We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coast to Coast

UK
Level Contributor
149 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Coast to Coast

Hello all, my parents (in their 80s) would like me to arrange a holiday in Ireland for next September for us (me, husband and them). I would like your thoughts on this itinerary (and how best to arrange the travel)

They have done a lot in the South/SouthWest, and my husband and I have done little beyond Dublin (hey, more literary museums than most countries have, how could we get out?), so I was thinking of a coast-to-coast trip with two nights/full day in Meath (staying at the Newgrange Youth Hostel), an overnight at Clonmacnoise, and then a few nights at Connemara Youth hostel. I look wistfully at an extension to the Aran Islands.

We like walking, driving and cycling (the last in my parent's case) in beautiful landscapes, heritage, and (in my case) eating lobsters... It is my parents who are the keen hostellers, and looking at the website both seem to be lovely.

Anyway ... does that sound like a good idea? And does it matter which way, east-west or west-east? It would seem best to fly from England (where we all live) and then rent a car, but going by ferry is also an option (although my husband and I are want to spend most of our holiday in Ireland, not traveling to/from).

Thanks, all!

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,055 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coast to Coast

Hi, Not sure that there is a hostel near Clonmacnoise? But you may be able to find other lodging in nearby Shannonbridge or Athlone.

I applaud your hosteling spirit! I did a lot of hosteling in Ireland when I was younger. I once stayed at another hostel in Connemara, the Ben Lettery hostel - beautiful setting!

uniqueirishhostels.com/http:__www.uniqueiris…

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coast to Coast

I have no idea where you live in the UK and how long it would take you to drive to the ferry ports that serve Ireland, but don't completely discount the option of taking your own car over by ferry. Car hire is expensive in Ireland and on top of that you would have the cost of air fares. I imagine the ferry costs would be considerably less than both of those combined. So check out prices, before you decide on your mode of travel from the UK.

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,734 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coast to Coast

I always tend to take the ferry, it might work out cheaper for you if there is 4 of you and one car. What we did last time we went over was stopped over one night in Prestatyn (don't ask) and than caught the ferry from Holyhead the very next day. It was nice to stop over and the night in Prestayn was just an extra day on the holiday as opposed to just travelling if you see my point.

Will read your thread will interest as those areas you want to explore are those I've yet to see.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
10,947 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coast to Coast

+1 for ferry, having your own car means you can bring layers of clothing more easily and it will give you so much freedom.

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,734 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coast to Coast

Exactly, I can't travel light at all, so I'm glad I don't have to keep my cases a certain weight.

6. Re: Coast to Coast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 January 2013, 10:27