We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long weekend in Ireland

O'Fallon, Illinois
Level Contributor
101 posts
102 reviews
Save Topic
Long weekend in Ireland

I'm thinking about flying to Ireland, arriving in Dublin on saturday the 17th of Feb, renting a car and driving over to Galway to see the cliffs and whatever else I decide to do then flying out of Dublin on the 21st so it would be a 3day/3night trip basically.

Worth it? What should I definitely see in that short time? I'm thinking the Cliffs of Moher, Connemara area, The Guinness Storehouse. What else is a must see and within driving distance of Dublin/Galway.

Also, I know it rains a lot but I love rain. How is the weather in mid-Feb? Cold?

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Galway
Galway
County Galway, Ireland
Connemara
Connemara
County Galway, Ireland
Guinness Storehouse
Guinness Storehouse
35,134 Reviews
Dublin, Ireland
Dublin
Level Contributor
168 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long weekend in Ireland

I don't know, I think you're taking on a lot there in terms of how much you can see/do in three days.

If you can fly to Shannon and concentrate on the west, or fly to Dublin and stay on the east coast, I think that would be a better plan.

It won't be warm in February but the winter has been very mild so far so I'd be surprised if it's very cold. One thing though, it gets dark quite early which will limit how much time you have for places like Connemara and Cliffs of Moher.

Mentioned in this post
Shannon
Shannon
County Clare, Ireland
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Connemara
Connemara
County Galway, Ireland
Dublin
Level Contributor
1,518 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Long weekend in Ireland

Yeah fly to Shannon, leaves you much closer to The Cliffs of Moher and Galway.If you wanted to push it then depart from Dublin spending your last day and night there.Drive from Galway to Dublin is approx 2.5 hours

Mentioned in this post
Shannon
Shannon
County Clare, Ireland
Galway
Galway
County Galway, Ireland
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
O'Fallon, Illinois
Level Contributor
101 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Long weekend in Ireland

Thanks for the help!

margaritaville - That's what I was thinking. Leaving Dublin right when I land, spending saturday and sunday on the west coast then making my way back to Dublin on monday, visiting the guinness storehouse and whatever else I decide to see, sleeping and going to the airport the next day. Flight would be later in the day so I would have a little time tuesday morning also.

Still playing around with my plans

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
4. Re: Long weekend in Ireland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 March 2013, 09:25