We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I need the experts to tell me if this is do-able

New Jersey
Level Contributor
16 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
I need the experts to tell me if this is do-able

Our family (3 adults, 3 kids) traveling to Ireland the week before Easter(8 days/7 nights). Travel agent trying to put us in all Adare Manor type places but we want some variety--is this itinerary possible (with local guide/driver)?

1-Fly into Shannon-stay in Ballyvaughan (Gregans Castle Hotel?)

2- Sightsee cliffs of Moher & Burren head south, spend night in Dingle (where?) or Killarney?

3--See Dingle peninsula, Kerry area stay over night in Kenmare (Sheen Falls or Shelburne Lodge?) --2 nights? or

4-- Drive to Cork--stay where? In CorK? Nice country house outside? Hayfield MAnor suggested--help...

5-- Drive & stay at Waterford Castle

6--HEad to Dublin--see Kilkenny on the way--2 nights at W across from Trinity then home

As you can see I need some help on best ideas for this route--skip going north first night & just head south? Any help would be appreciated:)

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,443 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I need the experts to tell me if this is do-able

I don't see any B&Bs in your itinerary. If you want a real mix of accommodations, then I'd include at least one night in a B&B. (It's a great chance to interact with a local family.)

If you are going to Kenmare, I can highly recommend Abbey Lodge. We had a great time visiting with Brendan and he was a wealth of information about what to see and do in the area.

Be sure to book a B&B soon since you will need a number of rooms for your crew.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
36 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I need the experts to tell me if this is do-able

I would be interested in replies as well..

New Jersey
Level Contributor
16 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I need the experts to tell me if this is do-able

Thanks for the suggestion-we love B&Bs but with 6 of us not sure they will be able to accomodate us--will look into Abbey Lodge:)

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I need the experts to tell me if this is do-able

Re Hayfield Manor in Cork - it's a very nice hotel but it's not outside Cork in a rural setting (in case that's what you were seeking) - it's in the inner suburbs of the city in a convenient location near the university.

Also note that you are being offered fairly upmarket locations with fine dining etc - great for adults but you might want to ensure that all the locations are entirely happy with kids, particularly of they are young and energetic

Earth
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: I need the experts to tell me if this is do-able

You say your travel agent is trying to put you in upscale accommodations. Know why? They cost more and s/he gets more commissions. All about $$$

You can probably do a much lower cost trip choosing your own accommodations. Stay at some B&Bs. Mix it up.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,305 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I need the experts to tell me if this is do-able

Check out Pax House for your Dingle night.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
16 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I need the experts to tell me if this is do-able

Thanks for the advice all--any suggestions for a Kinsale hotel? Is Ballymaloe all they say it is?

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
18,967 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I need the experts to tell me if this is do-able

Just to play devils advocate, Before considering accommodation you are asking about a guide/driver. Will you be hiring a car and driving yourself or looking for a company to drive you round? If the former then decide what your group wants, if the latter contact Irish operators to see what they offer.

Over the years some terrible agent designed itineraries have been put forward for comment on several forums. If they were builders involving similar amounts of expense you would want references and possibly a look at previously done work.

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
14 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I need the experts to tell me if this is do-able

Just to jump in to give me tuppence worth! Kinsale - Trident Hotel or Actons Hotel but there are LOADS of B&B's in Kinsale worth trying to. Actons has a pool and maybe this would be good for the children travelling with you. Great restaurant near the Trident and Actons is Fishy Fishy.

Ballymaloe - food is truly fabulous but I have never stayed there.

Seems like your travel agent is putting you in high priced accommodations - Hayfield Manor is a 5 star. Other less expensive options would be the River Lee Hotel or the Clarion Hotel Cork (both of which are in the city the same as the Hayfield Manor). For a little outside the City you could try Rochestown Park Hotel. Fota Island Resort/Hotel is 15 mins outside the City and is also 5 star.

Hope this helps.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
10,692 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I need the experts to tell me if this is do-able

I think Castlemartyr would be fantastic, more space than Ballymaloe , pool and acres of space!If you want to go slightly cheaper, Garryvoe hotel is right on the beach, pool etc again.if you can get a sea-view room, I'd highly recommend it