We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help with Ireland Itinerary.

armidale
Level Contributor
190 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
help with Ireland Itinerary.

This is what we (family of 4 with 2 adults and 2 children aged 4 and 11 ) have so far. I think it looks a bit too much so I need suggestions. We are driving.

Day 1 and 2 Dublin

Day 3 to Kilkenny via BRAY, POWERSCOURT, ROUNDWOOD AND GLENDALOUGH (Kilkenny stay)

Day 4 to Cork via THOMASTOWN,CASHEL, TPPERARY,LISMORE (Cork stay)

Day 5 Cork town and Blarney ,plus Cobh (Cork stay)

Day 6 Leave Cork and drive the Coastal drive via Kinsale, Clonakilty, castletownhend, Skibbereen, Mizenhead,Bantry and up to KILLARNEY (Killarney stay o/n)

Day 7 Muckross House, Ross castle, Gap of Dunloe (Killarney stay o/n)

Day 8 Ring of Kerry and Dingle Penninsula (Don't know whether to stay another night at Killarney here or drive up to Adare/Limerick area ready to explore there the next day)

Day 9 Adare, Limerick, Bunratty Castle and Dromoland Castle (drive on to and stay at Lahinch o/n) (IS THIS TOO MUCH HERE)

Day 10 Cliffs of Moher,Burren (stay o/n Ballyvaughan)

Day 11 Bally vaughan (ballyvaughan o/n)

Day 12 Through Galway to connemara and Cong (Don't know where to stay o/n) as we have to be back in Dublin late afternoon the next day.

What should I cut out?????? or stay longer????? Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou....

Blarney Castle & Gardens
Castles, Historic Sites, Points of Interest & Landmarks, Historic Walking Areas
Kilkenny Castle
Historic Sites, Castles
Trim Castle
Castles, Historic Sites
Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: help with Ireland Itinerary.

Much better: just a few tweaks and you'll have a great itinerary!

Day 4

Still very busy: you have at least 3hrs on the road, and even if you only spend 20 minutes at Jerpoint Abbey (there's a super little "treasure hunt" where the children are asked to find carved animals and figures within the Abbey), 3hrs in Kilkenny, 1.5hrs at Cashel and 1hr at Cahir, that's almost a 9-hr day - and don't forget to stop for lunch/rest break!

Day 5

If you're going to Cobh, then maybe also visit Fota Wildlife as it's nearby and I imagine it's something the children might like?

http://www.fotawildlife.ie/

If not, then maybe visit Cobh in the morning, then travel across to Kinsale and see Charles Fort in the afternoon. There's a ferry from Cobh across to Ringaskiddy, which would save alot of time as you avoid Cork city that way:

passagewestmonkstown.ie/cross-river-ferry.asp

http://www.kinsale.ie/kinshist.htm

heritageireland.ie/en/south-west/CharlesFort/

Day 6

Cork city and Blarney Castle

Day 9

No point back-tracking to Killarney; it would make your day on Dingle very rushed, particularly if you're going to visit Blasket, where you'll need a couple of hours at least.

Second the recommendation of Pax Guest House: superb!

Day 10

You'll drive through/past Limerick to get to Bunratty Castle, so it would be a waste of time to drive back to Limerick when you're heading onwards to the Burren.

So, either spend the morning in Dingle town (maybe the Aquarium and a bit of shopping??) before heading to Limerick for the afternoon/night.

Or, leave Dingle and drive straight to Limerick to look around, then go on to Bunratty village in the afternoon (take note of entry times):

shannonheritage.com/Attractions/BunrattyCast…

My children really enjoy the folk park; look out for the Irish wolfhounds: they're huge! Although we've visited twice already, we'll probably go back again this year as they enjoy it so much - particularly running around the children's "play fort".

There's a nice b&b in Bunratty village a short walk from the Castle and restaurants/pubs:

http://www.bunrattycourtyard.com/

day 11

Bunratty Village and Folk Park in the morning if not visited the previous day, or drive up to the Cliffs of Moher then around Black Head (coast road with lovely views of Galway Bay) to Ballyvaughan. You might even have time to visit Aillwee and Burren Birds of Prey in the afternoon.

Day 12

Yes, it really is too far to visit Connemara as a day trip from Ballyvaughan.

Recommend a further day in this area; there's so much to see, like Corcomroe Abbey, Burren Perfumery, Caherconnel Fort, Burren Centre with Kilfenora Cathedral and High Crosses . . . . let alone simple pleasures like taking a walk along Lahinch or Fanore beaches.

Day 13

Leave Ballyvaughan and drive along the coast (possibly stop at Corcomroe Abbey this morning, as it lies inland from Bellharbour, which is on your route), through Kinvara Village, possibly visiting Dunguaire Castle (check web-site for opening times):

shannonheritage.com/Attractions/…

there's a super farmers' market in Kinvara on Friday mornings, by the way.

On through Kilcolgan, Clarinbridge and towards Galway where you'll pick up the motorway on the outskirts. The motorway part of the drive is Dull, dull, dull! To make the most of the day, look for the sign to Clonmacnoise (before you reach Athlone) and stop here for a while:

heritageireland.ie/en/…

It's still a very full itinerary: your days are going to be very busy and there won't be much spare time or "free time" to add other things, but it is doable.

:-)

armidale
Level Contributor
190 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: help with Ireland Itinerary.

Thanks so much..Sarnia G...Do you think you could take a look at my new itinerary... I'm a bit anxious as my hubby is booking accommodation and I want to make sure I've got it right. Thankyou

armidale
Level Contributor
190 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: help with Ireland Itinerary.

Sorry Sarnia G...Your reply came through at the same time i sent mine to you to ask you to look at my new itinerary....HAHA. Thanks

armidale
Level Contributor
190 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: help with Ireland Itinerary.

Well here it is.. Any final suggestions or comments from anyone would be greatly appeaciated.

Day 1-2 Dublin (found a great apartmant in central Dublin on airbnb...a great site...highly recommended)

Day 3- Dublin-Powerscourt-Glendalough-Thomastown (Thomastown o/n)

Day 4- Jerpoint Abbey- Kilkenny-Cashel then head to Cork (leaving OUT Cahir...we just don't have the time in this full day) (Cork o/n)

Day 5- Cork-Cobh-Kinsale via ferry to Ringaskiddy) taking in Charles fort (back to Cork o/n)

Day 6- Cork City/ Blarney Castle (Cork o/n)

Day 7- Cork- Killarney (via stop at toy soldier factory) doing Muckross House, Ross Castle and Gap of Dunloe (Killarney o/n)

Day 8- Ring of Kerry (Sneem and skelligchocolate factory as must sees) (Killarney o/n)

Day 9- Dingle Penninsula (Pax House, Dingle o/n)

Day 10- Dingle Via Adare to Limerick (looking at all 3 places that day) (onto Bunratty Village o/n)

QUESTION: We want to do a castle banquet and would like to do it this night at Bunratty or later at Dunguaire Castle....Any suggestions????)

Day 11- Bunratty Castle folk park/castle in morning then via Lahinch (beach walk) to Cliffs of Moher and Black Head coast road to Ballyvaughan (Ballyvaughan o/n)

Day 12- Ailwee cave/Burren ctr/Corcomroe Abbey

This is where I thought we would spend about 2 hours at Dunguaire Castle in th eafternoon before doing the banquet dinner at night....Is this enough time at the castle before the banquet) (Ballyvaughan o/n)

day 13.... FINAL CONFUSION

We fly out of Dublin the next day so we have this whole day to get back to Dublin. We had hoped to get to Newgrange before heading into Dublin. Do you think we could do this in the one day. There is also supposed to be a nice castle called Tullynally Castle which is worth the detour?????? What do you think?????????????

Also what is the weather likely to be like at this time of year and how long are the daylight hours...Thanks so much for the extensive and valuable advise. My life has been made so much easier through all this help. I really am greatful.

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: help with Ireland Itinerary.

Looks great!

Hope we haven't made a fatal error: can't see anywhere on your posts where you mention what time of year you're visiting???

Apologies: it's usually one of the first questions that's asked and I don't know how it got missed.

Here's a guide to day-light hours:

http://www.galway.net/about/daylight.html

Weather forecasts can be checked here:

http://www.met.ie/

Few final comments:

Banquet: I've not done either banquet, so it may be wise to post a separate question asking if folk have a preference.

Day 11

Lahinch Beach: just check the tides, as there may not be much beach to walk along if the tide is high.

Day 12

It won't take 2hrs to look around Dunguaire Castle: it's a small "tower" castle and will probably take at most 1hr to look around. Bunratty is much bigger and of course with the Folk Park, will take a couple hours at least.

Day 13

Newgrange is one of the most fascinating sites in Ireland. If you get an early start from Ballyvaughan, you could be there by lunchtime. However, alot will depend on time of year you're visiting. We visited in August, and by lunchtime all the tours for the rest of the day were fully booked.

I've not visited Tullynally: the gardens look gorgeous. The surrounding area is lovely and slightly off the main tourist trail:

http://www.tullynallycastle.com/#!walk-through-the-gardens

Not sure if the castle itself is open to visitors . . . . from the web-site it looks like gardens only.

Apologies, just about to go to airport, so will have to keep this brief!

Back on Sunday afternoon.

armidale
Level Contributor
190 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: help with Ireland Itinerary.

Thanks so much. We're there in June 14-26th. Think I'm happy with Itinerary now. We are Vaughan's so intend to spend the second last night in Kilfenora and wine and dine and dance at Vaughan's pub (next door to a hostel there) haha and still explore Burren etc and then have a night at Vaughan's lodge in Ballyvaughan (maybe a bit silly but...the thing's you do...it'll make for a good story). Then we will head off early to Tullynally castle and Newgrange. We don't have to be in Dublin until late that night so I think we're all good. You've been amazing. thankyou so much :)

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: help with Ireland Itinerary.

Oh - so relieved about your dates: June is a lovely time to visit Ireland. No guarantees about the weather, but it should be reasonably fine (pack a fleece/warm top and waterproof coat + shoes).

Days 11-12

So you're going to spend 1 night in Ballyvaughan, then move to Kilfenora for a further night: is that right?

Day 13

Have you checked that Tullynally Castle is open the day you plan to visit? The website states that the gardens are open Thursday through Sunday, 1300-1800hrs only. Castle itself is not open to visitors (only groups by pre-arrangement).

I've just had a look at the mileage from Kilfenora to Dublin via Tullynally and Newgrange and you're looking at 340km, min 6hrs drive . . . . (allow 2.5-3hrs for Newgrange).

Maybe rethink Tullynally and head straight for Newgrange?

armidale
Level Contributor
190 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: help with Ireland Itinerary.

Actually night 12 is Kilfenora after a day exploring the Cliffs of Moher, Burren Centre etc and then Day 13 will be Corcomroe Abbey, Dunguaire castle and other burren sites staying at Ballyvaughan overnight. Yes we realised that Tullynally castle is not open so decided to get up and get on the road from Bally vaughan early and stop 1/2 way somewhere for a quick break and then onto Newgrange and back into Dublin in the late afternoon. We found a great B&B on the Dingle Penninsula so decided to have 2 nughts there and cut one night out in Cork so we'll just see Cork city and blarney castle. Think we'll actuall stay at a nice B&B between Cork and Blarney. (Can you suggest where we get the boat to the blasket islands and what time is best in the day to go?)

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: help with Ireland Itinerary.

Oh - you won't regret 2 nights in Dingle with the children: lovely place for families.

I like to use this ferry to Blasket; it leaves from the little harbour of Dunchaoin (Dunquin) just beyond Slea Head:

http://www.blasketisland.com/index.html

flickr.com/photos/…

flickr.com/photos/…

If you're leaving from Dingle, allow min 30 minutes to drive to Dunchaoin, plus a little time to park the car, pay for tickets and walk down the steep path to the jetty (pictures above). Recommend getting a morning boat out, which is what we did and there were only 2 other people on the boat (april last year). Don't forget, there are no facilities whatsoever on the island, so take water and maybe a picnic lunch or a snack to keep you going. You can agree a time with the boatman for your return.

Oh - and don't forget to treat yourselves to a Murphy's ice-cream in Dingle town: not cheap, but delicious "artisan" ice-cream.

Aaah, that makes sense (1st night in Clare at Kilfenora).

The following day, if you're planning to visit other sites in the Burren, then you could end up at Corcomroe, followed by Dunguaire and stay in Kinvara rather than Ballyvaughan (back-tracking), as this will save you a little time the following day.

You could stop at Clonmacnoise en-route for Newgrange. It's a beautiful monastic site overlooking the Shannon, just south of Athlone. It's clearly signed off the Galway-Dublin motorway that you'll be taking:

heritageireland.ie/en/…

sacred-destinations.com/ireland/clonmacnoise…

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: help with Ireland Itinerary.

Almost forgot:

I think you have to pay cash for the ferry across to Blasket.