We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Excess ins icarhireinsurance vs. insurance 4hire advice?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Topic
Excess ins icarhireinsurance vs. insurance 4hire advice?

Hi,

I have rented a car through autoeurope and when got receipt saw that rental company is Murray's which is now affiliated with Sixt. I've seen a couple posts re; trouble with murray but car is pd for so, fingers crossed.

I rented a nissan note 'or similiar' for 9 days in April of 2012. The price was $380.00 inclusive. I know they will offer supercdw or excess but it looks like will cost approx an extra $250.00 or more. I understand they offer it at pick up or ask for credit card to place a hold on it for the 1500 euro deductible that comes with CDW /inclusive ins. I've been checking any post I can find on here about car hire and saw one this evening about someone who had an issue with icarhireinsurance.com/ They paid for a 1/3 of their 250.00 bill from rental co. With the chance that something may happen with areas not covered by CDW, eg; windscreens, tires, undercarriage, I feel like I should get the excess insurance. Quote from icarhireinsurance was $60.00 and for insurance4hire was $29.00 see below:

Your quote for 9 days cover

europe Single Trip

Basic Premium: £17.10 £26.10 £45.00 £55.00

max 31 days per Rental Agreement

Excess Reimbursement Insurance - £2,000 per claim

Covers the Excess that the driver of a hired vehicle is obliged to pay as a result of:

the Loss of or Damage to the Rental Vehicle, including Fire, Theft, Vandalism and Loss of Use.

A limit of £3,000 applies per rental agreement.

There is NO exclusion for damage to tyres, windscreens and vehicle underbody.

So seems like a no brainer to buy excess ins from a 3rd party but I'm wondering if I'm missing the catch. Has anyone used either ins. co. listed above for excess ins.?

Thank you

Best Seller
Cliffs of Moher Tour Including Wild...
1,204 Reviews
from US$53.50*
Best Seller
Northern Ireland Highlights Day Trip...
1,011 Reviews
from US$77.30*
Best Seller
Aran Islands and Cliffs of Moher Day...
416 Reviews
from US$47.60*
Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Excess ins icarhireinsurance vs. insurance 4hire advice?

The whole question of Super CDW cover is something of a nightmare in this country. I won't claim to understand every nuance of what is acceptable or not. I would suggest that a) you double check that the 3rd party cover you suggest is applicable in Ireland and b) forward details of this 3rd party cover to the hire company and get WRITTEN confirmation from them that the cover is acceptable to them.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
96,981 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Excess ins icarhireinsurance vs. insurance 4hire advice?

The car rental company will not care. If you take out insurance with a third party, the rental company charges you for any damage, and then you have to lodge a claim with the insurance company.

Libertyville...
Level Contributor
2,085 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Excess ins icarhireinsurance vs. insurance 4hire advice?

Hi, I agree with sydneynick - the car rental co. does not care. If you don't purchase SCDW from them, then they'll charge any damage against the 1500 e. hold that they place on your card (regardless whether you bought 3rd-party SCDW or not).

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
20,113 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Excess ins icarhireinsurance vs. insurance 4hire advice?

I have read on another forum that insurance4car hire are changing brokers and are currently only able to offer cover to EU licence holders.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Excess ins icarhireinsurance vs. insurance 4hire advice?

hmm. If I go with 3rd party ins. I think I will do as you suggest Domhnall and try to obtain written confirmation from rental co. that they will accept it; however, It sounds like even if they do accept it, they will probably still charge to credit card and I will have to make a claim. And again, the persons post I had seen re; 3rd party ins. said they only paid 80.00 euros/250 euro claim. They didn't cover for example a 60euro 'damge report' fee or something bogus sounding. It's obvious that the rental co. tries to make using anything other than their excess ins. as difficult and convoluted as possible. UGH! My brain hurts. Thanks all for your input! Your helpfulness is easing the migraine somewhat. :)

Minnesota
Level Contributor
401 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Excess ins icarhireinsurance vs. insurance 4hire advice?

What do the car companies usually charge for super cdw?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Excess ins icarhireinsurance vs. insurance 4hire advice?

I'd like to know if anyone knows what murrays charges specifically for super cdw. I can't find it on my receipt or on their website. Minnetonkalad I've seen people mention on here and elsewhere something like an extra $20/day. So for me that would amnt to an extra $180.00 on top of rental vs. 3rd party hire fee quoted around $60.00. I just don't know how much hassle involved dealing with a 3rd party and if it is worth it.

Earth
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Excess ins icarhireinsurance vs. insurance 4hire advice?

Other websites address the problem too. Google it for more info.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Excess ins icarhireinsurance vs. insurance 4hire advice?

It seems to me that the question of car hire company acceptance of excess insurance does not arise. They don't have a relationship with the insurance company. They charge you if there is a problem and you claim it back if you have insurance. So there is no need to ask permission of the hiring company,or point in trying to do so, just have a credit card with sufficient credit.

London, United...
Level Contributor
113 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Excess ins icarhireinsurance vs. insurance 4hire advice?

Hope you've seen this:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186591-i88-k493…

and will be contacting AutoEurope to assure the safety of your booking?

We used worldwideinsure.com's Car Hire Excess Reimbursement policy and paid £17.10 for a nine day rental last May. Happily, we didn't need to claim, so can't report on their service...

Edited: 10 November 2011, 05:40