We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rick Steves guidebooks

Anacortes...
3 posts
Save Topic
Rick Steves guidebooks

Spending 2 weeks in Ireland this spring. One week on a tour, one week on my own. I hear there are some negatives to Rick Steves?

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
768 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rick Steves guidebooks

Suggest you do a search in "Ireland Forums". Just type in "Rick Steves". There is plenty of discussion, both good and bad.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,591 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rick Steves guidebooks

Many of us living here think that the Ireland Rick Steves visited is NOT the one we abide in ;o)

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,108 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rick Steves guidebooks

Wonderful books, Burn really well and give heat to the fire, It always helps when they are full of hot air to start with. Of course if you are going to Dingle you will be fine, I believe the man is known as St Steve down there.

In fairness its a great book to give as a gift to someone who wants to dream about the Auld Sod, but there are less opinionated for people who actually want to come here. There are many general books and some to read for specific areas, not necessarily guide books.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186591-i88-k30699…

Nebraska
Level Contributor
516 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Rick Steves guidebooks

His guidebook to Ireland is pretty shallow. Any of the DK Eyewitness books you can find on Ireland are great. They are not so much of a guidebook as idea books. That is all you need for Ireland. Try looking at your local library.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,222 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rick Steves guidebooks

Some of us on the Dingle peninsula don't think much of him either, Tony, so If I come across one of his books, I will send it you to add to your fuel store. It could be a harsh winter yet.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,575 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rick Steves guidebooks

Don't use Rick Steves as the sole source of information for planning your trip and you will be fine!

Nova Scotia Canada
Level Contributor
651 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rick Steves guidebooks

It is a good idea to look through a variety of travel books-check what is in your library. I like R Steeves sometimes-loved his Venice information. For 3 weeks driving in Ireland in September, we thoroughly enjoyed using the Eyewitness Travel-Back Roads Ireland book-whether you are driving or not, it is an excellent source of information, with lovely photos and very concise helpful suggestions and maps. The latest edition is 2010 and we kept it open daily while driving and took it into restaurants to look ahead-I highly recommend it.

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,055 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rick Steves guidebooks

Rick Steve's guide covers certain places in Ireland, especially ones that start with a "D" - Dublin, Dingle, Doolin.

For more complete guides which also help get off the beaten path: Lonely Planet, Rough Guides, even Let's Go.

I agree about DK Backroads Ireland - wonderful book!

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,591 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rick Steves guidebooks

Part of the problem is that people tend to treat RS with an unshakable reverence - i.e. if Rick Steves says it, it MUST be right, regardless of what others think. And often people will only use RS as a reference and ignore or disregard everything he ignores or disregards.

All of the guide books that rate things, are merely the opinions of others. Great if you agree with them but not so great if you have different perspectives or taste.

We (as in the Bean family) don't always agree with the Michelin ones while travelling and have sometimes found a 2 star attraction (supposedly only worth a diversion) worth a journey and found some 3 star attractions (supposedly worth a journey) not worth a detour.

So, use a variety of books. Go to the travel section of your local library when you are planning. Read as much as you can, speak to people here, then arrive with an open mind.

10. Re: Rick Steves guidebooks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 December 2012, 10:19