We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 night Ireland trip

Litchfield...
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
10 night Ireland trip

Im headed over in about two weeks. First time visitor and really looking forward to it. Mostly interested in seeing the fantastic landscape, castles, and architecture. Any and all suggestions are welcomed.

1-Arrive in Dublin around noon. Leave bags at hotel and explore the city on foot. Find a good pub & drink some of the black stuff

2- Dublin- Jail, Guinness, St Patrick’s. Find a good pub & drink some of the black stuff

3- Dublin- Trinity, Green, Newman house. Early dinner then off to the Ireland vs Czech Rep game at Aviva stadium.

(any suggestions for pubs in that area prior to game would be great)

4- Check out in the morning, take bus to airport, and hire car. Drive to Kilkenny. See castle and Smethwick’s tour. o/n kilkenny

Pub, craic and black stuff

5- Kilkenny- st cathedral, drive to ROC, then Cahir castle. Then drive to cork. Check in at B&B. Pub, craic and black stuff

6- Cork English Market, drive down to cohb or blarney castle

Explore city on foot

7- Cork- Check out. Drive to Muckross house. O/n Kenmare

8- Kenmare- Dingle peninsula. o/n kenmare

Pubs, drink murphy’s

9- Kenmare- ROK or beara peninsula

Pubs, drink murphy’s

10- Checkout. Drive to Trim. Trim castle. o/n trim. Depart Dublin the following morning

Christ Church Cathedral
Architectural Buildings, Sacred & Religious Sites, Historic Sites, Churches & Cathedrals
Clonmacnoise
Historic Sites, Churches & Cathedrals
St.James Church
Churches & Cathedrals
Royal Abbey of Cong
Historic Sites, Churches & Cathedrals
Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 night Ireland trip

Two points:

Day 3 - there are plenty of pubs in the vicinity of the Aviva, with a concentration in Baggot Street.

Day 10 - It's a long drive from Kenmare to Trim - particularly as the Castle is only open at weekends between now and Easter, and it's unclear if your schedule has you there at a weekend. See heritageireland.ie/en/…

Litchfield...
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 night Ireland trip

thanks for your reply!

I will look into pubs in the baggot st area. Id like to find a pub where many of the supporters will be prior to game.

Yes it is a long drive... 4.5- 5hrs?? Thanks for the heads up about trim castle.

Regretfully, ill be in trim on a wenesday. Thats too bad as i was really looking forward to seeing that. Guess ill have to plan that for the next trip.

cheers-d

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
12,465 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 night Ireland trip

When in Cork, you can get the train to Cobh, free up some time for a few pints of Murphy's!

Litchfield...
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 night Ireland trip

thanks harvey!

My little brother did a study abroad at the university. He mentioned taking the train to cobh.

Im staying at a B&B on wellington st. Any good pubs nearby?

Ive read Costigans is good but havent looked yet how far a walk it is.

cheers!

Litchfield...
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 night Ireland trip

Just wanted to put this to the top one more time to see if anyone else

had any last minute suggestions for me.

Leaving tommorow and ill be in Dublin on monday.

Cant wait!

cheers

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,591 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 10 night Ireland trip

Trim is worth a visit even if you didn't get to the castle. A walk along the Boyne to Newtown Abbey would be good after a long drive, but you might feel the extra time getting there will not be worth it considering the Castle will be closed. If you're looking for an alternative consider Malahide, a quick search here on TA will tell you all you need, it's a good alternative.

The train journey from Cork to Cobh is far more interesting than the drive if you ask me! And the train will drop you more or less in the centre of Cobh. After seeing what you would like to and making the trek to the Cathedral try Jack Doyles for a pint, I prefer Beamish to Murphy's but I'm not a serious stout drinker! After that order a potato pie from the chipper across the road, I think it's called The Good Food Corner, and wash it down with a can of Tanora.

Were you thinking about going to Spike Island? …blogspot.com/2011/06/new-schedule-for-micha…

Brú, LV and Lowery's are all on MacCurtain St close to where you are staying, I'd also try Franciscan Well and Bierhaus too, but then again, I'm biased toward craft beer at the moment! One the subject of craft beer, do try some stout other than Guinness, Murphy's and Beamish, we have lots of lovely stout in this country not made by big global companies, look for Trouble Brewing Dark Arts, Galway Bay Stout, O'Hara's Stout and Shandon Stout to name but a few.

Enjoy!

7. Re: 10 night Ireland trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 June 2013, 10:19