We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Who has stayed at Ashford Castle?

Beautiful Southern...
Level Contributor
94 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Who has stayed at Ashford Castle?

We're to stay there one night as part of our package. We're not really fancy people., but bringing one nicer outfit. Is there a dress code? (Will we feel out of place entering from our day's travels in our jeans? What activities have some participated in? I can't seem to find a list with fees. Where did you eat--at one of the castle's several choices? In Cong? Things to do/see in Cong? Thanks.

Beautiful Southern...
Level Contributor
94 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Who has stayed at Ashford Castle?

Surely someone has!!

usa
Level Contributor
154 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Who has stayed at Ashford Castle?

Hello!

We had a wonderful one night stay in April '09. We were travelling with our kids who were at the time 7,13,15 and 17 ... so we would be considered casual travelers, as well!

Walking around the grounds and through the castle during the day, nice jeans seemed to be the norm. The story changes at night, and breakfast was certainly on the more formal side (the father and son of the small family at the table next to us were wearing blue blazers, while the mom had a skirt on) This seemed a little much bet I did feel underdressed in my nice navy athletic warm up :-)

As you know there are tons of activities on site ... we played golf and tennis, the falconry looked fun! We really enjoyed walking through the small village of cong and had delicious casual meals at the hotel on the main street in Cong (sorry, can't think of the name right now ... but as you walk from the hotel, it is on the right hand side of the street)

All around great experience!

Enjoy

2and2

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
18,967 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Who has stayed at Ashford Castle?

You will find the norm for Ireland is smart casual and have no doubt the Blazers were visitors rather than natives. I am sure you will have plenty to do and I believe the Hawk walk is well worthwhile. Cong is famous for the "Quiet Man" and being the 60th anniversary there may be some extra features but at the end of the day it is a small Irish village.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
23 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Who has stayed at Ashford Castle?

My wife and I are staying there one night this April. I'm really interested in the Hawk walk, but not at 90 (EUR) per person. I see the price goes down as the size of the group goes up....maybe we can find another couple there that wants to do it.

I always wondered what the "norm" was to wear out and about in Ireland. It sounds like jeans would do, but maybe I'll bring a jacket along as well.

Any other fashion advice would do me some good.

Thanks

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
149 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Who has stayed at Ashford Castle?

Price of activities is listed on their website

http://www.ashford.ie

The only mention of a dress code I've noticed is if you're eating at the formal dining room for dinner- George V Dining Room- then men are to have coat and tie (which is why we won't be eating there for our stay!)

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,967 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Who has stayed at Ashford Castle?

The Hawk walk at Aillwee Caves on the Burren is €70

aillweecave.ie/tickets/…aillwee-cave.html

Ireland doesn't have a dress code. Be comfortable and smart casual. unless you are going to dine black tie at Ashford or similar.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
23 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Who has stayed at Ashford Castle?

My fault....I was looking at the 90 minute Hawk walk. you're right, it is only 70 euros for the hour-long session. I think we'll go ahead and do it. Based upon the the reviews, it looks like a can't miss experience.

Smart casual, got it. I'll leave the lame T-shirts at home.

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,671 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Who has stayed at Ashford Castle?

You might be interested in this report by The Chicago Sun Times on a recent visit to Ashford Castle:

suntimes.com/lifestyles/travel/10277302-502/…

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,967 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Who has stayed at Ashford Castle?

Didn't know I had so much in common with HR Charley ....

Edited: 18 February 2012, 21:30
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
23 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Who has stayed at Ashford Castle?

Is the town of Cong walkable from the Ashford Castle? Also, are there any good pubs in and around the castle?