We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ireland in February - are we crazy?

Madison, NJ
Level Contributor
64 posts
Ireland in February - are we crazy?

We are two teachers in our mid-50's and the February break is the only time the trip is within our budget (darn those kids in college...). We will go anyway, BUT-

Will it be dark, dank, wet and cold?

We will have a car and visit the places everyone suggests.

Shannon or Dublin airport?

Thank you for your help.

Kathleen

Best Seller
Cliffs of Moher Tour Including Wild...
1,257 Reviews
from US$52.90*
Best Seller
Northern Ireland Highlights Day Trip...
1,050 Reviews
from US$76.50*
Best Seller
Aran Islands and Cliffs of Moher Day...
471 Reviews
from US$47.10*
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,813 posts
43 reviews
1. Re: Ireland in February - are we crazy?

In Dublin the rainfall is more or less the same in every month, in the West it is wetter in February than later in the Spring, but less wet than in November-January.

it won't be as cold as New Jersey.

It is on the dark side, but already days will be brighter than at Christmas. It does cut short scenic sightseeing though, not so much of an issue in the city.

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
9,280 posts
2. Re: Ireland in February - are we crazy?

Have a look at these questions for guidance:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186591-i88-k17635…

All things weather here:

met.ie/climate-ireland/climate-of-ireland.asp

including short monthly summaries for past few years:

http://www.met.ie/climate/monthly-summary.asp

This will give you a general idea of daylight hours in the west of Ireland:

http://www.galway.net/about/daylight.html

Have a look at KthSch's Trip Reports from January/February 2010:

http://tinyurl.com/3gc4q7n

If you do a search for 'Trip Report February', I'm sure you'll find others, also.

Aurora, Illinois
Destination Expert
for New Mexico, Santa Fe, Albuquerque
Level Contributor
2,669 posts
159 reviews
3. Re: Ireland in February - are we crazy?

My first trip to Ireland was in January/February of 2009 (great airfare!). I so loved it that I've been back 5 more times since!

Just embrace the weather and season. Perhaps focus a bit more on Dublin and/or other city destinations. But it's all good!

Keith

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
20,162 posts
73 reviews
4. Re: Ireland in February - are we crazy?

You could fly open Jaw Shannon - Dublin and work a arc between. Shannon is a kinder introduction to Irish driving or an easier departure airport. I was stuck in Killarney Feb 2007 and had a great time with the locals. Ireland play Italy on the 11th in the Rugby 6 nations if you are in Dublin and have an interest.

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
7,087 posts
78 reviews
5. Re: Ireland in February - are we crazy?

My first visit was in January 2010, and although the weather was very mixed, flooding of roads, torrential rain, and snow, etc, we still had a lovely time. The only problem in non-peak times is that some tourist attractions are shut. It fueled my appetite for Ireland so that I'm going in 2 weeks time ;)

Wellfleet...
Level Contributor
149 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: Ireland in February - are we crazy?

We've been to Ireland four times, and only in the "off" seasons, as we live and work in a tourist destination ourselves. Yes, there may be many places that are closed, and yes, the days are short (by Irish standards) but we've never lacked for things to do or see. And just like on Cape Cod, the off season offers more time to get into good conversations with the people you meet.

In February, the southwest area of Ireland was starting to bloom - at least a minth or 2 ahead of what we're used to. That in itself was a treat!

My suggestion - don't hesitate - embrace the weather, as Keith says!

Bring along a few extra pairs of warm socks - or buy them there...

Regarding the airport, you may find it's cheaper & more convenient to do DUB, even if it's the west you're headed to.

Hope you have a great trip!

Madison, NJ
Level Contributor
64 posts
7. Re: Ireland in February - are we crazy?

Thanks, everyone! We have been to Europe twice in February and loved the peace and quiet, as well as walking right into the attractions with no lines.

So we are going to Ireland in February. Open jaw jacked the fare up, so we will make a loop. Fares to Ireland are a fraction of the other European cities.

Now to start an itinerary - I did answer the 13 questions; sounds as though I need to get a book and to keep reading here.

Wellfleetian, I have spent my whole life visiting my relatives in Wellfleet at all times of year.

Thanks for the help, everyone!

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
9,280 posts
8. Re: Ireland in February - are we crazy?

Kathleen,

I was thinking in particular of the question in relation to your interests. That would help with suggestions to point you in the direction of certain places, around which you could build a rough draft of an itinerary.

9. Re: Ireland in February - are we crazy?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 04:18