We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need to book B&Bs in south and south west Ireland in April?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Need to book B&Bs in south and south west Ireland in April?

I am starting to plan our holiday for next April 2012. We want to drive from Cork around to Donegal in a bit under three weeks.

Do I need to start booking B&Bs in places like Kinsale, Kenmare and Dingle for starters? What about in Donegal, Sligo and Mayo?

I don't want us to be tied down too much but at the same time would like to stay in good accommodation. Any advice?

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,463 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need to book B&Bs in south and south west Ireland in April?

You still got plenty of time though no harm in researching now.Then if you do find something you like then book it.Be careful just with Easter time,check those dates and try get them sorted first.I can recommend one must stay b and b for you in Kerry if you desire?

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,115 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need to book B&Bs in south and south west Ireland in April?

Work out a rough itinerary and then worry about accommodation, even Easter time you will not be short of places to stay. As to recommending accommodation in your stepping stone locations then it would depend on how close to the centre of the place you want to be?

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,055 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need to book B&Bs in south and south west Ireland in April?

Hi, Parts of Mayo & Donegal are quite remote, and don't have a wide choice of accommodation. As said above - let us know your itinerary when ready.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
768 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need to book B&Bs in south and south west Ireland in April?

We traveled throughout Ireland for 23 days in May 2011. We booked B&Bs for the first two nights and the last three. The rest of the time we traveled following a tentative itinerary. Obviously we varied from that as we found places we wanted to stay longer or leave earlier.

We used TA and made a list of possible B&Bs in each location with general info--prices, phone numbers etc. Throughout our trip, only once did we find our B&B of choice to be full. And they recommended another B&B which turned out to be one of our favorites on our trip. (That was in Westport)

There are a lot of good B&Bs in Ireland and in April, like in May, you should have no trouble finding one without prebooking. However, I recommend that you check the TA B&Bs for the areas you plan on visiting. Read the reviews, check each B&B website, make a list of phone numbers and go for it!! Have a great time!! {Incidently, we stayed in Kinsale, Kenmare and Dingle. Sent me a private PM if you'd like info on the places we stayed.}

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need to book B&Bs in south and south west Ireland in April?

Thanks for the tips. I will work out our itinerary a bit more and then post that for comments. And yes I'd like the name of the must stay B&B in Kerry.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
12,001 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need to book B&Bs in south and south west Ireland in April?

kilted, are you ready for that return trip?....we purchased our tickets yesterday...ready to rock n roll....may 10-27.....8-)

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
768 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need to book B&Bs in south and south west Ireland in April?

oma14: How did you know!! Our dates of choice will be May 3-28. My daughter and grandson are planning on going with us this time. We are waiting for her vacation to be OKd. Hope it's soon as we are ready to book!!!

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
413 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need to book B&Bs in south and south west Ireland in April?

When I stayed in Dingle, I just called ahead the morning before I was driving there and found good, well-priced accommodation at the fourth place I called. Moriarty's Farmhouse B&B in Ventry.

I wouldn't think you'd need to book everywhere beforehand, if my experience is anything to go by.

9. Re: Need to book B&Bs in south and south west Ireland in April?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2012, 01:17