We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Dublin to Adare and making it count

Appleton, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
35 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Driving Dublin to Adare and making it count

We have a morning arrival in Dublin and have accommodations in Adare. We would like to make the most of our to and from trips. Thinking of driving from Dublin to Adare via Kilkenny and a stop at the Rock of Cashel that first day. Are we crazy? We don't just want to drive straight to Adare and twiddle our thumbs while we wait to check in. Also thinking of heading back to Dublin via Blarney and Waterford.

I would love hear any recommendations for stops between Dublin and Adare.

(It might be good to let you know that while I'm the history buff in the group, I'm traveling with a group that is not oposed to some history... as long as it's sprinkled in with pint stops)

Thanks!

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,055 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving Dublin to Adare and making it count

Bit too much sightseeing & driving, on arrival day. Maybe visit Cashel alone, en route. You can also visit Cashel as a daytrip from Adare.

Send an e-mail to your lodging, inquire about early check-in.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,391 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving Dublin to Adare and making it count

It depends where you are arriving from. If you are arriving in Ireland for the first time on a red-eye flight and have only had 2 hours sleep then just getting to Adare will be trying enough. If you are arriving from elsewhere in Europe then a number of diversions are possible.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,673 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving Dublin to Adare and making it count

I take it this is one of the flight / car hire / Adare packages that are sold without telling the purchasers that it is 140+ miles straight drive of the plane?

Cashel can be done as a day trip and Kilkenny on the return. I would take the direct route across sticking mainly to the major routes with The National stud/Japanese gardens by Kildare, The Heritage towns of Roscrea and Nenagh then Limerick on the M7 route.

Kilkenny and Cashel are not traffic friendly when you are tired.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,276 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving Dublin to Adare and making it count

You are going to be jet lagged when you arrive. You will be driving on the "other" side of the road. The driving will most likely not what you expect.

Tony has (as usual) made some excellent suggestions. I would also suggest you consider Newbridge Silverware www.newbridgesilverware.com/…

For a reference point, there is a Maldron Hotel just off Junction 17 at Portlaoise on the motorway between Dublin and Limerick/Adare that is ideal for a coffee/bathroom break (we now call it Port- Loo-se!!)

Enjoy your holiday.

Appleton, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
35 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving Dublin to Adare and making it count

Thanks so much for the suggestions!

Appleton, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
35 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving Dublin to Adare and making it count

You all are right. We are coming in from Chicago - the driving in Ireland will be new for us. And everything we see that first day will probably be through a jet lagged haze. I love the suggestions about places to stop right off the main route.

@ Tony, we did know that Adare was on the west side of Ireland when we booked and are not too daunted by the distance. Maybe a Cashel, Cahir and possibly Blarney day trip can be worked in right from Adare.

On our way back to Dublin we'll be doing that 2 days before our departure and could conceivably do a couple stops and an overnight somewhere closer to. but nit in Dublin. Any suggested stops and itineraries for a Adare Dublin drive via Kilkenny?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

K

7. Re: Driving Dublin to Adare and making it count

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 01:21