We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 day 8 night Ireland tour. March, 2012 Dub-Dub

Shinnston, WV
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
10 day 8 night Ireland tour. March, 2012 Dub-Dub

This will be our first trip to Ireland. There are four of us and we are doing a self-drive trip. I have read alot of helpful things on here, but have not gathered enough to tell if our itinerary is well put together. I am going to post a draft that I hope someone who knows and has a better understanding of the area can help me with and also, others looking to visit Ireland might be able to benefit from. I just included stops and driving times. I do have some knowledge of what to do or look for in each town.

First draft of itinerary

9th- Fly out of PIT get to Dublin on 10th.

10th- After landing we will spend the day getting rental car, checking in, and exploring near our hotel.

11th- Wake up and head south driving N11 down the coastline in to Waterford or Kilkenny. (thought I was set on Waterford, but after reading post rethinking and considering Kilkenny) I mapped this and it is longer than taking N81, but more sights. Without stopping N11 will take approx 2 1/2? We of coarse are planning on making stops which will take longer. Spend evening checking out the town.

12th- Wake up and doing anything we did not get to in Waterford or Kilkenny on the day before. Then we are heading to Cork using N25. Mapped out to 1 1/2 hours w/o stops. Spend evening in Cork

13th- All day and night in Cork ( I figured we would be ready for a 2 night stop by this point. Wished I had one extra day to throw in kerry because it gets the most attention on here and appears to be beautiful. Due to wanting to be in dublin by the night of the 16th, it looks like we will have to miss it. Although, I did consider not booking a place to stay this night and winging it. This way we could stay again in Cork if we wanted or if we felt satisfied with everything we saw there, then we could move on North and drive until we find some place interesting.

14th- Heading north to Galway hopefully getting there around 4-5. I have read traffic in Lemerick is SLOW and considered making Cork one night and driving half way in to Limerick or Clare ( as mentioned above), but I'm thinking a 2 night stay would benefit us after driving the previous days. Cork to Galway mapped out to about 3 hours. Unsure if this is accurate...any input??

15th- All day and night Galway and surrounding areas

16th- Heading to Dublin for St. Patricks day weekend. Spending evening around Dublin and surrounding areas. Mapped this drive at around 3 hrs. Sound right?

17th- All day Dublin

18th- Flight home.

Thanks in advance for anyone who reviews our itinerary. I think I spaced our stops out enough and mapped out routes that will allow us to stop at attractions we are interested in without feeling completely on a rushed timeline. Any input would be greatly appricated.

I read that we should check in with the US embassy upon arrival, is this true? Also, I am usure where the exchange of money takes place.

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,055 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 day 8 night Ireland tour. March, 2012 Dub-Dub

No need to check in with US Embassy.

Most travelers to Ireland use their ATM cards to withdraw cash. Just be sure to inform your bank of the dates of your travel. Also call your credit card companies, with your travel dates.

Shinnston, WV
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 day 8 night Ireland tour. March, 2012 Dub-Dub

Thanks. I'm sure there are charges from my bank and I will check on that, but are there charges from the ATM also? If so, do you know how much per withdrawl and are ATMs frequently easy to locate?

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,055 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 day 8 night Ireland tour. March, 2012 Dub-Dub

The Irish ATMs do not charge a fee. And yes, they are easy to locate, mostly in town centers.

However, your bank may charge a fee for using an out-of-network ATM, and they may also charge a currency conversion fee. (These fees would be per withdrawal). Ask your bank for details. The amount that you can withdraw also depends on your bank.

Shinnston, WV
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 day 8 night Ireland tour. March, 2012 Dub-Dub

Very helpful :)

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 day 8 night Ireland tour. March, 2012 Dub-Dub

The N11 does not actually go down the coast, you are not really going to see anything of the actual coastline. And if you are going to Kilkenny then you would be really heading across the Wicklow mountains and you will not be on motorways at all once you are clear of Dublin.

You could go via Powerscourt and Glendalough, over the Wicklow Gap to Hollywood then across to the M9 and down to Kilkenny. March is still a little bit early in the year so the Wicklow Gap might not be a good idea, but you would have to adjust your plans at the time.

If the weather is not suited to the Wicklow mountains, then just go straight to Kilkenny on the M9, there is loads to do locally around Kilkenny. From Kilkenny it is about half an hour to Waterford on the motorway, then a good road (N25) to Cork. Take a little side trip to Lismore on the way.

Even if you wanted to take in Cahir and Cashel it would be reasonable to go to Waterford then take the N24 across via Clonmel, take in Cahir and Cashel then head down to Fermoy and on to Cork.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,961 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 10 day 8 night Ireland tour. March, 2012 Dub-Dub

have a look at aaroadwatch.ie for more accurate times, but add about 1/3 on if you haven't driven in Ireland before. I agree that the Wicklow mountains may be impractical during March due to frost/snow.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: 10 day 8 night Ireland tour. March, 2012 Dub-Dub

As far as checking in with the US Embassy, perhaps you are thinking of the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)? From the US Dept. of State: "STEP is a free service provided by the U.S. Government to U.S. citizens who are traveling to, or living in, a foreign country. STEP allows you to enter information about your upcoming trip abroad so that the Department of State can better assist you in an emergency."

You can sign-up for STEP at https://travelregistration.state.gov/ibrs/ui/

I just registered with them for my first trip to Ireland, which will be for eight days in late December 2011 and early January 2012. I can tell the four of you will have the time of your lives in Ireland! Shinnston, West Virginia, will never again look the same after you get back. But I suppose neither will Ireland!

8. Re: 10 day 8 night Ireland tour. March, 2012 Dub-Dub

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 November 2012, 04:17