We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 week self drive tour of Ireland

Sylacauga, Alabama
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
2 week self drive tour of Ireland

We are 2 Sr. couples who would like to visit Ireland for 2 weeks in late April, early May. We are planning to fly into Dublin, rent a car, drive a loop of Ireland while staying in different areas for 2-3 nights (in B&B, self-catering,etc). Would we be better off financially booking air, car and B&B separately or booking an independent driving tour through CIE? We also would like to know the best sites for B&B in Ireland (keeping the price around $100 per night per couple). Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,107 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 week self drive tour of Ireland

You could tour a few days and drive your selves a few days or just take one of the options.

2 weeks would be the absolute minimum to drive the coastline of the Island of Ireland but there would probably be a few one night stays in that mix.

Fly Drive packages can offer good value but stay away from accommodation vouchers,

Once you work out an itinerary then there are many on here who will recommend accommodation in your chosen places.

Sylacauga, Alabama
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 week self drive tour of Ireland

Thank you for your response. We have booked our own airfare and car rental. Now to decide on where to stay and how long. We were thinking of staying 3-4 nights in Killarney area, 3-4 nights in Cong area, 3 nights in Londonderry area, and 2 nights in Dublin area. How does this sound? We would do day trips out of each area. Do you have other suggestions?

savoy, il
Level Contributor
22 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 week self drive tour of Ireland

Why are you against vouchers? We also are going to be taking a similar trip in April 2013 and are thinking that Ireland will not be crowed and easy to get b&b and/or castles? We also have our airfare and Dublin hotels but not the car. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,412 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 week self drive tour of Ireland

Accommodation vouchers are bad value. It will be cheaper if you deal direct with each B&B. In addition, they are not universally accepted, which severly limits your occommodation choices, particularly in the more remote areas.

I usually recommned Dan Dooley for car hire, but deal direct with the company NOT through a third party agent

Edited: 31 October 2012, 15:00
Canada
Level Contributor
5,730 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 week self drive tour of Ireland

Glenda- I compared both options before my trip and save a pile of $ doing the bookings myself! Remember companies like CIE have to make a profit somewhere!

I used some of these sites plus Trip Advisor reviews to decide where I wanted to stay. You should easily be able to get good accommodation for less than $100

www.bandbireland.com/

www.ireland-bnb.com/

discoverireland.ie/Where-To-Stay/Irish-Home-…

Plant Lady- I had my travel agent give me a list of BB's that one company used and for the areas I wanted to stay in, a lot of the choices did not get great reviews on TA and tended to be out-of-the-way.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,107 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 week self drive tour of Ireland

B&B's pay to join the voucher scheme as a form of advertising I suppose but whilst they get business from that source of "captive audience" whereas the majority of B&B's are perfectly happy getting repeat business and word of mouth referrals to supplement normal advertising.

Don't get me wrong some voucher accepting B&B's are good but why pay €45+pp for a €30/35 pp bed?

7. Re: 2 week self drive tour of Ireland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 00:18