We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tesco mobile PAYG for Ireland AND the UK?

california
Level Contributor
552 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
Tesco mobile PAYG for Ireland AND the UK?

I read a post regarding this, but cannot find it now. Hopefully one of you can help me?

We are traveling to Ireland and Scotland, planning to buy a Tesco pay-as-you-go phone in Dublin for use in both countries. Does this involve changing a SIM card? Would I buy a new SIM card for the UK when I get to Scotland? I don't want to buy a monthly plan, just top-up minutes as needed.

Thank you for any help/info you can provide. :-)

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,601 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tesco mobile PAYG for Ireland AND the UK?

Probably one of mine. You would need an unlocked phone and yes a UK sim card, once you had used up the credit on the Irish one. Unfortunately whilst tesco UK give an option to buy an Irish option, tesco Ireland dont offer a UK extra.

california
Level Contributor
552 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tesco mobile PAYG for Ireland AND the UK?

Hi Tony,

Does that mean I would need to purchase another phone in the UK?

california
Level Contributor
552 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tesco mobile PAYG for Ireland AND the UK?

Or just a new SIM card once I reach Scotland?

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,601 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tesco mobile PAYG for Ireland AND the UK?

You would need a base phone that is unlocked. If you buy a cheap Tesco Ireland phone it won't take the UK card unless you spend €10 to have it unlocked at a corner phone shop. Tesco stores do have unlocked phones for sale but they are not advertised on the web site. I usually suggest picking an unlocked quad band phone off ebay so you can carry on using it when you get home or sell it again. Cant remember where you are first but you can get 2nd hand phones in Galway at the shopping centre.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
25 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tesco mobile PAYG for Ireland AND the UK?

I'm starting to look into phone usage also. If you are a Verizon customer, I saw something about a global phone for trips less then 21 days. Maybe it will work in both countries. Good luck to both of us

Virginia
Level Contributor
228 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tesco mobile PAYG for Ireland AND the UK?

The roaming fees with Verizon are very high. I purchased a cheap Tesco pay as you go phone. The minutes I have on there are good til 2014. I purchased last year and it has been quite useful. My wife had to make two trips back after our holiday last June. She was able to call me back in the states for two cents euro a minute.

california
Level Contributor
552 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tesco mobile PAYG for Ireland AND the UK?

Ok Tony, I understand now. Thanks for your help! I think it probably was your earlier post that I was thinking of. :-)

Hi, AZ... We have AT&T and their international plans seem to cost more than buying the Tesco phone, especially since it appears that I would have to buy separate data and calling plans with AT&T. I think we'll get the Tesco phone for calls and texts, and use our iPad with fee wifi to check email. Those darn email ads really use up the data on my iPhone. I reset my phone 3 weeks ago to track my data usage - I sent 12mb, but received 87mb! Yikes!

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
25 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tesco mobile PAYG for Ireland AND the UK?

Thanks RG. I will look at Tesco since I will only be in Ireland.

Virginia
Level Contributor
228 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tesco mobile PAYG for Ireland AND the UK?

I think I spent 25 euro for a phone at Tesco, which included a 10 euro top off. There are more expensive phones, but I was looking for a bare bones flip phone. Not sure how data would work on the pay as you go, but smart phones are available.

10. Re: Tesco mobile PAYG for Ireland AND the UK?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2013, 20:22