We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Electrical converter/adapter for Ireland

Boston...
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Electrical converter/adapter for Ireland

I will be traveling to Ireland in June and need to know what we need to bring to power the following: hair dryer, older Iphone, newer Iphone, and older Kindle

Do I just need an adapter or both adapter and converter?

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,055 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Electrical converter/adapter for Ireland

We can't say - you'll need to check the owner's manuals for these items. If the hairdryer is 120/240, then you'll prob see a switch on it. If not, then you'll need a converter.

As for the expensive electronics - you'd better check the manuals, or the manufacturers' websites. Take care with these, or you'll blow them up

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,243 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Electrical converter/adapter for Ireland

Are you renting a car? The reason I ask is that you could always play it safe and just charge the more expensive electronics in the car on your driving days (that is what we did in Sept/Oct)...provided you have a car charger for each.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,139 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Electrical converter/adapter for Ireland

If the hair dryer is designed only for 110 volts, do not try to use it in Ireland. A voltage converter powerful enough for a hair dryer would be the size and weight of a brick. Buy a dual-voltage travel model.

Look at the chargers for the iPhones and Kindle. If they have small print reading "110-220 Volts" (or similar figures), all you need is a plug adaptor to use a US plug in an Irish outlet.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
862 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Electrical converter/adapter for Ireland

Most the B&Bs and Hotels I've looked at have hair dryers so unless you are doing self catering I would leave the hair dryer home. One less thing to weigh down your luggage.

Besides to paraphrase the experience of one of the other posters here on TA "no matter what you do your hair is going to be a mess".

Boston...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Electrical converter/adapter for Ireland

I'm also traveling to ireland but in May. Can you download and use skype on a Kindle Fire?

Thanks,

Ivy

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
11 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Electrical converter/adapter for Ireland

Since I haven't been to Ireland quite yet (scheduled to go in two weeks), I can't guarantee it will work. But at a local Target in their luggage section I found a three plug plus USB adapter that includes a "Ireland" option. I hope it's the right adapter and will work.

It claims it can recharge iphones, ipods (not ipads). It's called a Travel Smart by Conair in neon green adn blue package. I can't seem to find any on their web site so it might be an older model.

Since you are traveling in June I'll be sure to let you know if it worked when I get back. It was about $25. I like that it had multiple outlets and adapaters. The ones on amazon are cheap but don't seem to work per reviews and everything else in the stores are "multi" kits where you get a single adapter for Ireland but have to buy the whole five pack to get it.

Boston...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Electrical converter/adapter for Ireland

Thank you all for the helpful posts--leaving the hair dryer at home and checking my electronics!

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
11 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Electrical converter/adapter for Ireland

The travel smart did work in Ireland, but only because all my electronics could handle the voltage. It was especially nice to have the USB plug with my iPod touch, which I ws using in lieu of a laptop.

9. Re: Electrical converter/adapter for Ireland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 June 2013, 10:21