We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip report, the big adventure, very long....

Cape Cod, MA
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Topic
trip report, the big adventure, very long....

Just returned from Ireland, I had found these trip reports very helpful. My sister and I and our 3 adult daughters flew Aer Lingus boston to Dublin. no problems with aer lingus. I haven't had airline food in 20 years ad it was surprisingly good , both going and coming. would use aer lingus again.

We arrived in dublin at 4:40 am...unable to locate a phone store and when asked security about it, they told us it was back behind security, so we skipped it.

We were staying at O'neils on Pearce street. They already told us we couldn't get in until 9am, so what to do at 5 am in the dark with suitcases??? cab driver suggested brkfast at The Trinity Capital Hotel which was just a few steps away from O'neills.. What a fun and funky hotel... breakfast didn't start until 730 but they graciously let us wait in their lobby and even stored our luggage for us. At exactly 9 am O'neills opened up.

We immediatly dropped the bags and headed out. it was less than a 5 minute walk to entrance to Trinity college. I loved trinity college I expected Mr Chips or Harry Potter to appear. The Book of Kells was somewhat of a disappointment...not as big or as colorful as i expected, but still impressive. However, The long hall was worth the price of admission...wow..

We then picked up the hoho bus directly outside trinity, both the green and red bus were there. We stopped at Dublin Castle, but didn't go in. On to St Patrick's Cathederal...great stop, then on to Guiness, which is more of an avertising ploy that museum. It was great fun though and the skyview bar is spectacular. Guiness does in fact taste much better there!

From there we went to the kilhamain Goal. This should be a required stop. facinating and so informative. it was now late, we had not slept and we headed back to O'neills for dinner and bed.

Day 2 We picked up minivan automatic from Europcar, which is just a few steps from O'neills. No problems with car or Europcar. Took the super Cdw.

My daughter drove, with the other daughter being the navigator. They did great and we Headed out to Blarney. W e used a combo of maps, Gps and printed directions . Never got lost...it went well.

My daughter did great driving, just got in that car and drove thru the city, never having driven on the left before.

I know folks say Blarney castle is a tourist trap, But we really liked it and the little town. I should say, that climb to the top is not for the faint of heart.

From there we headed to Killorglin, which is outside killarney. We were there because of our family being there. We checked into the Biaconi, which is a guest house and restaurent. I can't say enough good thngs about the place.. rooms recently refurbished and are beautiful. The food is actually delicious and the folks there are very warm and welcoming.

We did alot aof family stuff here, but did take a tour of ring of Kerry with Deros tours...excellent. We toured Ross Castle, again, not for the faint of heart or non agile. We also saw Muckross house, which we really liked. My daughters went horse back riding and My sister, neice and I , did the Gap of Dunloe. Beware.. The pony trap drivers said we couldn t take the car. we parked and started the hike on foot. met another couple going down and they then passed going up in a car. Said the trp drivers shouldnt have told us we couldn t take the car. I guess I needed the exercise!!

From there , We went to Galway. We stayed at the Jury's Inn On Quay street. Couldn't beat the location... Jury's Inn was a typical hotel. We (sister and I) daughters opted out, a Galway Tour company tour of Connamarra. This tour had unbelievable scenery...but so much of it it , it started to all blend in. The highlight to us was the Kylemore Abby...Loved it.

We left Galway and headed to Malahide, visited the Castle, which we all liked. We stayed At Castle Inn. This was our last nite in Ireland... Malahide is a little, kinda contemporary upscale seaside town. We found Gibney Pub...had great fun there and ate at Giovanni's. which was excellent.

It rained or drizzled every day we were there.

Things I learned.

Ireland and it's people are wonderful.

there is lots of scenery

Don't let the hedge on the side of the road fool you, there is a stone wall inside it!

No matter wht you do, your hair is a mess.

there are plenty of ATM's everywhere.

No problem using Credit cards or Debit cards.

Never bought a phone, bought a calling card, there were plenty of pay phones everywhere. This was much cheaper also.

wear comfortable shoes, alot of walking.

pack very light...elevators are rare, and you need to carry that suicase up the stairs!

Dress is universally casual, everywhere we went.

Layers is the key and a good raincoat. Hope this helps...It was a wonderful trip

Cape Cod, MA
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: trip report, the big adventure, very long....

PS. I forgot to add..Enroute to Galway, we stopped at the cliffs of Moher. About 1/2 mile before the cliffs we started to note some fog. When we got to the cliffs..It was completely enveloped in Fog. I live on the ocean and I have never in my life seen such thick, dense fog. The visability was about 5 feet or less and the wind was viscious. We deceided to have lunch and see what happens...It seemed to get worse...so, we missed it. this was something we were all disapponted in.

We also missed something on the Ring of Kerry billed as "The best view in Ireland" due to fog.

Saint Cloud, Florida
Level Contributor
871 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trip report, the big adventure, very long....

Thank you for the trip report and the tips. I am planning a trip to Ireland for this time next year and am reading everything I can find. Sorry you didn't get to see the Cliffs.

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trip report, the big adventure, very long....

Glad you enjoyed your trip Kate, and kudos to your daughter for the driving!

I'm a bit entertained by your comment on the Book of Kells - it is not that easy to see I grant you, because the light has to be kept low. But as to colour, it is 1200 years old - the monks copied and illustrated it with pigments that have lasted 12 centuries! It was also written on vellum, which would never have been as white as modern paper, and has darkened over the centuries. You really have to look at the wall displays to appreciate the detail of the book.

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: trip report, the big adventure, very long....

I really enjoyed your trip report - and your comments re the hedges and hair (!

)were spot on and made me smile. So glad you enjoyed Ireland, and hopefully your very positive experience with the car will reassure all those who are (understandably) anxious about car hire and driving.

Thanks for posting.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,571 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: trip report, the big adventure, very long....

Glad you liked Blarney - I DO TOO!!

Also the Bianconi Inn in Killorglin - THE FOOD OH THE FOOD ;-))

Cambridge, Canada
Level Contributor
208 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: trip report, the big adventure, very long....

Hi Kate, I did a trip earlier this year with many of the same stops as you. I agree with everything you said. I had a good laugh as well about the 'hair' comment. That was one thing that surprised me...the wind. It was windy every single day of the two weeks I was there. The first day in Dublin I opened my brand new umbrella in the light rain and it blew inside out! Then after that every time I opened it ...same thing. I am sure I looked like a ninny! We had a good laugh over that. I think I remember someone on here saying an umbrella in Ireland was useless! Glad you had a great time. You will be mulling over the memories for ages. How lucky we are to have visited such a lovely country!

Dublin
Level Contributor
794 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: trip report, the big adventure, very long....

Great report - I agree about Malahide. Also handy for Dublin airport!

california
Level Contributor
552 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: trip report, the big adventure, very long....

I literally laughed out loud at the hair comment, I think I'll just buy a hat! We are going in May and I hope we have better luck with the fog than you did. Sorry you missed seeing the cliffs, but I'm so jealous you went to Kylemore Abbey because I had to cut that from our trip due to time constraints.

Also thanks for the tip about the calling card, I thought I might have to buy a pay-as-you-go phone, it's nice to know there's another option.

Cape Cod, MA
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: trip report, the big adventure, very long....

Donerail.e, I enjoyed the book of Kells and was amazed at the work. I am not sure what I expected. I think over the years of looking at differant photographs with bright lighting, I expected it to be a very large volume. I am glad that I was actually able to view it. Like you said, It is over 1200 years old....worth the trip to see it.

County Meath...
Level Contributor
3,303 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: trip report, the big adventure, very long....

Great trip report,thanks for sharing.I agree Jurys Inn,Galway is in a great location.