We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

any differenve in car rental from hertz/avis/etc vs irish co

Frostburg
Level Contributor
55 posts
132 reviews
Save Topic
any differenve in car rental from hertz/avis/etc vs irish co

I am looking at booking a car rental in Ireland for one week so that we can self-drive independently. Is there any big difference in booking through one of the big AVIS/HERTZ/enterprise vs one of the companies in Ireland (Dooley, etc.)?

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,570 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: any differenve in car rental from hertz/avis/etc vs irish co

If you've booked with Avis/Hertz etc in other countries and are happy with them then stick with them here.

Frostburg
Level Contributor
55 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: any differenve in car rental from hertz/avis/etc vs irish co

I guess I should have stated that I have not ever booked a rental car in another country. :) I am comfortable with those companies when I have used them in the US but wasn't sure if it would be the most beneficial to do so while in Ireland. I have gotten a quote from the Dooley rental company but have also seen some not so great reviews of them. Anyone have a suggestion about pros/cons of either? TIA

San Diego
Level Contributor
59 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: any differenve in car rental from hertz/avis/etc vs irish co

We will traveling to Ireland in March. I just reserved an automatic compact car through Thrifty. We have used them for years in the U.S. The rate for 10 days is $105. It seemed way too cheap, but I just got off the phone with them confirming the price. Our credit card provides the collision/theft insurance coverage. We have always been pleased with Thrifty's service.

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: any differenve in car rental from hertz/avis/etc vs irish co

Repeating a frequent message on this site- always check out the detail on your hire agreement as many hire companies have add-on costs which are not always obvious.

Don't assume that your credit card will cover you for full collision damage insurance as many if not most US credit cards will not offer coverage in Ireland.

You should factor in the cost of super CDW insurance into your hire costs. Super CDW means that you are insured against all claims regardless of amount of claim and responsibility for claim. If you don't take out super CDW or have insurance via your credit card which is accepted by the hire company in Ireland, the hire company will put a stop on a large amount on your credit card to cover possible claims.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,161 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: any differenve in car rental from hertz/avis/etc vs irish co

In the past, I've used Hertz (UK/Scotland) and Avis (Amsterdam) with no qualms. We're also using Thrifty for our upcoming Ireland holiday in April.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,570 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: any differenve in car rental from hertz/avis/etc vs irish co

I don't recall any negative posts about Thrifty here on TA recently (unless they trade under another name in Ireland)

Our public transport system outside of cities and large towns is so deficient that it makes car hire a necessary evil for visitors. Happily, the vast majority have a very good experience and find that the driving and roads in particular are not all as bad as they are made out to be.

Just be aware that if you are coming from a (right hand side of the road drive) country, that you should be extremely vigilant during the first two days on the road. Make use of your passengers too. I take something to stick onto the steering wheel as a reminder to drive on the correct side.

Enjoy.

Edited: 09 January 2012, 22:54
Earth
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: any differenve in car rental from hertz/avis/etc vs irish co

Did you read all this?

Additional drivers must qualify with a valid driver's license in their own name. There may be charges for additional drivers.

VAT at 21% will be charged on all rentals when the rental period in Ireland exceeds 35 days. Forward facing baby seats are available for children from 9-18kg (forward facing only). Booster seats are available for children up to 6 years of age. Steering wheel is on the right side of ALL vehicles.

Physical Damage Waiver (PDW) reduces renter's financial responsibility for the Thrifty vehicle to between EUR 1200.00 and EUR 2000.00 in the event of collision damage. Super Damage Waiver Insurance (additional cover) is optional, purchase reduces responsibility to EUR100.00 except Luxuries (LDAN and LDAR) where responsibility is reduced to EUR 200.00. Must be purchased along with PDW. To decline Thrifty PDW and Theft Protection, the renter must have either US issued World MasterCard or Canadian issued Gold/Platinum Visa/MasterCard and provide WRITTEN PROOF that the card has relevant coverage for THE REPUBLIC OF IRELAND. The option to decline Thrifty PDW and Theft Protection may not be available to non-US/Canadian nationals as only US World MasterCard and Canadian Gold/Platinum Visa/MasterCard are accepted. Only US issued World MasterCard or Canadian issued Gold/Platinum Visa/MasterCard can be used to waive PDW and Theft coverage. These cards will only be accepted for coverage for rental periods of less than 28 days in any calendar year. If a relevant card and cover letter are not produced at time of commencement of rental, then Thrifty PDW and Theft Protection must be purchased. Theft Protection (TP) reduces renter's responsibility for the vehicle in case of theft to between EUR 1100.00 and EUR 2000.00. Protection Plus cover is available to renters using US issued World MasterCard and costs EUR10 per day. Protection Plus is additional cover provided by Thrifty as top up cover for the items MasterCard do not cover such as blowouts or tyre /rim damage that is not caused by theft or vandalism or is not a result of a vehicle collision causing tyre or rim damage depreciation, diminishment of value, administrative, or other fees charged by the vehicle rental company. Location DOES NOT accept Travel Guard Insurance. Location does NOT accept insurances purchased on third party websites. Third party liability in included in the rental rate. Customers who choose to rely on their credit card for insurance are subject to an administration fee of 15.00EUR. This administration fee covers communicating with your card holder to establish cover for the processing of claims and the supply of relevant information on rentals in case of damage.

Driving is on the left side of the road. Vehicles may be driven from Ireland into Northern Ireland. Cost is EUR 30.00 per rental. No other out of country driving is permitted. Distances in Ireland are measured in kilometers.

Any changes to the reservation or rental may result in a change of rate or additional fees.

A prepaid fuel policy is in operation - purchase fuel on arrival and do not refuel on return.

This location accepts the following credit cards and/or methods of payment: American Express, Diners Club International, MasterCard and Visa. Customer must use a major credit card at the time of rental in their own name. Deposit required at time of rental is the amount of the insurance excess for the vehicle. Amount varies by cartype, from EUR 1200 to EUR 2000. Location does NOT accept the use of a Debit/Check card for payment of rental. Cash is not accepted as a form of payment for rentals.

Rental counter located In Terminal in Arrivals Hall, at the Thrifty/Dollar Car Rental Desk in Prebooked Car Hire Area. Exit baggage hall, turn right, go to the end of the hall. The Prebooked Area is located to the right of the Bank of Ireland.

A valid driver's license in the customer's own name must be presented at the time of pick up. License must have been held a minimum of 2 years. An International Driver's Permit must accompany any license that is not in English. Minimum age is 25 on all vehicles. Drivers over the age of 74 will need to provide a medical certificate which states that they are fit to drive and a letter from their insurance company stating that they are currently driving and have not had an accident within the last 5 years. This information must be received in advance of your rental.

Renter must be 28 years of age or older to rent the Full Size category.

Renter must be 28 years of age or older to rent the Luxury category.

Renter must be 28 years of age or older to rent the Minivan category.

Renter must be 28 years of age or older to rent the Premium category.

Renter must be 27 years of age or older to rent the Intermediate SUV and the Standard SUV. Renter must be 28 years of age or older to rent the Full Size SUV.

Renter must be 27 years of age or older to rent the Standard category.

Renter must be 27 years of age or older to rent the Wagons.

Earth
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: any differenve in car rental from hertz/avis/etc vs irish co

Above was from Thrifty & below is from them also.

Waive CDW.

US World MasterCard & Canadian VisaCard/MasterCard Auto rental insurance

Options:

***VERY IMPORTANT - MUST READ IF YOU ARE WAIVING CDW INSURANCE***

***NOT AVAILABLE to non US/Canada nationals - Only US issued world MasterCard or Canadian issued Visa will be accepted***

***NOT APPLICABLE TO CUSTOMERS TRANSFERRING OWN IRISH INSURANCE POLICY - ANY CUSTOMER WISHING TO DO THIS MUST CONTACT OUR RESERVATIONS TEAM ON 01-8441944***

Since September 1st 2006 most US credit cards will not cover you for Collision Damage Waiver Insurance in the Republic of Ireland. To decline our CDW insurance, you must have either a US issued World MasterCardor Canadian issued Gold/Platinum Visa/MasterCard and provide WRITTEN PROOF that the card has relevant coverage for THE REPUBLIC OF IRELAND. If a relevant card and cover letter are not produced at time of commencement of rental then our CDW insurance must be purchased at the local daily rate. Only relevant US or Canadian issued credit cards can be used to waive our CDW insurance – we do not accept European credit cards for coverage.

***Please be advised that a 28.38Euro (inclusive of VAT) administration fee will be applicable for anyone using their credit card to waive insurance and will bepayable on arrival***

MasterRental Insurance and Canadian VisaCard/MasterCard Auto Rental Insurance may allow you to waive the cost of Theft Protection and Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) for rental cars in some countries. This coverage is ONLY available with US World MasterCard some Canadian VisaCard/MasterCard programs.

If you pay for the full rental with your eligible US World MasterCard or Canadian VisaCard/MasterCard you may be covered for up to 50,000US Dollars auto rental insurance for your rental without excess.

***PLEASE BE ADVISED THAT FOR SECURITY REASONS, 2000EURO WILL BE CHARGED TO YOUR CARD in case of damage. If there is anydamage, this amount can be claimed back through your credit card company. No damage on return will result in a full refund to your card. We will NOT be held responsible for any exchange rate charges as a result.

This insurance covers the rental vehicle. This is an insurance program, certain restrictions and exclusions apply. In order to establish if your credit card includes Auto Rental Insurance in the Republic of Ireland please call your credit card issuer before making your reservation.

This coverage is a service provided by US MasterCard OR Visa/MasterCard Canada to the cardholder and therefore itis the card holders responsibility to ensure that they are adequately covered for the entire duration of the rental period. We reserve the right to refuse third party insurance.

Contact details for MasterCard 1-800-MC-ASSIST.

Contact details for Visa Canada 416.367.8472.

In order to establish if your US MasterCard or Canadian VisaCard/MasterCard includes Auto Rental Insurance in the Republic of Ireland please call your credit card issuer and/or US MasterCard/Canadian VisaCard/MasterCard before making your reservation. It is important to confirm to your credit card issuer that the Republic of Ireland as your place of rental.

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
1,130 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: any differenve in car rental from hertz/avis/etc vs irish co

Sally wrote: "Did you read all this?"

Yes.

What point are you attempting to make?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,161 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: any differenve in car rental from hertz/avis/etc vs irish co

What Keith said!

Yes I too have read all of their fine print and completely OK with it. I don't know why you're making such a point of it Sally.

I'm completely OK with assuming the risk using my MC World Card for the coverage they afford me, under the terms imposed by Thrifty.