We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

October trip report- part one

England
Level Contributor
186 posts
144 reviews
Save Topic
October trip report- part one

This is a long overdue trip report and totally off the cuff so I am not sure what form it is going to take!

I flew from Stansted with the lovely Ryanair, and was greeted in Dublin with the fanfare on the plane informing me that another Ryanair flight was on time! Oh joy.......

I checked into the Roxford House Hotel (reviewed separately) and spent the day wandering around before my friend was due to arrive from the US the following day, full of the nervous excitement you get when you first arrive in your destination, feet itching.

The next day, mild enough to be out without a coat, my jetlagged friend knocks on the hotel room door, replete with gifts from the US. After catching up on some sleep, we waste no time in heading out- firstly to the Guinness Storehouse and then Kilmainham Gaol. We took one of the HOHO buses. A tip for future travellers: take the green bus because this one has live commentary- the other only has recorded commentary (we took the wrong one, but then remembered the green one being really good on a previous trip to Dublin). I remembered going to the Church bar previously and thought my friend would like this so took her there. We heard our first (of many!) rendition of Whiskey in the Jar.

On our next day, we took a cycle tour of Dublin. My bike was called Molly Malone :) Now, I am not at all confident on a bicycle but the tour was pretty easy and the guys made us wear all the safetly gear. We got to see parts of Dublin that we otherwise would have missed, and it was very enjoyable. One of the guys running the tour was also a musician so later that night we went to The Celt where he was playing. We also enjoyed food in here (reviewed separately)

The next day we left Dublin. Having never hired a car before, the nerves set in as we went to the airport to pick up our hire car. We used Hertz and had no problems- we got the car that we had requested. As 'the one used to driving on the left', I was designated driver for the whole trip, while the Thelma to my Louise was chief navigator. Luckily we had a happier ending than those two, but on the down side there was no Brad Pitt figure in our story!

It was then a nice easy drive to Belfast, where we checked in at the Tara Lodge. We both really enjoyed Belfast- we were there on a Friday night and the city has a great vibe to it. Our location at Tara Lodge was great because we were in a studenty part of town. We went on a black taxi tour (I can't remember the name, sorry) and our driver Steve seemed to have an encyclopedic knowledge of 'the Troubles', while remaining neutral. In the evening we went to see a traditional Irish band called Dervish at the Ulster Hall. Both the venue and the band were fantastic. Before leaving Belfast we went on a walking tour with a blue badge guide who was again very knowledgable and gave a fantastic insight into the city and its history.

The next couple of days were spent with relatives of mine in Ballymoney, which we used as a base to explore the region. We had a wonderful day driving the Antrim coast road. It was sunny and peaceful, though scary at times driving along those cliff edges! I was more confident in the car by this point and began to really enjoy the driving and the freedom of having a car. I think it was on this day, on the way back into Ballymoney that we had to stop for some geese crossing the road! Those 'rush hour in Ulster' postcards are no joke! Of course we visited the carrick-a-rede rope bridge and made it to the Causeway at sunset, where we were gifted with a double rainbow. How to describe the Causeway? It's both quiet and dramatic with the sound of the crashing waves.............it really has to be seen, experienced- though of course it is a photographer's dream as I think it photographs really well.

Hopefully I will make a part two soon.........there is a lot to say about this wonderful island!

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,055 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: October trip report- part one

Thanks for the report! I also very much liked Belfast, when I visited last yr....

Canada
Level Contributor
124 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: October trip report- part one

I really enjoyed your report and am looking forward to your part two!

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,388 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: October trip report- part one

Lovely report - and I'm really pleased you made it up to the north coast! We've had some amazing rainbows recently - I nearly crashed the car on Sunday gazing at the most perfect double rainbow!..

Belfast is really coming into its own as a city which is brilliant. I love it but then am a bit biased! I have also stayed twice at Tara Lodge although not recently and think it is a great place. Location may look a bit dodgy but it isn't.

Looking forward to part two:)

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,441 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: October trip report- part one

nice report

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,515 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: October trip report- part one

Thanks for a great trip report....Glad to hear a positive note about Ryanair, I sometimes wonder what all the fuss is about.

Belfast is of course a fine city and is becoming more popular with tourists each year as new opportunities come on stream, next April marks the opening of the new Titanic exhibition centre.

The Black-taxi tour sounds interesting, but do you get an opportunity to walk the Falls and Shankill roads and talk to local people.. We did a 'peace-line' walking tour earlier this year organised by ex-prisoners on both sides of the divide. It was interesting to listen to their own comments of Belfast through the troubles!!!

Edited: 30 November 2011, 18:04
6. Re: October trip report- part one

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 18:18