We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Silly Pub Question

Saint Cloud, Florida
Level Contributor
871 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Silly Pub Question

I've read on TA that in most pubs one snags a table and then goes up to the bar to order drinks or a meal. I will be on my own. How would I accomplish this without losing my table? Especially in a busy pub. What if I need another drink?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
54,115 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Silly Pub Question

If the pub is that busy you can expect others to come up and take the other seats at your table; just ask them to hold your seat when you get up for whatever reason.

Or a sweater or jacket left on the chair. (Just be careful you don't leave anything you really value out of sight at your table while you go off.

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,055 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Silly Pub Question

Many pubs have table service, especially if they serve food.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,335 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Silly Pub Question

Once you have an itinerary there are many on here who will point you to good pub grub. I have never found a pub so busy that I couldn't find a seat. There are 2 approaches, go to the bar and ask for the menu, you will be told to take a seat and some one will come to you or if busy someone will find you a seat if you wait a bit. The other is to find a seat put something there and go to the bar as before. if there are 2 people sat at a table for 4 in a busy eatery then ask if its ok for you to join them. It is nothing to worry about really

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,236 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Silly Pub Question

Or you could walk in order drink at bar and take your seat after you get your drink the only time you will have this problum in 99% of pubs is Friday or Saturday night.

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Silly Pub Question

Hi kajo, as the others have said, it is unlikely that many of the the pubs will be so busy that you won't be able to find a seat.

If you are going for lunch, try and avoid the rush hour. I would usually try and go before 12.30 or after 2.00.

All the advice you have already been given is good and people are usually pretty good at keeping an eye on your stuff if you do need to go to the bar or bathroom.

Just make sure you keep your handbag and valuables with you at all times.

Irish pubs tend to be pretty relaxed on the whole, so you will be fine.

Saint Cloud, Florida
Level Contributor
871 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Silly Pub Question

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you all today. Long day at work.

Thank you all for all the kind help.

It is pretty much what I do here in the states, well except for asking to share a table or have other people ask me. I had forgotten about that custom in Europe.

Kind of nice in a way since it will give me a chance to meet other people and have someone to talk to. One of the biggest reasons to travel IMO is meeting people.

@bannergirl- if the B&Bs feed me as much for breakfast as everyone says I don't think I will be ready for lunch until at least 2:-)

@Tony- here I often put my jacket (A/C makes one necessary even in the summer sometimes) or a book down to hold a table at restaurants where one orders at the counter and then a picks up at another or has a server bring the food to the table. So that should work there as well.

thanks again everyone.

Karen

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Silly Pub Question

Hi Karen,

Thank you for asking those questions. I am returning to Ireland in March, and this time I will be traveling alone and was wondering the same things about ordering meals/drinks etc.

Also have to teach myself how to pack 'lightly' as this time I will be doing all the carrying! Hope you enjoy your trip!

Cheers!

Eire
Level Contributor
654 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Silly Pub Question

I dont think I have ever had that probelm in a bar/pub.

If someone takes your seat for whatever reason it's most likely an accident. Just ask them to move if there are no other seats.

Saint Cloud, Florida
Level Contributor
871 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Silly Pub Question

@Tezz55- I need to teach myself to pack lightly as well. I always over pack:-/

10. Re: Silly Pub Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 November 2012, 05:18