We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the water safe to drink?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
26 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Is the water safe to drink?

Read in Frommer's 2010 book on Ireland some disturbing news about the safety of the drinking water in Dingle, Spiddal, and Killarney. It states that in 2007 the Irish E.P.A. found carcinogens at unacceptable levels in the water in those areas. Since we will staying at B&B's in two of those three areas in June, I was wondering if there is an update on this fact and if anyone has any information to add to that. I suppose we can just drink bottled water, but what about the water used for cooking at the restaurants and B&B's?

I haven't seen anything written on this board about this issue, so maybe it isn't an issue anymore. Just wondering...........

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is the water safe to drink?

all I can say is my daughter has lived in Dingle for 4 years and has never heard of this before, her water comes from a well.

Edited: 10 February 2012, 07:11
Dublin
Level Contributor
1,518 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is the water safe to drink?

Just make sure you mix it with whiskey before you attempt to drink it.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is the water safe to drink?

Without meaning to sound rude, you need to get a sense of perspective here,

you are flying to Ireland (100s killed in plane crashes) driving the roads every day (again hundreds killed a year), but not happy to drink the water which locals drink every day of their lives with no ill effect.

I cant think anyone in Ireland has been made ill by an overdose of water......

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,017 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is the water safe to drink?

2007 is how many years ago????

As in any country where the standard of water is highly monitored, there are going to be times when there are problems. But because of the strict monitoring these problems are flagged quickly and dealt with.

If there are problems, then there are "No Drink" and/or "Boil" notices. There are afaik no such notices in force at the moment but there may well be by the time you arrive in some location around the country. (There was one in part of County Limerick for a fortnight a few weeks ago but it has now been lifted) I don't have a crystal ball. But these are dealt with by both the local authorities and the relevant Heath Service Executives and the health and safety of people is not put at risk.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
635 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is the water safe to drink?

"Unacceptable levels", in a modern country, means that they are slightly above the amazingly low level that has been set by international consensus.

"I spent two weeks in Ireland a few years ago, and the water gave me cancer" is not a complaint I have ever heard of, so I am guessing you're safe!

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,017 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is the water safe to drink?

Just one more observation to the OP...

Do you smoke? Do you eat Barbequed or fried meat? Do you ever inhale anywhere there are car fumes? Do you eat processed meat? etc etc

Because all of the above contain known carcinogens as well.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
9,470 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is the water safe to drink?

Hi ladydi

Please see the attached report from the EPA which outlines the most recent findings regarding water safety in Ireland - it should put your mind at ease.

epa.ie/downloads/…en.html

You should however, be aware that plumbing systems in Ireland differ to those of the US and in general it is not advised to drink water from bedroom/bathroom taps. There is no problem for teeth brushing, washing etc.

Enjoy your trip to Ireland.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is the water safe to drink?

we get these 'scares' now and then in the UK, if you delve deeper it appears that you you would need to drink 10 litres of water a day for 10 years to be at even a slight risk of carcinogens. The same with food 'scares', 'eat five portions of vegetables a day' is followed by 'vegetables sprayed with chemicals cause cancer', sadly more people in the world die of a lack of food than from eating the 'wrong' sort of food.

I dont say ignore all advice from governments, but take it with a pinch of salt

(preferably salt free salt), moderation in all things.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,017 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is the water safe to drink?

And can I just elaborate on Fuchsia's comment about the water.

Because if you do drink 10 litres of water a day (even for 1 day) you will suffer water intoxication and die far faster - as in 1 day - than from any potential cancers (the water floods your system and dilutes your levels of sodium, potassium, calcium and chloride to such an extent that your neurons can't fire) - this happened to an athlete running a marathon in the US a couple of years ago - I think it might have been the New York one.

Gosh, we're full of the joys here today :o))

As Margarita has said - just focus on the Whiskey!!!!

Mentioned in this post
New York
New York
United States
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,968 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is the water safe to drink?

There were scares in 2007. These were dealt with quickly and efficiently. They were confined to the Galway area. Spiddal is the only place you have listed that was affected the rest of the information is worse than the water ever was.

Some hotels have signs stating not Drinking water above bathroom taps if they recycle water for bathing and flushing the toilets. This water is untreated and is deemed unfit to drink. By the same rules Rain is unfit to drink.