We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo Trip to Ireland

Chattanooga, TN
2 posts
Save Topic
Solo Trip to Ireland

I have been combing this forun...really great information. Thank you all in advance.

I am flying into Dublin 5/2 at 8:30 AM, back out of Shannon at 9:30 AM on 5/10. From your advice...

5/2 -- Wander Dublin, head to Kilkenny in the evening

5/3 -- From Kilkenny: enjoy the sights there, maybe Waterford or Wexford, and definitely the Rock of Cashel...head to limerick in the evening

5/4 -- Limerick: there is a Riverfest Festival that day...enjoy that...other sights??? (maybe Cliffs of Moher from there? Head to Dingle

5/5 -- From Dingle...see sights, there is a Feile na Beattaine festival...head to Galway in the evening.

5/6-8 -- stay somewhere in Galway

--An Tostal Festival -- boat racing 5/6

--Maybe to an arranged tour "Conemara and Cong"

--1/2 day horseback out of Aille (Loughrea)

--Head to Shannon

5/9 enjoy Shannon -- Ideas??? Get ready for early AM flight

Questions:

Am I better renting a car, or rail?

Does this itinerary make sense? Suggestions?

Should I book lodging in advance? Kind of like the freedom of not.

I want to see Ireland, some history, but mostly the people...my family (3 generations) are from there. I am less concerned about budget, but really do not have champaign tastes.

Thank you for any/all advice!!!

Tim

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo Trip to Ireland

Tim

On your mode of transport which will be a determining factor in where you go, car rental is the only viable option to travel between all the places you mention. Rail works between Dublin and the major towns and cities but it will not get you to places on the western seaboard like Dingle or the Cliffs of Moher. Buses are an option but timetables do not always suit.

That said, if hiring a car a) take account of jet lag and b) don't bother with a car for central Dublin - it's too much hassle for those unfamiliar with the city.

Finally, at first glance, I'd say that you are trying to cram in too much but I'll let those more familiar with the south and west comment on the specifics.

D.

2. Re: Solo Trip to Ireland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2013, 20:37