We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Dublin to Tralee--couple questions.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
From Dublin to Tralee--couple questions.

Please excuse my ignorance if any of these questions seem obvious :)

My fiance's family supposedly originated from "Dublin, Tralee, Ireland" It was written this way to me from his grandfather. Am I correct to assume that Tralee, is the same place that is 3.5 hours away from Dublin? (on the opposite coast) Why was it written the way above w/ Dublin included. (again, if this is obvious, sorry.) :)

Second--Part of our reason for the surprise trip is so we can go to where his ancestors originated from.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g186613-d612038…

would this be a good place to stay? We have about 4 days in Ireland before heading to London, so I just want to make sure I plan and make arrangements early. We are coming for St. Patricks Day, 2012. I have booked the 17th and 18th as suggested by y'all, so thank you for all your wonderful insight!

I guess my other question would be, can you fly from Tralee? Or would we need to head back to Dublin to catch the flight from there to London? Also, renting a car is our best bet probably, correct?

Thank you to everyone again!

Kerry
Level Contributor
621 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: From Dublin to Tralee--couple questions.

No idea why it was written that way......maybe your family came from BOTH Dublin and Tralee or from Tralee and travelled to Dublin and emigrated from there...

You can fly direct from Kerry airport to London daily f using

www.ryanair.com

www.kerryairport.ie

it's about 12 km from Tralee to farranfore - Kerry airport

You may wish to stay nearer Dingle town if that is where your ancestors came from plenty of pubs restaurants etc there

you can easily drive to slea head from there....

you deffo need to rent a car...

Edited: 01 December 2011, 18:54
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: From Dublin to Tralee--couple questions.

perfect, thank you so much :)

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,383 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Dublin to Tralee--couple questions.

My responses below prefixed by ####

My fiance's family supposedly originated from "Dublin, Tralee, Ireland" It was written this way to me from his grandfather. Am I correct to assume that Tralee, is the same place that is 3.5 hours away from Dublin? (on the opposite coast) Why was it written the way above w/ Dublin included. (again, if this is obvious, sorry.) :)

#### I have no idea why it was written this way. I do not know of any place named Dublin in the vicinity of Tralee and vice versa. It would seem to me that this is some kind of typo or mis information. Maybe one side of the family was from Dublin and the other from Tralee? Hard to know. You need to dig a little further.

Second--Part of our reason for the surprise trip is so we can go to where his ancestors originated from.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g186613-d612038…

would this be a good place to stay? We have about 4 days in Ireland before heading to London, so I just want to make sure I plan and make arrangements early. We are coming for St. Patricks Day, 2012. I have booked the 17th and 18th as suggested by y'all, so thank you for all your wonderful insight!

#### I'll check that out seperately in a minute and get back to you.

I guess my other question would be, can you fly from Tralee?

#### There is no airport in Tralee however the small airport of Farranfore (Kerry Airport) is only 12 miles from Tralee and Ryanair.com may have a service from there to London. I will check that also in a minute. Failing that, you could fly to London from Cork Airport. Cork Airport is 75 miles from Tralee - about 2 hour drive. Alternatively you could fly from Shannon Airport to London. Shannon Airport is also about 75 miles from Tralee and again about 2 hour trip. Ryanair fly from Shannon to London.

Or would we need to head back to Dublin to catch the flight from there to London?

#### Not necessarily - as already mentioned above.

Also, renting a car is our best bet probably, correct?

#### Absolutely. I always stress that a car is pretty much the only effective way to be an independent traveller in Ireland especially when you don't have a lot of time to spend here.

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Dublin to Tralee--couple questions.

I agree with KEK - there is no address format that I can think of which links Dublin and Tralee, so maybe your fiance's grandfather lived in both locations. If he was living in either location in 1901 or 1911, you can check him out in the Census returns for those years - see www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search. These are the only returns which are available online. It might solve the address mystery.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: From Dublin to Tralee--couple questions.

I looked that flights from Kerry; it looks like there's only one on Sunday and Weds. Im guessing we would need to leave on Monday so Cork is a great option. thank you! :)

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: From Dublin to Tralee--couple questions.

Ill do that. I have an email into his uncle that has all the information :) he slipped it to me at Thanksgiving dinner last week, so we couldn't really talk about it since my fiance' was right there :)

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,383 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: From Dublin to Tralee--couple questions.

Slea Head farm looks absolutely wonderful and the reviews are almost all at a 5. However be aware that this B&B is abnout 43 miles from Tralee right out on the tip of the Dingle Peninsula. I have no idea how Tripadvisor has the Tralee address, it's just a mistake.

I would much prefer to stay at Dingle than in Tralee, but that is a personal choice. If you stay at Dingle (Slea Head Farm) you will also be 43 miles from Farranfore airport, but don't let this put you off staying at this stunning location.

Kerry
Level Contributor
621 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: From Dublin to Tralee--couple questions.

If you are flying from US to Dublin for e.g. you could just take a train (Heuston Train Station - book tickets in advance online here

http://www.irishrail.ie/home/

to Killarney which is approx 10 km to Kerry airport and either rent a car from

http://www.budget.ie/killarney.htm in the town itself

or else hire one from the Kerry airport itself

northing wrong with hiring one in Dublin but you may be tired after your flight etc

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: From Dublin to Tralee--couple questions.

We don't mind driving there at all. I think it looks just beautiful. :) Thank you for the heads up too. Im wondering how bad the jetlag will be. We are hoping to just head out for St. Patrick's festivities, but we will see! Train might be a great idea when heading out, but Im assuming we may already have a car from touring dublin. The hop on/hop off bus sounds great, so maybe not.

Thank you for the insight :)

Kerry
Level Contributor
621 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: From Dublin to Tralee--couple questions.

There are flights from Kerry to London Luton which is just outside london

iavailable on 19th march ....there is a train you get from there to Kings Cross St Pancras London from there....

I use it 3 times a year ...its very handy

its more convenient than London Stanstead route IMO