We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guide book

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
862 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Guide book

TripAdvisor was invaluable when I planned my trip to Utah in 2008. Now I am planning a trip to Ireland. While I plan on using TA extensively while planning my trip to Ireland I also want an updated guide book that I can read, look at maps in, etc. I have a Lonely Planet 2008 guide which after looking at the 2011 hasn't changed much.

So which one to choose. Frommer's, Fodor's, DK Eyewitness, or ...?

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
17,731 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guide book

This is the top Question on the top questions

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186591-i88-k30699…

To be honest guide books are fine for roughing things out but not something to take too seriously. You will get far better more detailed knowledge from many people on here.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
862 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Guide book

Thanks tony2phones.

I do plan on using the information from the people here as my main source but I want a guide book as a supplement.

I read the information in the top questions listed here before I asked the question but the most recent post is in 2009 so I was hoping for opinions on something more recent.

I'll keep looking.

West Chicago...
Level Contributor
2,468 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Guide book

My favorite guide for getting ideas and choosing areas/places I want to visit is the DK Eyewitness Guide. I love the pictures which help me visualize the options before me. This is of course before the detail stage.

There are several suggested scenic drives, one of which I just took yesterday (Yeats country near Sligo).

If you're doing Dublin, DK's Top 10 Dublin was helpful in the same way. I also found a lot of helpful info in Frommer's Dublin Day by Day.

As far as a guide giving helpful info with details, for me it's a toss up between Frommer's and Lonely Planet. The Internet coupled with TA forums were my top 2 helpful resources when it came to planning the details. Guide books were in 3rd.

Just one man's opinion.

Keith

Edited: 08 September 2011, 00:58
Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
768 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Guide book

I know it's frustrating to ask a question and not get a definitive answer. However, believe me, there is no best book---only the one that works best for you.

When I started planning for our May 2011 3week trip, I got two Rick Steves books: Europe Through the Backdoor and Ireland 2010. I found the first half of ETTB very helpful as far as general info regarding packing, type of suitcases etc etc. In Ireland 2010 there is a good section--Ireland's Best Three-Week Trip by Car. The suggested 3 week trip was the basis of our trip with many modifications based on my personal preferences. That being said---R.S. is NOT very popular here and I'm NOT recommending his books to purchase.

Spend some time at your local Barnes & Noble and Borders (if there are any still open). Look at every book available and decide what YOU like! My wife liked Lonely Planet (lot's of nice pictures). I read a lot of different ones.

I like DK Back Roads Ireland for suggested drives. Also like one of the Frommers (sorry my daughter has it now and I don't recall which one it is).

When our Borders was selling out recently I picked up a number of guides at substantially reduced prices. Good luck---have fun!!!

Edited: 08 September 2011, 02:23
Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
862 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Guide book

Thanks so much for your kind suggestions KthSch and Kilted2.

I have a Lonely Planet Ireland 2008 which I do like and also a Rick Steves Ireland 2008 (that's how long I've been wishing for this trip). I was just looking for something a bit newer.

@Kilted2 - after making this post I did go spend sometime at B&N. After looking at several I decided to download the Fodor's 2011 onto my Nook. Since i almost always have that with me I can whip it out and read without having to carry around a book all the time. I will still use the Lonely Planet and the Rick Steves guides since not much in those has changed with the exception of the prices.

I love, love, Love TA! As I said before I used it for my trip to Utah and the Grand Canyon several years ago and was able to put together a fabulous trip. I back up everything I read here by checking it out on the internet and the guide books and vice versa.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
17,731 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Guide book

I contribute on a number of other forums and find the best totally impartial advice and friendlier approach from Michele Erving. This is just a personal observation and gut feeling. I don't read guide books any more for a number of reasons.

http://www.irelanddreamtrip.com/

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
768 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Guide book

Tony2: Wasn't familiar with this one. Website looks good and the testimonials are glowing. Looks like another one to add to my "collection". First trip to Ireland May of this year. Next trip May of 2012. We started planning 2012 as soon as we got home (or was it before we left Ireland). :) I can always use another source for ideas. Thanks.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
862 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Guide book

I am using a guide book mainly to see what all I want to see.

I use TA for itenerary planning, specific recommendations on restaurants and accommodations, and to make sure what I am thinking of doing is really doable in the amount of time I have.

I use the internet to read more about the places I think I want to go, to double check costs, a closer look at maps, etc.

So I am not relying on just one source.

Thank you all for your kind help.

Karen

West Chicago...
Level Contributor
2,468 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Guide book

Sounds like the perfect way to do it! (Translation: That's how I do it so it MUST be perfect.)

;)

Keith

Edited: 08 September 2011, 19:47
Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
862 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Guide book

@ KthSch - too bad they don't have a 'Like' button here:)