We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggested route for day trip to Connemara

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Topic
Suggested route for day trip to Connemara

Hi,

We are traveling in April '12. The 2nd to last day of our trip we are going to be pushing it but would rather see what we can, than miss a chance to see the Connemara region. Just called my sister and asked if she was up for it and she's game. ...Here is total itinerary but question is regarding day 10.

1)Land Dublin 8a but to B&B walkabout O'Connel st., Trinity/Kells, Merrion square, walk by Dublin Castle, Guiness storehouse tour, wander Temple Bar a bit eat and back to B&B to crash.

2)pick up car at airport drive to Glendalough visit few hrs, drive to Cashel (we're pushing here a bit) If we're not complete zombies at this point visit Bru Boru in evening and then to our B&B.

3)In morning, see ROC. Drive on to Blarney (sis wants to kiss the stone) after this on to Kinsale sleep here

4) Wander Kinsale a little bit and we're off along coast to Bantry thru Healy into Kenmare sleep here.

5)Drive the ROK back to Kenmare sleep.

6)Drive thru Kilarney to Connor pass from North in to Dingle (I know it gets gnarley as driven it before but the views are worth the white knuckles) sleep Dingle

7)Poss do Scuirid tour in morn afternoon explore on our own. Sleep again Dingle

8) Drive north to Loop Head and drive around it then continue north to Cliffs of Moher and stay in Doolin.

9) Visit Burren area end up near Galway and sleep here.

10) Up and out asap and drive around Connemara, I've read about Sky rd. Clifden...looked at maps but not clear how best to drive this in our day, because at the end of this....we two idiots are going to drive the 2 1/2 -3hrs to our last B&B in Swords. In the morning day 11 we depart for home.

Blarney Castle & Gardens
Castles, Historic Sites, Historic Walking Areas, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Kilkenny Castle
Castles, Historic Sites
Trim Castle
Castles, Historic Sites
Dublin
Level Contributor
168 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggested route for day trip to Connemara

That is a seriously hardcore itinerary...

In relation to day 10, it's possible so long as you can share the driving.

Galway to Clifden via the most scenic route (hugging the coast) will take at least two hours, probably more and then if you take main Clifden-Galway road back, it's probably an hour, maybe an hour and 15 minutes. The Sky Road itself is very short, maybe about a 20 minute loop.

So you're looking at three hours driving at least, before you get on the motorway and go back to Dublin. What you could do would be to skip Galway city completely and stay somewhere in Connemara on night 9, maybe Spiddal or Inverin and at least then when you wake up you're ready to go.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,759 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggested route for day trip to Connemara

I am a seriouse Connamara fan and regular visitor but think you are pushing it with a trip across to Dublin for an early flight.

I would drop a night from Kinsale or one from Dingle if you are going to get anything from the vastness of the area,

If you cant bear to skip a double night in a small place for a single night in a large place then day 9 needs to be modified. I would spend night 9 in Oughterard which is on the main N59 road out.

The best way to drive the Sky road is to head out of Clifden and take the left turn (lower sky) under the coastguard station. Follow this to the T up the hill and turn right back to Clifden past the viewing point. From Clifden you can return to Galway either down across the Bog Road and up onto the N59 or past Kylemore Abbey along the Fiord and drop to Mamm Cross from Leenann. At Mamm you can decide on taking the Spiddal coatal road or the quick route back down the N59. Clifden to DublinPort, Direct, is 4 hours so Swords would be the same.

Edited: 16 November 2011, 11:12
Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
8,271 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggested route for day trip to Connemara

Some drives through Connemara detailed here as well:

galway.net/galwayguide/…

And, these maps might help with a visual of the various options:

www.connemara.net/Map/Connemara-Publications

www.connemara.net/Map/Connemara-Tourism

http://clifden.galway-ireland.ie/maps.htm

Maybe, an idea or two in this article on the coastal areas of Galway and Mayo:

independent.ie/travel/inside-ireland/seaside…

I agree that trying to do even a slice of Connemara and then make your way to Swords afterwards is not ideal.

Also, be aware you have to be at Dublin Airport 3 hours ahead of your flight time the following day, assuming you are flying to Chicago.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,696 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggested route for day trip to Connemara

I would a gree with Tony2phones, forget Connemara or else drop a night elsewhere to give yoou more time there.

The Sciuird Tour in Dinglle is a good choice if archeology is your thing. You can visit the sites yourself, but the guide adds a whole new dimension to the story. Odd choice of name; sciuird means "dash" in Irish, yet the tour is quite relaxed. Maybe they mean that they are dashing through thousands of years of history in 2-3 hours

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,059 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggested route for day trip to Connemara

3) I would drop Kinsale, and drive directly from Blarney to Kenmare, providing more time for Galway/Connemara.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggested route for day trip to Connemara

Thank you all and yep, I hear you ConnorO. @soonas: Maybe I should change my posting name to "Dash" with this itinerary? :)

I had considered day 7 touring on our own around Dingle and in early afternoon, making our way north to Doolin, (staying Doolin at end day 7 rather than 2nd night in Dingle) Which would allow us to explore Burren day 8.

@Tony2: At present am booked at B&B in Oranmore on day 9 but possibly could add day 8. This places us 15 min or so out of Galway. We were not planning on visiting Galway city just a drive through/around Connemara. That would leave all of day 9 for Connemara sleep again Oranmore. Then day 10 would be open and could be more leisurely making our way to Swords.

@Uasal, thank you for links. We leave on Day 11 @12:45p. Originally with above listed itinerary I had considered after touring Connemara, driving to and staying in Athlone; then getting on rd by 6a to drive to airport. I want to return car by 8am so that will be at airport to check-in by 9a...giving us our 3hrs+ but ended up booking in Swords more driving at end day 10, but don't have to get up at the crack of dawn to drive to airport morning of departure.

Yes Tony2, I had considered 2 nights in Kenmare and 2 nights in Dingle an opportunity to catch our breath a bit from 1st 1/2 trip. If we dropped 2nd night stay in Dingle, would we be able to tour the peninsula in the morning day 7 and have enough time if left by 1or 2pm to drive north to Doolin same day? Maybe save Cliffs for our Burren day. I've booked all B&B's but all may be changed up until 2 days prior to stay.

Much food for thought for me to chew on..thanks again all.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,759 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggested route for day trip to Connemara

The Cliff;s don't close so provided you can find one of the few remaining places without parking prohibiting yellow lines then you can walk out to the cliffs after closing or before opening. On a good day the sunset is well worth it. I often suggest (and get scorned for) heading round to Dingle, drive Slea Head then exit over the Connor Pass on the way to the Shannon ferry. As you are having a night in Dingle then there is no problem doing the two poles Dingle to Doolin in a day.

Taking your time you could call at Clonmacnoise and possibly another stop before Swords,

8. Re: Suggested route for day trip to Connemara

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 December 2012, 10:17