We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to live in Ireland?

Mechelen, Belgium
2 posts
Save Topic
Where to live in Ireland?

Hi Guys,

We might move to Ireland in 2-3 years. I was born and raised in Belgium, but my dad is from Dublin, Ireland.. When I visit the family in Ireland it feels like coming home.

I know the big cities in Ireland, but I'm not sure I want to live there.. probably close to them for work, school & hospital etc.

I'd love to have some advice on some good (real Irish) towns. Good quality of life, schools, pubs.. and close to a beach r the sea

My family is from Dublin, so they can't really help me out on this.

Thanks in advance!

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,305 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to live in Ireland?

Why can't they help you? Have they never been outside of Dublin?

A lot will depend on where you can find work. There are some really beautiful places to live, but finding work nearby may not be easy

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
18,967 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to live in Ireland?

First thing near to what you want..Work? School's? Roads to main places? How far to the Airport? Then consider City/Town/village. Urban or Rural to be honest the same things you would think about if you were just moving anywhere.

Mechelen, Belgium
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to live in Ireland?

I probably want to stay near Dublin or Cork because of work and a good connection to the airport. I love towns like Bray, Skerries, Bantry, Dingle.. but I haven't seen it all. So maybe you can recommend me some places I wouldn't think of. I like Galway, but in my experience, too many tourists.

I love culture, film, art.. so there should be some sort of 'scene'. I'm active in graphic design / IT. I just want some hints & tips from local people and based on that I'll explore Ireland in the next 2 years and travel around.

Cork
Level Contributor
351 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to live in Ireland?

Research Kilkenny....less than two hours from Dublin....

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
18,967 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to live in Ireland?

In defence of Galway it is a state of the art I.T. & University City and yes there are tourists but you don't have to enter the square mile or so where they tend to be. Most locals will tell you they rarely mix with tourists. Limerick is another option with lower priced housing (generally) than Galway but as you say a couple of years exploring the options is wise. Don't just move because you like having holidays here or you will be sorely disappointed when reality sets in..

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,671 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to live in Ireland?

The following may be of interest to you:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/

http://www.movetoireland.com/

www.education.ie/home/home.jsp…

citizensinformation.ie/en/…

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
296 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to live in Ireland?

Belfast is a great place to live. There's loads going on but it is a very compact city. Great transport links (2 airports, seaport), 4 big hospitals, 2 universities. Pay us a visit and see what you think!

County Meath...
Level Contributor
3,300 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to live in Ireland?

Have a look at Dunmore East,Co.Waterford,its less than 10 miles from the City.

www.waterford-dunmore.com