the most of a short trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2012, 22:17