We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental quote

13 posts
Save Topic
car rental quote

Can someone help me with advice on getting an accurate car rental quote? I've tried Carhire3000, Budget, and Kayak sites. None of these are very clear as to the Super CDW cost.

I'll be in Ireland mid-October, driving for 7 days. Does $250 (~180 Euro) total for a compact car including all insurances, S-CDW, and taxes sound about right? That's about what I'm getting on the above sites but I can't tell if I have all the right fees included.

Also, how does Carhire3000 work? They don't arrange the car but give you a voucher?

As far as insurance, I will need Super CDW AND theft? Also what about personal accident insurance? Maybe my own insurance will cover that.

Thanks!

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,241 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car rental quote

I can only speak about Budget who we have used before and will be picking up a car again from in Dublin on Sunday evening. You need to read the terms and conditions very carefully to ensure you are including ALL of the fees that you will incur. On www.budget.ie, there is a link to the terms and conditions on the page where you get the rates (after you put in your dates and pick-up/drop off locations, on the left side of the screen just below those dates).

For example, we are renting for 2 weeks (a full size automatic as we have 4 people) picking up at DUB but dropping off Galway city center 738.25 Euros; in the T&C we see that for our class of car SCDW is 16.50 euro per day plus VAT; an extra driver is 9.5 euro per day plus VAT; there is a 28 euro plus VAT fee for picking up at Dublin airport . Our total price in Euros is 1208.90 including VAT. You do need to do the calculations yourself for Budget, but all of the information is availble if you look at the T&C.

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,055 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car rental quote

The Budget Ireland website does give the Super CDW rates, but it's hard to find. You have to enter reservation info first, then click on "Terms & Conditions" - it is called "Excess Waiver":

https://www.budget.ie/reservationpage.php

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,055 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car rental quote

Hi, I see that Budget Ireland's homepage also has "Terms & Conditions', at the bottom of page - click on that, & then click on "Republic of Ireland".

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,241 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car rental quote

Trin, I looked for that but didn't see it in my original scan when I was posting! :-)

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,055 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car rental quote

They do make it hard to find!

Ottawa, Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: car rental quote

I recently booked a car with Dan Dooley, from what I can tell by reading the terms & conditions the quote is all inclusive. I'll find out for sure in a couple of weeks.

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,055 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: car rental quote

From Dan Dooley's main page, it looks like SCDW is included in your quote. If you click on the "?", the rates are described (14-18 euro per day, depending on car size).

13 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: car rental quote

Thanks. I got a similar price on Dooleys (304 euro) for a week, which appears to include SCDW, and seems about average. I also got a quote for 115 euro from Carhire3000, which also appears to include SCDW, but that must be missing something. It seems really low.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
11,985 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: car rental quote

ctgals, i bet 115 doesn't include super cdw....i learned the hard way when someone quotes you a much lower price there is certainly something missing....

Medina, Ohio
Level Contributor
464 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: car rental quote

I got a quote from hertz for around 12-15 days its 400 euro with scdw. Their quote includes everything but scdw but they show it right there as an option for 86 per week. I did a quote from dooley but it was way more expensive. Last time I looked their quote didn't include scdw but I may be wrong. From dooley it was about 400-450 without scdw