We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe for a woman to travel alone through Ireland???

4 posts
Save Topic
Is it safe for a woman to travel alone through Ireland???

I have always wanted to travel to Ireland, I am recently separated and feel this would be a great time to clear my mind and also gets some great pictures as I am a photographer as well, however I do have some concerns about traveling alone, any specific tours that allow some freedom but are also safe for someone on their own?

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it safe for a woman to travel alone through Ireland???

You must have a strange idea of Ireland if you think you need to be on a tour to be safe, you would be perfectly OK on your own, and would meet the locals a lot easier, but if you like tours, take one.

My daughter first started going to Ireland by herself when she was 17, she now lives (by herself) in an isolated spot just outside Dingle town, she rarely locks her doors or car, and sometimes goes off for three days camping in the mountains.

Yes some commonsense is needed anywhere in the world, dont get drunk and lie in the gutter, someone may tread on you.

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it safe for a woman to travel alone through Ireland???

I agree with Fusciagirl - you don't need take a tour to be safe. In any event, I very much doubt if a tour would give you the kind of flexibility (timewise and locationwise) you need to get good photographs. Ireland is a relatively safe country for residents and for visitors. It's not perfect and noblody can guarantee absolute safety, but as Fusciagirl says, if you use common sense, you'll be fine on your own - and hopefully get some great photographs.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it safe for a woman to travel alone through Ireland???

Hi, I am female and after a recent trip to Ireland (did bus tour) I have booked to go back in March 2012. Definately no more bus tours! (although they are good if you have no idea where you want to go) This time, I am hoping to stay up to 8 weeks, starting in Dublin, down the coast, missed Wicklow Nstional Oark last time :(.... parts of County Tipperary, (lots if dead relatives to look up there!) then onto Killarney (planning day trips from there) will somehow make my way to Galway and surrounding areas. I will nit be hiring a car (at this stage) hope to combine public transport with day trips (mini tours I guess) along with the odd taxi.. I am so excited about going back to Ireland, I can hardly breath! 148 days to go!! I will take the same precautions in Ireland that I would home in Australia. Actually, probably safer in Ireland! You will get some great advice on TA and people are very helpful. PS re planned tours, not much sleep, very early starts! Good Luck!

Edited: 15 October 2011, 12:10
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it safe for a woman to travel alone through Ireland???

Sorry about typos! Hate using IPhone!

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it safe for a woman to travel alone through Ireland???

You will be safe travelling on your own in Ireland. Personal attacks are very uncommon. Opportunistic theft is about the worst that could happen - as in any country. So, just use common sense and take normal precautions - mind your passport, don't be flashing the cash, use a moneybelt or something similar, mind your camera and keep an eye on your luggage. And if you are outside the main cities, there is even less likelyhood of anything adverse happening to you. So relax, and enjoy your holiday.

4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it safe for a woman to travel alone through Ireland???

Thank you :) I have just been told by so many people that traveling alone can be somewhat risky on your own. Obviously common sense is a must, but those advising me have never actually been, so I appreciate a first hand opinion. I would actually prefer to travel alone and do my own thing, and as I don't drink, I have no worries of the gutter :) thanks again!

4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it safe for a woman to travel alone through Ireland???

That sounds like so much fun!! Ireland is the one place I have always dreamed of going, I dont have any real rational reason other than just a tug on my heart all my life to get there, if I had the funds to just pick up and move there, I think I would not hesitate :) hope you have a great second trip and thanks for the advice...... I didn't really like the idea of a guided tour, to confined, I would much rather explore on my own!!!

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,827 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it safe for a woman to travel alone through Ireland???

dreaming, get a car and take off on your own...i have done it myself several times....i was in heaven....just came and went as i pleased, took as long/short a time as i wanted...

got lost a couple of times, then had wonderful conversations with a few friendly irish folks, which only added to the fun of the trip....

having grown up in a big city (houston), i am not interested in big cities anywhere but i LOVE the small villages, boreens, etc., in ireland....have left behind some wonderful new friends who i now visited on return trips....God willing, may 10 i will return for trip number 8.....you can't go wrong...

go for it!!!!.....

4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it safe for a woman to travel alone through Ireland???

Thanks everyone for all the great advice, I don't know when I'll be able to get everything set in stone but I really don't want to make to many structured plans, I want to go and get lost and stumble upon as many wonders as I can, while sticking to my common sense as well ;) I'm sure I'll have a million more questions as things get rolling along but all of your posts have been very informative and inspiring!!! Maybe I'll have a chance to post the awesome when all is done!!! Thanks again!!

Texas
Level Contributor
102 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it safe for a woman to travel alone through Ireland???

Yes. I spent 21 days traveling about Ireland and was perfectly safe the entire time. Of course, it is wise to be aware of your surroundings and to not take chances.