We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 day for Connemara & Galway November 2012

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
862 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
3 day for Connemara & Galway November 2012

As my subject says my current itinerary gives me 3 days in the Connemara/Galway area. I have been advised that the Aran's would not be a good choice for that time of year, so I have deleted them from my list.

I am not as familiar with the sights to see and things to do in this area of Ireland as I am with some of the others. I am reading up but still in need of some guidance, please.

1st day I will be driving from Fanore in N. County Clare near The Burren. So I have that day and 2 others to spend in the area. After that I will be heading back to Dublin for a couple more days before flying home. So I would like to spend at least the last of the nights in Galway.

Suggestions on places to see, drives to take, and places to stay (both town/city and lodgings) are all welcome.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,141 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 day for Connemara & Galway November 2012

You've started a number of various threads regarding this trip, and even this aspect of your itinerary. Is there nothing in the prior suggestions that are of interest to you?

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
862 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 day for Connemara & Galway November 2012

1 before some of the other posts I planned on spending 1 day on Inis Mor. Using advice heard on TA I no longer plan on doing that.

2 I also did not plan on having a car at this point in my trip. I now do.

3 I had planned on spending all three nights in Galway and taking day tours from there. Since I will now have a car I have other options.

My itinerary is still a work in progress and I am sure I will have other questions. I apologize if I am asking too many questions.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,097 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 day for Connemara & Galway November 2012

kajo, ask away....you are not asking too many questions imho.....

Edited: 20 January 2012, 21:13
Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
862 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 day for Connemara & Galway November 2012

Thanks Oma!

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,416 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 day for Connemara & Galway November 2012

Consider that day tours in November may not be an option. November - a horrid month in Ireland, not just for weather but the daylight hours - I find it a difficult time. It's not light until 08:30 and pitch black again at 5pm. Therefore it is unlilkely you will get any organised tours from Galway then. Have you checked this out?

If I had two days in Galway in November without my own transport it would be to spend my time in the city exploring duirng the day and the nights in some snuggly pub getting slowy inebriated on Guinness and hot whiskies !!

You may of course be able to take public buses out to areas of Connemara which would be beautiful (weather dependent) and that might suit you. i recommend the villages of Leenane and Letterfrack if you can get public transport out to there. Really beautiful areas and lots of scenic walking awaits you. If you plan to do this you will need to be well layered in terms of dress and leave early in order to make the most of the short days.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
862 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 day for Connemara & Galway November 2012

Bryno- In some of my initial itineraries I wasn't going to have a car while in Galway area but I have been persuaded to change my mind about that and I will now have a car.

I am not much of a drinker but a cozy pub does sound very nice.

I will check into Leenane and Letterfrack. I am bring plenty of layers, I hope. Long johns, long sleeved shirts, sweaters, jeans, fleece jacket & vest, rain jacket, hat, boots, etc.

Thanks again for the help.

Karen

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,055 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 day for Connemara & Galway November 2012

Jeans not good when wet - they weigh a ton & take forever to dry. Better are something like Lee's twills - casual & sturdy, but a lighter fabric.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
862 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 day for Connemara & Galway November 2012

@trintraveler- good to know. I have a couple pair of twill pants so I will bring those instead. Maybe 1 pair of jeans for casual evenings.

Thanks!

Karen

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,416 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 day for Connemara & Galway November 2012

Karen, having a car in Galway will change the dynamics of your trip considerably for the better.

One recommendation for you (if you like hiking in beautiful areas) I recommend the tiny village of Letterfrack and it's nearby Diamond Hill. All of this is in the area of Leenane and Kylemore abbey. Diamond Hill is part of the Connemara national park and has a good well marked track all the way up and down. (three hour hike). Views from the top of Kylemore Abbey and Lake, plus the Aran Islands will take your breath away. The journey to Letterfrack from Galway will take you a good hour or more, but it is worth it and will form the basis of a lovely day out, but only do this on a dry (preferably cloud free) day. If the weather is very bad it would be better to stay in the city. Try and leave your itinerary open for Galway, that way you can chop and change your days depending on the weather. If you don't like hiking too much then there are two or three beautiful circular drives from Galway city out and back to Connemara. Depending on how much time you have will dictate which route you should take.

I recommend you purchase the OSI (ordnance survey of Ireland) Official Road Atlas Ireland 2011-2012, an excellent atlas for visitors, not just for your trip but for getting your bearing during your itinerary tweaking !! It can be purchased online.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
18,957 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 day for Connemara & Galway November 2012

tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g186608-i1560-k5071…