We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ring of Kerry vs Dingle Peninsula? If you had to choose one.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
111 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Ring of Kerry vs Dingle Peninsula? If you had to choose one.

We will only be in Ireland for a week and don't have time to do everything we want to do in that short period. If we have to choose ROK or Dingle Peninsula, which is best for the first time traveler to Ireland to visit? We'll be staying in Killarney.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,992 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Ring of Kerry vs Dingle Peninsula? If you had to choose one.

"then hopefully see a bit of Dingle on the journey..."

Don't understand what you mean?

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,392 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Ring of Kerry vs Dingle Peninsula? If you had to choose one.

Harvey it means that some of Dingle can be seen on the journey from Killarney to Dromoland. As only God knows what the weather will be like no one knows if Slea Head or the Connor Pass would be worthwhile but Fog Howling Gales and sub zero Snow permitting.. hopefully.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
111 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Ring of Kerry vs Dingle Peninsula? If you had to choose one.

we'll be in Ireland during the height of tourist season (1st week of July). I'm definitely checking out all the links and suggestions! Thanks so much! I'm so glad I found this forum-I love it!

quiggers
Level Contributor
21 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Ring of Kerry vs Dingle Peninsula? If you had to choose one.

I agree the ROK Is the better choice,particularly as you are starting from Killarney. Saying that on the Dingle tour there is the Blasket Island Interpretive Ctr which is very good. Whilst in Killarney if you are fit enough hire bikes and cycle into Muckross Gardens and cycle around the lakes,half a day would be plenty,if you were young and fit maybe 3 hours,what's the rush?

Edited: 29 January 2012, 14:57
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
111 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Ring of Kerry vs Dingle Peninsula? If you had to choose one.

quiggers-Thanks for they cycling suggestion. That sounds very fun! This trip is both my husband and my 50th birthday present (I'm considering that to be young!). We are in good shape and athletic. Our children will be along with us (ages 27, 23 and 19). Not sure if we could get them excited about the biking. But will definitely look into that. We plan to devote a whole day to the ROK. Thank you for the great idea!

Level Contributor
73 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Ring of Kerry vs Dingle Peninsula? If you had to choose one.

Hi Tony2

many thanks for answering Harveys question that was for me and i missed as ive been away from my computer since sat evening...

Jennifer, I hope you and your family have a lovely time in Ireland and you'll have the benefit of long summer days in july:-)

North Platte...
Level Contributor
362 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Ring of Kerry vs Dingle Peninsula? If you had to choose one.

Howdy Jenn,

I would not say the question here is: Ring of Kerry vs Dingle Peninsula?

I would say how many more days would we need to add the Dingle? At least one, but preferably two.

Take the extra days! You will never regret it!

Have a great trip.

SandBilly

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,392 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Ring of Kerry vs Dingle Peninsula? If you had to choose one.

Sure I am used to fending remarks when it comes to Dingle, they are very strong of thought down there.

The tour bus leaves Dingle Quay and takes 4 hours to do the tour of Slea Head and the Connor. So that must be how long it takes.

Of course you could spend a week or a lifetime down there but folk on the way to somewhere else can see as much as you would on the tour en route.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
111 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Ring of Kerry vs Dingle Peninsula? If you had to choose one.

You guys are the best! Thank you for more suggestions! I'm so excited about this trip I'm eating, drinking and sleeping all things Ireland! Our fridge is stocked with Guinness and my husband made beef and guinness stew last weekend!

SandBilly-I wish we could add days to our trip! We already know that we don't have near the time to see and experience Ireland comprehensively. This way, we'll have to come back!

I think we've decided to take a whole day and see the ROK, and hopefully on the way to Dromoland Castle see some of the Dingle Peninsula. Could we do Slea Head on our way?

20. Re: Ring of Kerry vs Dingle Peninsula? If you had to choose one.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2013, 10:23