We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry from Doolin to Inis Mor

Saint Cloud, Florida
Level Contributor
871 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry from Doolin to Inis Mor

My map show a seasonal ferry from Doolin to Inis Mor. My question is what is the season? Would it be running say in late September - early October?

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,351 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry from Doolin to Inis Mor

The ferries run May to September mainly but do run until November dependant on the tides and weather.

www.obrienline.com/index.php?page=times

Saint Cloud, Florida
Level Contributor
871 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry from Doolin to Inis Mor

Thanks Tony.

At that time of year do you think it would be better to go up to Galway area to take the ferry?

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,351 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry from Doolin to Inis Mor

It would really depend on the weather but the ferries run all year from Rossaveal west of Galway.

Florida
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry from Doolin to Inis Mor

I have done both. The Doolin ferry is small and won't go if the seas are rough. The one from Rossaveal is a fast ferry and we took the Faherty tour and Micheal told us to sit on the bottom level and in the back. I have sea legs but for those that don't that was a great tip as those waves can be rough. I am a florida girl as you are so we are more use to the water. It was a quick 45 min trip and loved the tour of the island. You can rent bikes but the island is 15 miles long and you could not cover that much ground on a bike and see all that you'd want to see. We were so surprised when we found out Michael had a driver waiting for us! I didn't know that was included. Others had to find a way around.

Saint Cloud, Florida
Level Contributor
871 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry from Doolin to Inis Mor

The Faherty tours sounds like the way to go. Thanks for that tip. I do have pretty good sea legs as I am not only a FL girl but also come from a long line of seamen and watermen on both sides of my father's family.

Thanks again, Karen

Edited: 30 September 2011, 18:00
Florida
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry from Doolin to Inis Mor

Karen I also have good "sea legs" however, I took a Bonine before boarding the super ferry :) It has seats like an airplane, and two decks, and a snack bar. I spent a lot of time out back watching the water for creatures, and totally enjoyed the ride

Ellen

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,975 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferry from Doolin to Inis Mor

I'll agree with Flpab that you can't see the entire island in a day on a bike, but we forfeited some of the sights for the experience of the bike ride. We enjoyed being out and about on our own and taking in the sights at our own pace. We were able to get off the main road whenever something caught our eye and we had the experience of riding behind a herd of cows being moved to another pasture--which was actually more amusing that it may sound.

Even though we did not get to see all the sights on the island, we did ride from the ferry at Kilronan to the Seven Churches at the far end of the island and back to Kilronan, stopping at several places in between, including of course, Dun Aengus. This trip took us about 6 hours--10:30 am to 4:30 pm.

8. Re: Ferry from Doolin to Inis Mor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 04:17